|Key people||Gilles Langourieux, CEO
Pan Feng, Managing Director
Damien de Froberville, Managing Director
Andrey Supryaga, Art Director
Christophe Gandon, GM Europe
Virtuos Ltd. is a provider of digital entertainment production services for the game and movie industries. It was founded in 2004. Virtuos has development centers in Shanghai, Chengdu, and Xi'an, China, and in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, and offices in Paris, Vancouver and Tokyo. On October 9, 2012, the company officially hired its 1000th employee.
The company's services include 3D art, concept art and animation, full game co-development and adaptations, software engineering, sound design and QA testing. As a video game developer, Virtuos creates both parts of games as well as full game “co-development,” which includes porting and adaptations. Virtuos is a licensed developer on PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, NDS and PSP. Its clients include Activision, Electronic Arts, LucasArts, Microsoft, Sony, Square Enix, Ubisoft and Zynga. The company does not create or own its own IP, focusing solely on a service model for its clients.
In September 2011, Virtuos acquired Sparx* 3D Animation and added a Saigon development center dedicated to 3D animation, digital production for film and TV and game cinematics.
Games developed by Virtuos
|Might & Magic Heroes VI||PC||Ubisoft|
|The Enchanted Library||GSN|
|The Game of Life||PC, Mac||EA Popcap|
|NBA 2K13||Wii, PSP, Android||2K Sports|
|Civilization Revolution||WP7||2K Games|
|The Price is Right Decades||Xbox 360||Ubisoft|
|Who Wants to be a Millionaire||Xbox 360||Ubisoft|
|Family Feud Decades||PSN||Ubisoft|
|DreamWorks Super Star Kartz||Nintendo DS||Activision|
|Hasbro Family Game Night Value Pack||Nintendo Wii||Electronic Arts|
|Monopoly Collection||Wii||Electronic Arts|
|Generator Rex: Agent of Providence||PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, 3DS, NDS||Activision|
|Hole in the Wall||Xbox 360 Kinect||Microsoft|
|MLB 2K12||PSP, PS2, NDS, Wii||2K Sports|
|NBA 2K12||PS2||2K Sports|
|MLB 2K11||PSP, PS2, NDS||2K Sports|
|Monster Jam: Path of Destruction||PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, Nintendo DS, PSP||Activision|
|Sid Meier's Pirates!||Wii||2K Games|
|Ghost Recon Predator||PSP||Ubisoft|
|Dora the Explorer||Explorer||Leapfrog|
|Ben 10 Ultimate Alien||Explorer||Leapfrog|
|Press Your Luck||PS3, iPad||Ubisoft|
|Family Feud||PS3, iPad||Ubisoft|
|The Price is Right||PS3, iPad||Ubisoft|
|MotorStorm: Arctic Edge||PS2||Sony Computer Entertainment Europe|
|Pimp My Ride Street Racing||PS2, Nintendo DS||Activision|
|Madagascar Kartz||Nintendo DS||Activision|
|Hot Wheels Battle Force 5||Nintendo DS||Activision|
|Crash: Mind over Mutant||PSP||Activision|
|Speed Racer||Nintendo DS||Warner Bros. Interactive|
|Asphalt: Urban GT 2||PSP, Nintendo DS||Gameloft|
|Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster||PS3, PS Vita||Square Enix|
History of Virtuos
||This article is in a list format that may be better presented using prose. (October 2013)|
- December 2004: Virtuos is established
- July 2005: Virtuos opens its European office in Paris: Gamesource
- June 2006: Virtuos receives investment from Legend Capital
- November 2006: Virtuos opens its North-American office in Los Angeles
- January 2008: Virtuos opens in Chengdu
- March 2009: Virtuos acquires BSP Audio Production Studios
- May 2009: Terminator Salvation is released in theaters, featuring 3D art made by Virtuos
- December 2009: Virtuos enters Japan, signing partnership with Kyos
- January 2010: Virtuos acquires Russian concept art studio
- March 2010: Virtuos reaches 500 employees
- March 2010: Virtuos announces new-gen work-for-hire game development
- May 2010: Virtuos releases The Price is Right on PSN
- November 2010: Virtuos ships Monster Jam: Path of Destruction for PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, NDS and PSP
- January 2011: Virtuos receives China SME Entrepreneur Award 2010
- March 2011: Rango reaches the top box office spot, including 3D models from Virtuos
- August 2011: Virtuos reaches 800 Staff, and signs work-for-hire online game development agreement with Tencent
- September 2011: Virtuos acquires Sparx* 3D animation studio
- March 2012: Virtuos 900th employee is hired in Saigon for Sparx subsidiary.
- July 2012: Virtuos releases first fully developed Facebook game The Enchanted Library for GSN
- October 2012: Virtuos 1000th employee is hired.
- November 2012: Virtuos first Android game NBA 2013 released for client 2K Sports
As a prominent game outsourcing company, Virtuos has occasionally found itself at the center of the debate about outsourcing’s impact on game-industry jobs in the west. When asked about the issue by gaming industry website Gamasutra in 2006, Gilles Langourieux, the CEO of Virtuos pointed to the extra number of man-months required to produce titles on new-gen platforms and the larger number of platforms to cover as the main reasons for the rise of outsourced production, stating that he "doesn't think it's a disservice to the industry in the West."
- "Virtuos Reaches 1,000 Virtuosi Worldwide". Gamasutra.
- "Virtuos: Game Developers Increasingly Open To Code Outsourcing". Gamasutra.
- "Legend Capital invests in leading video games outsourcing provider Virtuos". Legend Capital.
- "Virtuos Opens New China Studio". GamesIndustry.biz.
- "Outsourcing firm Virtuos acquires BSP audio studio". Develop-Online.
- "Virtuos Acquires Russian Concept Art Studio Grafit". Gamasutra.
- "Virtuos workforce hits new milestone". Develop-Online.
- "China's Virtuos Gets Into Full-Scale Retail Game Development With 'Major Publisher'". Gamasutra.
- "Virtuos Kickstarts Full Cross-Platform Development Project". GamesIndustry.biz.
- "Special: Inside China's Game Outsourcing Biz". Gamasutra.