Violet Line (Delhi Metro)
fleets of Violet line.
|Opening||October 3, 2010|
|Operator(s)||Delhi Metro Rail Corporation|
|Character||Underground and Elevated|
|Rolling stock||Mitsubishi-ROTEM-BEML Standard gauge|
|Line length||23.41 kilometres (14.55 mi)|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) standard gauge|
|Electrification||25 kV, 50 Hz AC through overhead catenary|
The Violet Line is one of the six lines of the Delhi Metro, a rapid transit system in Delhi, India. The line connects Mandi House station of Blue Line via Central Secretariat station of Yellow Line with Badarpur. The line consists of 18 metro stations with a total length of 23.41 kilometres (14.55 mi). The Central Secretariat—Sarita Vihar section of the line was opened on October 3, 2010 and was extended to Badarpur on January 14, 2011. The line was extended from Central Secretariat up to Mandi House on June 26, 2014.
The Violet Line was originally supposed to open in March 2010. On July 12, 2009, a portion of a bridge under construction collapsed when its cantilever pier collapsed on load of launching girder at Zamrudpur, near East of Kailash, on the Central Secretariat – Badarpur corridor. Six people were killed and 15 others injured. The day after, on July 13, 2009, a crane that was removing the debris collapsed, and with a bowling pin effect collapsed two other nearby cranes, injuring six.
- October 3, 2010: Central Secretariat — Sarita Vihar
- January 14, 2011: Sarita Vihar — Badarpur
- June 26, 2014: Mandi House — Central Secretariat
DMRC have placed an order for additional rolling stock for the line. The Delhi Metro phase III project will have more than 1,800 coaches by the year 2015-16. Projecting the needs, additional 60 coaches will be required for the Faridabad Line and 32 more coaches will be required for the Green Line extension.
|Delhi Metro Violet Line|
The line starts as underground from Central Secretariat till Jangpura, passing under Khan Market and Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium. Then the elevated portion goes through Lajpat Nagar, Kailash Colony, Nehru Place, Okhla, Sarita Vihar, till the Badarpur Station. Length of each platform is 140 meters with a width of 6.5 meteres. Beyond Mandi House and Badarpur towards Kashmere Gate & YMCA Chowk respectively, Violet Line under phase 3 of Delhi Metro is under construction.
|1||Kashmere Gate||कश्मीरी गेट||red Line
|2||Red Fort||लाल किला||None||Underground|
|3||Jama Masjid||जामा मस्जिद||None||Underground|
|4||Delhi Gate||दिल्ली गेट||None||Underground|
|5||ITO||आई टी ओ||None||Underground|
|6||Mandi House||मण्डी हाऊस||June 26, 2014||Blue Line||Underground|
|7||Janpath||जनपथ||June 26, 2014||None||Underground|
|8||Central Secretariat||केंद्रीय सचिवालय||July 3, 2005||Yellow Line||Underground|
|9||Khan Market||खान मार्केट||October 3, 2010||None||Underground|
|10||Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium||जवाहरलाल नेहरू स्टेडियम||October 3, 2010||None||Underground|
|11||Jangpura||जंगपुरा||October 3, 2010||None||Underground|
|12||Lajpat Nagar||लाजपत नगर||October 3, 2010||None||Elevated|
|13||Moolchand||मूलचन्द||October 3, 2010||None||Elevated|
|14||Kailash Colony||कैलाश कॉलोनी||October 3, 2010||None||Elevated|
|15||Nehru Place||नेहरू प्लेस||October 3, 2010||None||Elevated|
|16||Kalkaji Mandir||कालकाजी||October 3, 2010||None||Elevated|
|17||Govind Puri||गोविन्दपुरी||October 3, 2010||None||Elevated|
|18||Okhla||ओखला||October 3, 2010||None||Elevated|
|19||Jasola Apollo||जसोला अपोलो||October 3, 2010||None||Elevated|
|20||Sarita Vihar||सरिता विहार||October 3, 2010||None||Elevated|
|21||Mohan Estate||मोहन एस्टेट||January 14, 2011||None||Elevated|
|22||Tughlakabad||तुगलकाबाद||January 14, 2011||None||Elevated|
|23||Badarpur||बदरपुर||January 14, 2011||None||Elevated|
|25||NHPC Chowk||एन एच पी सी चौक||None||Elevated|
|26||Mewla Maharajpur||मेवला महाराजपुर||None||Elevated|
|27||Sector 27 A||सेक्टर 27 ए||None||Elevated|
|28||Badkhal Mor||बङखल मोङ||None||Elevated|
|29||Faridabad Old||पुराना फरीदाबाद||None||Elevated|
|31||Faridabad New||नया फरीदाबाद||None||Elevated|
|32||YMCA Chowk||वाई एम सी ए चौक||None||Elevated|
This line will have standard gauge trains manufactured by a consortium of Mitsubishi-ROTEM-BEML. A total of 196 cars were ordered which are supposed to run in 4-car configuration (46 trains) and 6-car configuration (2 trains). These trains will be used in this line and Green line. One train was manufactured in Changwon in South Korea and rest of the trains are manufactured at BEML's facility in Bangalore. Trains are 1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) standard gauge as compared to 1,676 mm (5 ft 6 in) of broad gauge trains.
Approved Extension: North Bound
Under phase III of the Delhi Metro, the Violet Line is being extended to Kashmere Gate passing beneath one of Asia's busiest road intersections, the ITO as well as various heritage sites such as Delhi gate, Jama masjid and the famous Red Fort before terminating at Kashmere Gate. The 9.36 km extension will start from Central Secretariat station and pass through Mandi House station which will provide an interchange point with the Blue Line. The extension is expected to reduce over-crowding at the busy Rajiv Chowk interchange and will also reduce the number of times commuters on the Violet Line need to transfer in order to get onto the Blue Line.
After the opening of the first section up to Mandi House on June 26, 2014, future stations under cnstruction along this extension are (northbound):
- Delhi Gate
- Jama Masjid
- Red Fort
- Kashmere Gate (interchange to Red Line & Yellow Line(in-future))
Approved Extension: South Bound
An extension from the Badarpur-end of the line is anticipated by 2015 and will cater to the sub-city colonies of Faridabad. This will be the second line to cross the Delhi-Haryana border after the Yellow Line to Gurgaon. This extension will run fully elevated for 13.87 km and will have 9 stations as follows (southbound):
2) NHPC Chowk
3) Mewla Maharajpur
4) Sector 27 A
5) Badkal Mor
6) Faridabad Old Town
8) Faridabad New Town
9) YMCA chowk
- http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report_delhi-metro-to-jln-stadium-rolls-out-phase-ii-almost-complete_1446853 Delhi metro to JLN Stadium rolls out, Phase-II almost complete
- "DMRC opens Sarita Vihar-Badarpur section". The Hindu. 2011-01-14. Retrieved 2011-01-14.
- "Metro finally at Badarpur". The Times of India. 2011-01-14. Retrieved 2011-01-14.
- "Badarpur to be linked to Metro network today". Indian Express. 2011-01-14. Retrieved 2011-01-14.
- "DMRC opens Sarita Vihar–Badarpur section". Hindustan Times. 2011-01-14. Retrieved 2011-01-14.
- "Delhi Metro's Mandi House-Central Secretariat line opens". 26 June 2014. Retrieved 13 August 2014.
- "A chronology of Delhi Metro accidents". Indo-Asian News Service (Hindustan Times Online). 2009-07-12. Retrieved 2009-07-12.
- Megha Suri (2009-07-14). "Day 2: 3 cranes fall, Metro image takes beating". The Times of India. Retrieved 2010-01-06.
- "Central Secretariat to become an interchange station soon". The Hindu (Chennai, India). December 21, 2009.
- "Metro to JLN Stadium rolls out". Hindustan Times. 2010-10-03. Retrieved 2010-10-03.
- "Metro's new east-south link to cut travel time". The Times Of India. September 19, 2010.
- "Now, suburb hopes for a Metro extension". The Times Of India. November 30, 2010.