5 July 1956 |
Early life and education
Vir Sanghvi is an Indian editor and also a television personality. Currently, he is Editorial Director of the Hindustan Times. Sanghvi was brought up in Bombay (now Mumbai) and London and educated at Mayo College, Ajmer, and Mill Hill School, London. He went on to read politics, philosophy and economics at Brasenose College, Oxford.
His show Custom Made for Vir Sanghvi on NDTV Goodtimes, where he travels across India, in search of the most luxurious and bespoke 'Indian' experiences has received high ratings and been renewed for a second season. His published books include Rude Food, India – Then and Now and Men of Steel (a collection of profiles of India's leading businessmen) which has been translated into 10 other languages and is a huge best-seller. He has also authored a biography of the late Madhavrao Scindia, which was released by Sonia Gandhi in 2009, in Delhi.
Nira Radia tapes
In 2010, Sanghvi was connected to the Nira Radia tapes. In the audio tape Sanghvi was heard asking "What kind of story do you want?" It is alleged that he made some points suggested by Radia in his article titled 'Time for some transparency' under Sanghvi's column "Counterpoint". Sanghvi denied all allegations and uploaded the article onto his website for readers to make their own judgement. On 27 November 2010, Sanghvi released a detailed statement in the Hindustan Times, clarifying his role, and also raising the possibility of the tapes being edited. Due to the heightened interest in him Sanghvi temporarily suspended his weekly article "Counterpoint".
In January 2012, The Union Government told the Supreme Court that the Radia tapes broadcast by media organisations were tampered with and the government agencies were not responsible for its leakage.
Books By Vir Sanghvi
- Men of Steel – India's business leaders in candid conversation with Vir Sanghvi, Roli Books Pvt Ltd, India (Jan 2007) ISBN 81-7436-474-9
- Rude Food: The Collected Food Writings of Vir Sanghvi, Penguin Putnam (2004) ISBN 0-14-303139-2
- India Then and Now : Now/Vir Sanghvi. New Delhi, Roli, 2006, 274 p., $120. ISBN 81-7436-397-1.
- 26/11:The Attack on Mumbai, Penguin, 2009, ISBN 978-0-14-306705-4
- Madhavrao Scindia: A life, Penguin, 2009, ISBN 978-0-670-08254-4
- Vir Sangvi columns Rediff.com
- Vir Sangvi columns Mint
- Vir Sangvi columns Hindustan Times
- Rude Food – The Collected Food Writings of Vir Sanghvi Hindustan Times
- Counterpoint Hindustan Times
- Face Off with Vir Sanghavi Indian Express, 24 June 1997.
- List of University of Oxford people.
- Vir Sangvi profile – HT Leadership Summit Hindustan Times.
- "What kind of story do you want?". openthemagazine.com. 20 November 2010.
- "Time for some transparency". Hindustan Times. 20 June 2009. Retrieved 2012-03-08.
- Jebaraj, Priscilla (24 November 2010). "The spotlight is on the media now". Chennai, India: thehindu.com.
- "India's Independent Weekly News Magazine". Tehelka. Retrieved 2012-03-08.
- [http://bhadas4media.com/article-comment/7449-2010-11-20-02-28-02.html Article by Amitabh Thakur[dead link]
- "Setting the record straight". 27 November 2010.
- "Niira Radia tapes tampered: Centre tells Supreme Court – Economic Times". Economictimes.indiatimes.com. 31 January 2012. Retrieved 2012-03-08.
- "Niira Radia tapes released by media tampered with: Centre to Supreme Court". Ndtv.com. 31 January 2012. Retrieved 2012-03-08.
- "Radia tapes were tampered with: Centre to SC – India News – IBNLive". Ibnlive.in.com. Retrieved 2012-03-08.