Viscount of Arbuthnott
|Viscountcy of Arbuthnott|
|Creation date||16 November 1641|
|Created by||King Charles I|
|Peerage||Peerage of Scotland|
|First holder||Robert Arbuthnott|
|Present holder||Keith Arbuthnott, 17th Viscount of Arbuthnott|
|Heir apparent||Christopher K. Arbuthnott, Master of Arbuthnott|
|Remainder to||the 1st Viscount's heirs male of the body lawfully begotten.|
|Subsidiary titles||Lord Inverbervie
Chief of the Name and Arms of Arbuthnott
Viscount of Arbuthnott is a title in the Peerage of Scotland. It was created in 1641, along with the subsidiary title Lord Inverbervie, for Sir Robert Arbuthnot.
All Scottish viscounts have 'of' in their titles, contrary to English viscounts who are styled simply 'Viscount X'. However, most Scottish viscounts have now adopted the English practice; only the Viscount of Arbuthnott and, to a lesser extent, the Viscount of Oxfuird, continue to use 'of'.
Coat of arms
The heraldic blazon for the Viscount's arms is Azure a crescent between three mullets argent. This can be translated as a blue shield containing a silver crescent with three silver stars around it. The supporters are two green wyverns, and the crest is a peacock's head. The motto is Laus Deo meaning 'Praise God'.
Viscounts of Arbuthnott (1641)
- Robert Arbuthnot, 1st Viscount of Arbuthnott (d. 1655)
- Robert Arbuthnot, 2nd Viscount of Arbuthnott (d. 1682)
- Robert Arbuthnot, 3rd Viscount of Arbuthnott (1663–1694)
- Robert Arbuthnot, 4th Viscount of Arbuthnott (1686–1710)
- John Arbuthnot, 5th Viscount of Arbuthnott (1692–1756)
- John Arbuthnot, 6th Viscount of Arbuthnott (aka the Rich Lord). (1703–1791) Son of John Arbuthnot of Fordoun, brother of the 2nd Viscount. Father of 7th Viscount.
- John Arbuthnot, 7th Viscount of Arbuthnott (1754–1800) Challenged the legality of his late father's actions, which had included the granting of leases for long periods at low rents."
- John Arbuthnott, 8th Viscount of Arbuthnott (1778–1860)
- John Arbuthnott, 9th Viscount of Arbuthnott (1806–1891)
- John Arbuthnott, 10th Viscount of Arbuthnott (1843–1895)
- David Arbuthnott, 11th Viscount of Arbuthnott (1845–1914)
- William Arbuthnott, 12th Viscount of Arbuthnott (1849–1917)
- Walter Charles Warner Arbuthnott, 13th Viscount of Arbuthnott (1847–1920)
- John Ogilvy Arbuthnott, 14th Viscount of Arbuthnott (1882–1960)
- (Robert) Keith Arbuthnott, 15th Viscount of Arbuthnott (1897–1966)
- John Campbell Arbuthnott, KT, CBE, DSC, 16th Viscount of Arbuthnott (1924-2012)
- (John) Keith Oxley Arbuthnott, 17th Viscount of Arbuthnott (b. 1950)
His heir apparent is his son Christopher K Arbuthnott, Master of Arbuthnott