Virginia de' Medici
|Duchess of Modena and Reggio|
|Art critic Maike Vogt-Lüerssen believes this portrait by Bronzino, usually identified as Maria de' Medici, is actually of Virginia de' Medici.|
|Spouse||Cesare d'Este, Duke of Modena|
Alfonso III, Duke of Modena
Laura, Duchess of Mirandola
Luigi d'Este, Lord of Montecchio and Scandiano
Angela Caterina d'Este
|Virginia de' Medici|
|House||House of Medici (by birth)
House of Este (by marriage)
|Father||Cosimo I de' Medici, Grand Duke of Tuscany|
29 May 1568|
Florence, Grand Duchy of Tuscany
|Died||15 January 1615
Modena, Duchy of Modena
Virginia de' Medici (29 May 1568 – 15 January 1615) was a natural daughter of Cosimo I de' Medici, Grand Duke of Tuscany and Camilla Martelli. She was the Duchess of Modena and Reggio by marriage to Cesare d'Este, Duke of Modena.
Virginia was born on 29 May 1568, two years before her parents married. The only child of her parents' marriage, in 1581 she was promised in marriage to Francesco Sforza di Santa Fiora, but he chose instead to accept a Cardinal's hat from Pope Gregory XIII.
On 6 February 1586 Virginia married Cesare d'Este, Duke of Modena, son of Alfonso d'Este, Lord of Montecchio, and Giulia della Rovere. They had ten children of whom three sons and a daughter would have progeny.
Virginia died on 15 January 1615; some said she was poisoned by her husband.
- Giulia d'Este (1588–1645); died unmarried.
- Alfonso III d'Este, Duke of Modena (1591–1644), Duke of Modena from 1628; married Princess Isabella of Savoy and had issue.
- Laura d'Este (1594–1630;) married Alessandro I Pico, Duke of Mirandola and had issue, ancestress of Maria Teresa Cybo-Malaspina, Duchess of Modena.
- Luigi d'Este, Lord of Montecchio and Scandiano (1593/1594–1664), had issue.
- Caterina d'Este (1595–1618); died unmarried.
- Ippolito d'Este (1599–1647); died unmarried.
- Niccolo d'Este (1601–1640); married Sveva d'Avalos, no issue.
- Borso d'Este (1605–1657); married Ippolita d'Este (daughter of his brother Luigi) and had issue.
- Foresto d'Este (1606–1639/1640)
- Angela Caterina d'Este (died 1651); died unmarried, a nun.
Virginia de' MediciBorn: 29 May 1568 Died: 15 January 1615
|Duchess consort of Ferrara
27 October 1597 – 1598
|To the Papal State|
|Duchess consort of Modena and Reggio
27 October 1597 – 15 January 1615
Title next held byMaria Caterina Farnese