18 November 1985 |
palampur, Himachal Pradesh, India
Vishal Karwal (born 18 November 1985) is an Indian actor from Himachal Pradesh.
Karwal was born on 18 November, 1984 in Bhawarna, Kangra district, Himachal Pradesh, India in a Punjabi family. His father owns a store that deals with jewelry and precious stones, and earlier used to be a chairman of a school. His mother initially worked as a school teacher. He was raised in a joint family in Bhawarna, and also in Jalandhar, Punjab. When he was 10 years old, he was admitted to a boarding school, Dalhousie Public School, in Dalhousie, Himachal Pradesh. Later, he moved to Chandigarh to pursue higher studies. He studied the Bachelor in Engineering degree course to become a computer science engineer. He is also a trained commercial pilot, having completed a pilot training course from Texas, USA in October 2008.
Karwal came into limelight after he participated in a youth entertainment adventure reality TV show, MTV Roadies Season 4, aired on MTV India in 2006. He was voted out of the show in the episode 4. In 2008, he appeared on the same TV channel for another youth reality TV show MTV Splitsvilla Season 1, where he emerged as the winner. Continuing his spree with MTV India, he hosted a show called Couplesutra. Various offers poured to him from the Indian TV industry.
He, then, became associated with the TV channel Colors and did two TV series in a row. He first worked for the TV show Bhagyavidhata that hit the small screens in May 2009. However, he quit as the show took a 15-year leap and wanted to portray him much older than his actual age. Colors next signed him up for the TV program, Rishton Se Badi...Pratha. The show went on air in November 2010. The TV series attempted to highlight social events inspired by real life incidents.
Karwal was next seen on Imagine TV's TV program, Dwarkadheesh – Bhagwaan Shree Krishn, based on the famous Indian history Mahabharata, where he played the lead role of the Hindu Lord, Krishna. The series was telecasted July 2011 ownwards. Vishal revealed, "This show really got me into acting. I loved doing the show and started enjoying acting."
In November 2012, he participated in celebrity reality TV show, Bigg Boss Season 6 on Colors, as a wild card contestant. Before entering the Bigg Boss show, he said in an interview, “Being a part of Bigg Boss is a big thing. This reality show is really unique and interesting than other reality shows." He was voted out of the show in December 2012 after spending about 40 days in the Bigg Boss house, and he said in an interview with PTI, "I was not expecting to be evicted. I wanted to stay on the show longer." Though during the show, he was shown as not actively participating in the game-related politics, fights, or tasks, rather he reserved himself to lying on the sun bed a lot of the time. Nonetheless, his interest in a co-contestant, Sana Khan, gained some curiosity from the viewers.
Karwal has emphasized that he likes to do different roles on TV, where he can do something new with each role. He said, "The element of freshness in doing different things interests me. Also, I like to experiment with what I do because otherwise doing only one serial gets monotonous." He is currently working in Rangrasiya,A Colors TV channel show doing a negative role
Karwal made his debut in the film industry with the Punjabi film, Aappan Pher Milange, which was released in May 2012 and starred alongside Gracy Singh in this movie. At a promotional event of the film, he said, "After doing television, I wanted to stretch my horizon. Punjabi films is an excellent medium of doing so. The way its reach is growing, it should be giving competition to Bollywood very soon,” The film, however, failed to do any good business at the box office.
About his future plans, he told Deccan Chronicle in November 2012, "I have a couple of Punjabi films lined up and a few serial projects as well." Apart from working in the entertainment industry, Vishal is now focusing on setting up a boarding school in his home district of Kangra, Himachal Pardesh. He said in an interview, "Things are at its nascent stage as I have just bought a land for the project (in Palampur) and the architectural work is currently in progress." Calling this venture as his dream project, he acknowledged, "I cannot depend on acting forever, there has to be something else to bank upon."
In an interview with The Times of India, he said, "If not an actor, I would have been a pilot. I still miss flying," and further added, "Hopefully, I will get to convert my American flying license to the Indian license soon so that I will fly once again." Vishal is also a fitness freak. At the TV show Bigg Boss, he said, "I'm interested in fitness very much. I work out and run 3 miles everyday." About his relationships with girls, he elaborated, "I am very flirtatious like other boys and I like to go out on dates." Vishal maintains that stardom is very temporary and that he leads a simple life. He acknowledged, "Till you are young and are bagging good roles, everyone wants to be associated with you. Once you are out of work, nobody really cares." He has a brother named Aditya Karwal and an older sister.
|2012||Aappan Pher Milange||Raj||Punjabi Film|
|1920 London||Hindi Film/Shooting|
|2010–2011||Rishton Se Badi Pratha||Abhay Markantay Suryavansh||Colors|
|2011-2012||Dwarkadheesh - Bhagwaan Shree Krishn||Lord Krishna||Imagine TV|
|2007||MTV Roadies 4||10th Place||MTV India|
|2008||MTV Splitsvilla 1||Winner
|2012||Bigg Boss 6||10th Place Evicted Day 76||Colors|
|2013||Nautanki - The Comedy Theatre||Guest appearance||Colors|
- Awaasthi, Kavita (November 10, 2012). "Vishal Karwal to enter Bigg Boss as wildcard entry". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 11 November 2012.
- "'I wish to meet all my ex-girlfriends on my birthday every year!'". TellyChakkar. 18 Nov 2010. Retrieved 11 November 2012.
- "Bigg Boss > Contestants > Vishal Karwal". In.com. Retrieved 11 November 2012.
- "Himachali's making waves on Television and Bollywood". Dev Bhoomi Himachal. Retrieved 11 November 2012.
- "Vishal Karwal back in action with Pratha". Indya.com. Retrieved 11 November 2012.
- Mondal, Sukarna (November 11, 2012). "The newest member in Bigg Boss". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 11 November 2012.
- Agrawal, Stuti (Nov 10, 2012). "Bigg Boss 6: I will win the show, says Vishal Karwal". The Times of India. TNN. Retrieved 23 November 2012.
- "Bigg Boss Live 24X7 : Web Exclusive". Viacom 18 Media Pvt. Ltd.
- "Vishal Karwal". Yatedo Inc. Retrieved 23 November 2012.
- Banerjee, Sudeshna (August 18, 2008). "Last man standing". The Telegraph. Retrieved 11 November 2012.
- PAITANDY, PRIYADARSHINI (Sep 16, 2008). "The right choice". The Hindu. Retrieved 11 November 2012.
- "Vishal Karwal doesn’t want to play oldie on screen". News One/IANS. 3 July 2011. Retrieved 11 November 2012.
- Patel, Ano (Feb 6, 2013). "Everyone loves watching catfights on reality shows: Vishal". The Times of India. TNN. Retrieved 8 February 2013.
- "TV star Vishal Karwal evicted from Bigg Boss". Business Standard. Press Trust of India. December 22, 2012. Retrieved 22 December 2012.
- "Day 75 in 'Bigg Boss 6': Vishal Karwal gets evicted". Mid Day. Mid Day (The Hitlist Team). December 22, 2012. Retrieved 22 December 2012.
- Tiwari, Vijaya (Dec 21, 2012). "Vishal Karwal gets eliminated from Bigg Boss - 6". The Times of India. TNN. Retrieved 22 December 2012.
- "Nautanki - The Comedy Theatre". In.com India - A web18 Venture. Retrieved 8 February 2013.
- "Tushar Kapoor Will Judge The Show ‘Nautanki The Comedy Theatre’". India Scanner. January 11, 2013. Retrieved 8 February 2013.
- "Aappan Pher Milange". Cinema Punjabi. Retrieved 11 November 2012.
- Singh, Jasmine (May 19, 2012). "Big screen calling". The Tribune, Chandigarh. Retrieved 11 November 2012.
- "Vishal Karwal all set to open a boarding school". TellychakkarTeam/TELLYCHAKKAR.COM. Retrieved 23 November 2012.
- Dhawan, Shivangani Sandeep (May 23, 2013). "TV helped me prepare for Bollywood: Vishal Karwal". The Times of India. TNN. Retrieved 11 July 2013.
- Naithani, Priyanka (Feb 2, 2013). "TV actors should always have a back up plan: Vishal". The Times of India. TNN. Retrieved 8 February 2013.