Viscount Combermere, of Bhurtpore in the East Indies and of Combermere in the County Palatine of Chester, is a title in the Peerage of the United Kingdom. It was created in 1827 for the prominent military commander Stapleton Stapleton-Cotton, 1st Baron Combermere. He had already been created Baron Combermere, of Combermere in the County Palatine of Chester, in 1814, also in the Peerage of the United Kingdom. He had previously inherited the baronetcy, of Combermere in the County Palatine of Chester, that was created in the Baronetage of England on 29 March 1677 for his great-great-grandfather Robert Cotton.
The title of the baronetcy, barony and viscountcy, Combermere, is pronounced "Cumbermeer".
The first baronet represented Cheshire in the House of Commons. His grandson, the third Baronet, sat as a Member of Parliament for Cheshire as well as for Lostwithiel. He was succeeded by his younger brother, the fourth Baronet. He represented Denbighshire in the House of Commons. His son, the fifth Baronet, also represented Cheshire in Parliament. The latter was succeeded by his son, the sixth Baronet, who was later elevated to the peerage as Viscount Combermere. His son, the second Viscount, sat as a Conservative Member of Parliament for Carrickfergus. As of 2010[update] the titles are held by the latter's great-great-grandson, the sixth Viscount, who succeeded his father in 2000.
Cotton and Stapleton-Cotton baronets, of Combermere (1677)
- Sir Robert Cotton, 1st Baronet (c. 1635–1712)
- Sir Thomas Cotton, 2nd Baronet (c. 1672–1715)
- Sir Robert Salusbury Cotton, 3rd Baronet (1695–1748)
- Sir Lynch Salusbury Cotton, 4th Baronet (c. 1705–1775)
- Sir Robert Salusbury Cotton, 5th Baronet (c. 1739–1809)
- Sir Stapleton Cotton, 6th Baronet (1773–1865) (created Baron Combermere in 1814 and Viscount Combermere in 1827)
Viscounts Combermere (1827)
- Stapleton Cotton, 1st Viscount Combermere (1773–1865)
- Robert Henry Stapleton Cotton (1802–1821)
- Wellington Henry Stapleton-Cotton, 2nd Viscount Combermere (1818–1891)
- Robert Wellington Stapleton-Cotton, 3rd Viscount Combermere (1845–1898)
- Francis Lynch Wellington Stapleton-Cotton, 4th Viscount Combermere (1887–1969)
- Michael Wellington Stapleton-Cotton, 5th Viscount Combermere (1929–2000)
- Thomas Robert Wellington Stapleton-Cotton, 6th Viscount Combermere (b. 1969)
The heir apparent is the present holder's son, Hon. Laszlo Michael Wellington Stapleton-Cotton (b. 2010).
- Kidd, Charles, Williamson, David (editors). Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage (1990 edition). New York: St Martin's Press, 1990.
- Leigh Rayment's Peerage Pages [self-published source][better source needed]
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Robert Wellington Stapleton-Cotton, 3rd Viscount Combermere
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Francis Lynch Wellington Stapleton-Cotton, 4th Viscount Combermere