Virtual observatory (VO) is a collection of interoperating data archives and software tools which utilize the internet to form a scientific research environment in which astronomical research programs can be conducted.
In much the same way as a real observatory consists of telescopes, each with a collection of unique astronomical instruments, the VO consists of a collection of data centres each with unique collections of astronomical data, software systems and processing capabilities.
The main goal is to allow transparent and distributed access to data available worldwide. This allows scientists to discover, access, analyze, and combine nature and lab data from heterogeneous data collections in a user-friendly manner.
The IVOA (International Virtual Observatory Alliance) is a standards body created by the VO projects to develop and agree the vital interoperability standards upon which the VO implementations are constructed.
- AstroGrid: the UK's Virtual Observatory Service
- Euro-VO: the European VO (a partnership of VOs including AstroGrid, the French-VO, ESO, ESA...)
- National Virtual Observatory: the USA's VO
- Virtual Observatory, India: the India's Virtual Observatory
- Iran Virtual Observatory: the Iran's Virtual Observatory
- Virtual Solar Terrestrial Observatory: Tetherless World Research Constellation at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in conjunction with the High Altitude Observatory of National Center for Atmospheric Research
- SPASE: Space Physics Archive Search and Extract
- TELEIOS: European Union-funded virtual observatory for Earth observation data. Powered by the CWI MonetDB scientific database, it provides access to TerraSAR-X archive of the DLR.
Reference List of VO sites
- Argentinian Virtual Observatory
- Armenian Virtual Observatory
- Australian Virtual Observatory
- Brazilian Virtual Observatory
- German Astrophysical Virtual Observatory
- Hungarian Virtual Observatory
- Iran Virtual Observatory
- Italian Virtual Observatory
- Japanese Virtual Observatory
- Korean Virtual Observatory
- Russian Virtual Observatory
- Spanish Virtual Observatory
- UK Virtual Observatory
- US National Virtual Observatory
- Virtual Observatory France
- Virtual Observatory, India
- Virtual Solar Terrestrial Observatory
- Ivanova, Milena and Kargin, Yagiz and Kersten, Martin and Manegold, Stefan and Zhang, Ying and Datcu, Mihai and Molina, Daniela Espinoza (2013). "Proceedings of the 25th International Conference on Scientific and Statistical Database Management". SSDBM. ACM. doi:10.1145/2484838.2484876. ISBN 978-1-4503-1921-8.
- Discussion Paper for the OECD Global Science Forum (P. J. Quinn & A. Lawrence & R. J. Hanisch)
- Talk on NEMO and theory in a virtual observatory (Peter Teuben, Univ. of Maryland)
- Virtual Observatories initiatives worldwide, State of the projects 2006 ( InterQuanta )
- Documentation on VO tools (Terapix)
- List of Seminars in VOs 2004-5 ( Meudon Observatory )
|This astronomy-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|