Virtual University of Pakistan
|Motto||A Security of Achievement– We Care...|
|Chancellor||President of Pakistan|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof Dr Naveed A. Malik|
|Location||Karachi, Lahore–Main Campus, Sindh, Punjab, Pakistan|
The Virtual University (Urdu:ورچوئل یونیورسٹی; Vu), is a public university located in urban area of Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan. Its additional campus is also located in residential area of Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan.
Established in 2002 by the Government of Pakistan to promote distance education in modern information and communication sciences as its primary objectives, the university is noted for its online lectures and broadcasting rigorous programs regardless of their students' physical locations. The university offers undergraduate and post-graduate courses in business administration, economics, computer science, and information technology. Due to its heavy reliance on serving lectures through the internet, Pakistani students residing overseas in several other countries of the region are also enrolled in the University's programs.
- 1 Recognition
- 2 Bachelor's programs
- 3 MS programs
- 4 Master's degree programs
- 5 Campuses
- 6 Distant teaching
- 7 Milestones and achievements
- 8 References
- 9 External links
Virtual University holds a federal charter from the Government of Pakistan and gets a federal recognition from the Higher Education Commission, Pakistan.
Allama Iqbal Open University and Virtual University in Pakistan, both were established with a sense of educating the poor lot of country. It has been reported that Virtual University is better than Allama Iqbal Open University. It has been preferred by the people more as compared to Allama Iqbal Open University.Allama Iqbal Open University is considered among the good universities in Pakistan. But till now it has not been awarded the grade “W” by the Higher Education Commission of Pakistan. Virtual University has been awarded the grade “W” due to quality assurance of the courses offered there. The fee structure of Allama Iqbal Open University is comparatively high as that of Virtual University. The courses offered at Virtual University are according to the course contents provided by HEC. Mostly the teachers are PhD doctors. Hence the quality of education of Virtual University is better than that of Allama Iqbal Open University.
A four-year full-time study program spread over eight semesters. Each semester has at least 18 weeks duration for teaching and examinations. All programs listed below are Bachelor's of Science except for the Bachelor's of Education in Elementary.
Computer Science, Information Technology and Software Engineering
- Computer Science
- Information Technology
- Software Engineering
- Business Administration
- Public Administration
- Business and Information Technology (BBIT)
- Accounting and Finance
- Commerce for B.Com degree holders[clarification needed]
- Mass Communication
- Banking and Finance
- B.Ed (Hons) Elementary[expand acronym]
- BS Computer Science (4year) 8 Semester
MSCS (2 year/4 semester, 30 credit hours) study program for candidates having 16 years of education.
MSBA (1.5 year/3 semester) study program for candidate having 16 years of education.
Masters Programs For VU graduates
- MCS Master of Computer Science for VU graduates
- MIT Master of Information Technology for VU graduates
- MBA Master of Business Administration for VU graduates
Master's degree programs
Students who have completed their Bachelor's degree (with at least 45% marks) from a recognized university or institution can apply for admission to:
Computer Science and Information Technology
- Master of Computer Science (MCS)computer sciences
- Master of Information Technology (MIT)
- Master of Commerce(M.Com)
- Master of Business Studies (MBS - Leading to MBA/MSBA)
- Master of Public Administration (MPA)
- Master of Business Economics (MB.Econ)
(These programs comprise seventy-two credit hours each, spread over 2 years / four semesters).
Students completing their 16-year education in computer science, information technology & Management Sciences field are given admission to advanced level degree program. According to HEC criteria, these advance level degrees are equivalent to an MS/MPhil program offered by any other university in the country.
Virtual University was founded in 2002 since which it has expanded operations to reach more than one hundred cities throughout the country with more than two hundred associated institutions providing infrastructure support to students. In addition, Pakistani students residing in several other countries in the region are also enrolled in the University's programs.
Virtual University has two types of campuses, its own, and those that are run by other organizations with modern computer lab and Internet access facilities.
VU is one of two universities of Pakistan which provides distant learning. The first one is Allama Iqbal Open University, and second is Virtual University. The students can get lectures without going to the campuses of VU. VU lectures can be seen on VU's cable channels (VTV1, VTV2, VTV3 & VTV4) on Tune and YouTube.
Milestones and achievements
- VU feasibility study final feasibility . December 8, 2001
- President of Pakistan inaugurated the Virtual University of Pakistan. March 23, 2002
- First batch of 500 students starts classes. March 26, 2002
- Federal Charter granted by Government of Pakistan. September 1, 2002
- VU start broadcasts over its own TV channels VTV1 and VTV2. June 15, 2004
- VU selected as coordinating institute of multi-country IDRC funded project. March 1, 2005
- VU puts is lectures on YouTube November, 2005
- Launch of MCS, MIT and MBA programs. March 6, 2006
- Launch of two new TV channels VTV3, & VTV4. September 26, 2006
- VU becomes an Asia Pacific Broadcasting Union (ABU) member. November 7, 2006
- VU agreement with Ujala TV Dubai to telecast VU programs. November 30, 2006.
- VU agreement with University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences to offer joint BS Bio-informatics program. May 25, 2007
- Launch of MS program in Computer Science. Fall 2007
- Launch of B.A., B.Com., B.Sc. (2-year programs). Fall 2009"
- VU launch its in-house developed LMS (Learning Management System)and other MIS(s) by IT Department. Spring 2009
- Virtual University of Pakistan held its first Convocation on Tuesday 18 May 2010 simultaneously at Peshawar, Rawalpindi, Lahore, Jamshoro, Karachi and Quetta.
- Virtual University of Pakistan holds Highest Category 'W' By HEC.
- HEC on May 28, 2013 has clarified the ambiguity created by some newspapers amongst VU students and general public. HEC has, therefore, reconfirmed the status of the University as on-line & distance education institution of the country.
- VU. "Address and map location of Virtual University.". Google Inc. Google Inc. Lahore. Retrieved 16 December 2013.
- VU. "Address and map location of Virtual University.". Google Inc. Karachi. Retrieved 16 December 2013.
- VU. "About VU". VU Press release. Retrieved 16 December 2013.
- "Distant Learning". Virtual University. Retrieved 6 June 2011.
- UNESCAP. (2007, December). ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL COMMISSION FOR ASIA AND THE PACIFIC. United Nations Development Account Project on Knowledge Networks through ICT Access Points for Disadvantage Communities. Report of Consultative Meeting for the Establishment of Regional Knowledge Network of Telecentres in Asia-Pacific 27–28 September 2007.
- UN. (2000, November). Report on the United Nations / Malaysia Workshop on Bridging the Digital Divide: Space Technology Solutions.” Conference 20–24 November 2000. PLANWEL citation retrieved 2000. Page 09 item 41