Violet Township, Fairfield County, Ohio
|Violet Township, Fairfield County, Ohio|
|Motto: "A great place to grow your family or business"|
Municipalities and townships of Fairfield County.
|• Total||41.6 sq mi (107.8 km2)|
|• Land||41.5 sq mi (107.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||879 ft (268 m)|
|• Density||648.2/sq mi (250.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086084|
Violet Township is one of the thirteen townships of Fairfield County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 26,914 people in the township, 16,893 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the northwestern corner of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Etna Township, Licking County - north
- Liberty Township - east
- Greenfield Township - southeast corner
- Bloom Township - south
- Madison Township, Franklin County - southwest
- Truro Township, Franklin County - northwest
Several municipalities are partially located in Violet Township:
- The village of Canal Winchester, in the southwest
- The city of Columbus, the capital of Ohio, in the northwest
- The city of Pickerington, in the west
- The city of Reynoldsburg, in the far northwest
Name and history
It is the only Violet Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Fairfield County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.