Virginia Cavalry FC
|Full name||Virginia Cavalry Football Club|
|Stadium||Edelman Financial Field
|Owner||Loudoun Professional Soccer, LLC (LPS)|
|League||North American Soccer League|
|Website||Club home page|
Virginia Cavalry FC is a planned American professional soccer team based in Ashburn, Virginia. Founded in 2012, the team is expected to make its debut in the North American Soccer League (NASL), the second division of professional soccer in the United States soccer league system, in 2016.
On November 20, 2012 the North American Soccer League announced that a Virginia expansion team would join the league for the 2014 season upon the completion of a new multi-sport stadium project in the One Loudoun development in Ashburn, known as Edelman Financial Field. Loudoun Professional Soccer, LLC (LPS) was named as the ownership group of the club, with former D.C. United goalkeeper and coach Mark Simpson as Director of Soccer Operations. The franchise is owned by VIP Sports & Entertainment, who also own the proposed Loudoun Hounds minor league baseball team which is planned to share the stadium with the NASL team.
On February 6, 2013, the club announced that their name would be "Virginia Cavalry FC", with a club crest, colors and kit to follow. On April 5, the Cavalry announced its red, black, and silver color scheme and its crest's colors.
On December 6, 2013, the team announced it would push back its entrance to the NASL to the 2015 season due to delays in constructing their stadium.
In early July 2014, it was announced that the team's debut would be pushed to the 2016 season due to reorganization of ownership.
Colors and badge
Virginia Cavalry unveiled their crest on April 5, 2013. The crest features a checkboard shield with a red field in the lower lefthand and upper righthand panels, with black fields in the opposite panels. In the first panel, the letters "VAC" overlap one another, a likely allude to the styling of American baseball club logos. The next panel over shows a silhouette of a stallion, recalling the club's name. The bottom two panels are covered with a banner showing the club's name, with the letters "FC" beneath the banner.
- "NASL Announces Virginia Team to Begin Play in 2014". North American Soccer League. November 5, 2012. Retrieved November 7, 2012.
- "VIRGINIA CAVALRY FC TO BEGIN PLAY IN 2015". www.virginiacavalry.com. Virginia Cavalry FC. December 6, 2013. Retrieved December 6, 2013.
- "NASL coming to Northern Virginia". Washington Post. November 5, 2012. Retrieved November 7, 2012.
- Neibauer, Michael (June 4, 2013). "Loudoun Hounds to play ball at Edelman Financial Field". Washington Business Journal. Retrieved June 4, 2013.
- Jackman, Tom (November 27, 2013). "Bob Farren steps down as head of Loudoun Hounds, VIP Entertainment". The Washington Post. Retrieved December 6, 2013.
- "Cavalry FC, Ready to Charge the Pitch". www.virginiacavalry.com. February 6, 2013. Retrieved February 8, 2013.
- "Virginia Cavalry FC Makes Its Mark". Virginia Cavalry FC. April 5, 2013. Retrieved April 5, 2013.
- "Virginia Cavalry won’t play until 2016, says NASL commish Bill Peterson". soccerwire.com. July 10, 2014. Retrieved October 5, 2014.