Visa policy of Japan
Visitors to Japan must obtain a visa from one of the Japanese diplomatic missions unless they come from one of the visa-exempt countries. The Government of Japan currently allows citizens of 66 countries/territories to travel to Japan for tourism or business without having to obtain a visa.
Visa policy map
Visa exempt countries
The following 66 countries and regions are visa exempt for visits up to 901 days (unless otherwise noted):
1 - Citizens of Austria, Germany, Ireland, Liechtenstein, Mexico, Switzerland and the United Kingdom may apply for an extension of stay with the Ministry of Justice for up to 6 months.
2 - With biometric passports only.
3 - For holders of Taiwan passports which includes a personal identification number.
During his visit in Jakarta on August 12th 2014, Japan Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida formally announced visa waiver for Indonesian passport holders, date of implementation starting December 1st 2014.  Requirements for single-entry tourism visas for the nationals of the Philippines and Vietnam, will be relaxed to a quasi-exemption-equivalent level when applied via select travel agencies.
Special visa policy for some countries
Japan has a special visa policy for nationals of Russia, other CIS countries, and Georgia.  Nationals of these countries can not provide their financial guarantees and get a visa on their own - they must apply through touristic companies or residents of Japan. These additional requirements are due to the South Kuril islands dispute - all these countries were members of the USSR. (Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania are members of the Schengen Area and are covered under the European Union.)
- Visa requirements for Japanese citizens
- List of Countries and Regions That Have Visa Exemption Arrangements with Japan (66 countries and regions as of July 2013)
- Exemption of Visa (Short-Term Stay)
- http://www.uk.emb-japan.go.jp/en/visa/pdf/Exemptions.pdf retrieved on 2012-04-23
- "Visa Information - Japan". Timatic. IATA. Retrieved 17 December 2013.
- Relaxation of Visa Requirements for Nationals of Indonesia, the Philippines, Vietnam and India