Visa policy of Libya
Libya currently does not issue tourist visas. There are plans to reintroduce tourist visas in 2014. Libyan borders with Chad, Niger, Sudan and Algeria are closed. In reality these borders are not controlled by the Government but by Tuareg people and Toubou people.
As of 2013, governments of the United States, New Zealand, Australia, Canada, Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom, Spain, France, Hungary, Latvia, Germany, Austria, Bulgaria, Norway, Croatia, Romania, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Russia, Denmark, Slovakia, Estonia, Italy, Poland advise their citizens against all (or in some cases all but essential) travel to Libya.
Citizens of the following countries can visit Libya without a visa:
- Egypt - for residents of Matrouh Governorate on Wednesdays and Thursdays.
- Jordan - for visits up to 1 month; only if holding a 5 year passport, which must be valid for at least one year on arrival.
- Turkey - for visits up to 3 months.
- United States - if holding a letter from an established company in Libya sponsoring their visit.
Compulsory Currency Exchange
Visitors travelling to Libya for touristic purposes are required to convert US$ 1,000, or equivalent, in freely convertible cash or debit the amount from a valid credit card upon arrival. Failure to do so, will result in the traveler being refused entry. Exempt are those visiting a resident, provided holding proof of sponsorship covering entire stay and those traveling as part of a paid tourist package if holding a valid visa.
- Libya to start issuing tourist visas
- Libya seals its southern border
- Southern borders wide open
- Travel Warning U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE Bureau of Consular Affairs - Libya
- NZ government travel advisory - Libya
- Libya | Travel advice | Smartraveller: The Australian Government's travel advisory and consular assistance service
- Travel Advice and Advisories for Libya
- Libya - Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
- Libya travel advice - GOV.UK
- Recomendaciones de viaje - Libia
- Utazásra nem javasolt térségek
- Libyen: Reisewarnung
- Libyen (de)
- СТЕПЕНИ НА СИГУРНОСТ ПРЕПОРЪКИ И ПРЕДУПРЕЖДЕНИЯ ЗА ПЪТУВАНЕ
- Offisielt reiseråd for Libya
- Ministerul Afacerilor Externe Alerte de călătorie Libia
- МИД рекомендовал россиянам отказаться от путешествия в Ливию
- Rejsevejledning - Libyen
- Odporúčania pre slovenských občanov cestujúcich do Líbye
- Liibüa reisiinfo
- Viaggiare Sicuri - Libia
- Libia – ostrzeżenie dla podróżujących
- "Visa Information". Timatic. IATA. Retrieved 17 December 2013.
- Libya and Egypt agree border residents can cross frontier without visas
- "Visa Information for Libyan Arab Jamahiriya: Holders of Normal Passports from Jordan". Timatic. International Air Transport Association (IATA).
- "Visa Information for Libyan Arab Jamahiriya: Holders of Normal Passports from Tunisia". Timatic. International Air Transport Association (IATA).
- "Visa Information for Libyan Arab Jamahiriya: Holders of Normal Passports from Turkey". Timatic. International Air Transport Association (IATA).
- "Visa Information for Libyan Arab Jamahiriya: Holders of Normal Passports from United States". Timatic. International Air Transport Association (IATA).
- "Visa And Health". Timatic, IATA. http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/.