Viscount Torrington is a title in the Peerage of Great Britain. It was created in 1721 for the statesman Sir George Byng, 1st Baronet, along with the subsidiary title Baron Byng, of Southill in the County of Bedford, also in the Peerage of Great Britain. He had already been created a baronet, of Wrotham in the County of Kent, in the Baronetage of Great Britain in 1715. His eldest son, the second Viscount, represented Plymouth and Bedfordshire in the House of Commons and later served as Captain of the Yeomen of the Guard from 1746 to 1747. His younger brother, the third Viscount, was a Major-General in the Army. His grandson, the sixth Viscount, was a Vice-Admiral in the Royal Navy. His son, the seventh Viscount, served as Governor of Ceylon between 1847 and 1850.
On his death the titles passed to his nephew, the eighth Viscount, the son of Honourable Robert Barlow Palmer Byng, third son of the sixth Viscount. He was succeeded by his son, the ninth Viscount. However, this line of the family failed on his death in 1944 and the titles passed to the late Viscount's first cousin, the tenth Viscount. As of 2013 the titles are held by the latter's grandson, the eleventh Viscount, who succeeded on his grandfather's death in 1961.
Several other members of the Byng family have also gained distinction. The Hon. Robert Byng, third son of the first Viscount, was Member of Parliament for Plymouth. He was the father of George Byng, radical Member of Parliament for Middlesex. He was the father of George Byng, Father of the House of Commons, and John Byng, 1st Earl of Strafford. The soldier Julian Hedworth George Byng, 1st Viscount Byng of Vimy, was the youngest son of the second Earl of Strafford. Admiral the Hon. John Byng, who was controversially court-martialled and shot in 1757, was the fourth son of the first Viscount Torrington.
Viscounts Torrington (1721)
- George Byng, 1st Viscount Torrington (1663–1733)
- Pattee Byng, 2nd Viscount Torrington (1699–1747)
- George Byng, 3rd Viscount Torrington (1701–1750)
- George Byng, 4th Viscount Torrington (1740–1812)
- John Byng, 5th Viscount Torrington (1743–1813)
- George Byng, 6th Viscount Torrington (1768–1831)
- George Byng, 7th Viscount Torrington (1812–1884)
- George Stanley Byng, 8th Viscount Torrington (1841–1889)
- George Master Byng, 9th Viscount Torrington (1886–1944)
- Arthur Stanley Byng, 10th Viscount Torrington (1876–1961)
- Timothy Howard St George Byng, 11th Viscount Torrington (born 1943)
- Kidd, Charles, Williamson, David (editors). Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage (1990 edition). New York: St Martin's Press, 1990.
- Leigh Rayment's Peerage Pages [self-published source][better source needed]
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Timothy Howard St George Byng, 11th Viscount Torrington