- Allows host terminals on a multi-user network to interact with other hosts regardless of terminal type and characteristics,
- Allows remote log-on by local area network managers for the purpose of management,
- Allows users to access information from another host processor for transaction processing,
- Serves as a backup facility.
PuTTY is an example of a virtual terminal.
Virtual Terminals for payment card processing 
This term is also used to refer to web interfaces for processing card not present transactions. Such terminals allow call centre agents to enter a customer's credit card details to take a payment.
IP-VPOS is an example of a virtual terminal for payment card processing.
- This article incorporates public domain material from the General Services Administration document "Federal Standard 1037C".