Shiancoe warms up in 2009.
No. -- Free agent
|Date of birth:June 18, 1980|
|Place of birth: Birmingham, England|
|College: Morgan State|
|NFL Draft: 2003 / Round: 3 / Pick: 91|
|Debuted in 2003 for the New York Giants|
|Roster status: Active|
Career NFL statistics as of Week 14, 2013
Visanthe Shiancoe (/ /; born June 18, 1980) is an American football tight end who is currently a free agent. After playing college football for Morgan State, he was drafted by the New York Giants in the third round of the 2003 NFL Draft. He played for the Giants for four seasons from 2003 to 2006 and the Minnesota Vikings for five seasons from 2007 to 2011. He played for the New England Patriots in 2012 and the Tennessee Titans in 2013.
Shiancoe played high school football for Montgomery Blair High School in Silver Spring. He gained all-county honors competing at three positions: wide receiver, quarterback and tight end. He attended Morgan State University in Baltimore, Maryland where he transformed himself from a 190-pound freshman to a 250-pound senior tight end.
2003 NFL Combine
|Ht||Wt||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 5 in||251 lb||4.65 s||1.62 s||2.71 s||4.31 s||7.09 s||39.5 in||10 ft 0 in||28 reps|
|All values from NFL Combine|
New York Giants (2003-2006)
Minnesota Vikings (2007-2011)
Shiancoe signed a five-year, $18.2 million contract with the Minnesota Vikings as a free agent in 2007. He compiled 208 receptions for 2,424 yards and 24 touchdowns in his five seasons as a Viking, in regular season games. He played in 80 games, of which he started in 66. He led the NFC tight ends with seven touchdowns in 2008 and ranked third by a tight end in the NFL.
New England Patriots (2012)
Shiancoe agreed to a one-year deal with the New England Patriots on July 24, 2012, reportedly worth $1.2 million. He was activated on November 11, 2012 after an injury of Aaron Hernandez and a suspension of Brandon Bolden. On December 11, 2012, he was released.
Baltimore Ravens (2013)
On July 28, 2013, Shiancoe signed a one-year deal to play for the Baltimore Ravens. The contract is considered a "qualifying contract" under which Shiancoe will stand to make the veteran minimum for a player with 10 or more years of service ($940,000) while counting only $555,000 against the Raven's salary cap. The signing was prompted by a season-ending hip injury suffered during training camp by Dennis Pitta. Less than a month on the team, Shiancoe was released after the third week of preseason on August 25, 2013.
Shiancoe was a contestant on NBC's Minute to Win It on September 8, 2010, playing to win money for the National Kidney Foundation. When he could not perform the card trick, where he had to blow off a deck of 53 playing cards with one joker at the bottom remaining on the bottle in a minute, he successfully performed the same trick on NFL Network again in less than 30 seconds, only to realize that the final Joker card was glued on.
Fox aired a post game segment following a victory over the Detroit Lions in 2008. Vikings owner Zygi Wilf was presenting the game ball to coach Brad Childress' son, Andrew, who had enlisted in the United States Marine Corps the day before. In the background, Shiancoe was shown unclothed for a moment before covering himself with a towel. According to the NFL and Fox Sports, the image lasted a fifth of a second. Fox Sports apologized for airing the image. Through his agent, Shiancoe said he was embarrassed by the unintentional incident.
Shiancoe currently resides in Prince George's County, Maryland. Although his first name has been commonly mispronounced as vi-SAWN-tee (//) or vi-SAWN-tae (//) he has clarified that the correct pronunciation is vi-SAWNTH (//).
- Janis, Robert. "Visanthe Shiancoe". www.visantheshiancoe.com. Retrieved 2013-07-29.
- "Biography". www.visantheshiancoe.com. Retrieved 2013-07-29.
- Lewis, Albert (February 2, 2005). "Former Bear Gives Back In Giant Way". Morgan State University Athletic Department. Archived from the original on August 6, 2013. Retrieved August 6, 2013.
- "2003 NFL Draftn Tracker". NFL.com. Archived from the original on August 6, 2013. Retrieved August 6, 2013.
- Vacchiano, Ralph (November 23, 2007). "Catching up with former Giant tight end Visanthe Shiancoe, now with Vikings". Daily News (New York). Archived from the original on August 6, 2013. Retrieved August 6, 2013.
- "Patriots place WR Donte' Stallworth on IR; Release TE Visanthe Shiancoe". patriots.com. Retrieved December 11, 2012.
- Wilson, Aaron (August 6, 2013). "Ravens need Visanthe Shiancoe right away with Ed Dickson's hamstring injury". The Baltimore Sun. Archived from the original on August 6, 2013. Retrieved August 6, 2013.
- "Ravens sign Visanthe Shiancoe". ESPN. July 29, 2013. Archived from the original on August 6, 2013. Retrieved August 6, 2013.
- Mink, Ryan (August 25, 2013). "Ravens Release 12 Players". BaltimoreRavens.com. Retrieved August 31, 2013.
- Twitter / TennesseeTitans: The #Titans have agreed to terms with fullback Quinn Johnson & tight end Visanthe Shiancoe.
- Twitter / TennesseeTitans: The #Titans have re-signed offensive lineman Kevin Matthews and released tight end Visanthe Shiancoe.
- Pucin, Diane (December 8, 2008). "Not the kind of exposure Visanthe Shiancoe wanted". Los Angeles Times.
- Zulgad, Judd (December 7, 2008). "Fox apologizes for showing unclothed Viking". Star Tribune.
- "Naked truth on Vikes TE". Associated Press (Chicago Sun-Times). December 9, 2008.[dead link]
- Zrebiec, Jeff. "With Dennis Pitta out for the year, Ravens add Visanthe Shiancoe to roster". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 2013-07-29.
- Davis, Nate (February 17, 2011). "Vikings' Shiancoe clarifies pronunciation of his name ... sort of". USA Today. Archived from the original on August 6, 2013. Retrieved August 6, 2013.
- Carlyle, Erin (September 8, 2010). "VHow do you pronounce 'Visanthe Shiancoe'?". City Pages. Archived from the original on August 6, 2013. Retrieved August 6, 2013.
- "Visanthe Shiancoe 'In the Game'".