Visvesvaraya Technological University
|Visvesvaraya (old name Visveswaraiah) Technological University|
|Motto||Modalu mānavanāgu (Kannada)|
|Motto in English||Above all, be human|
|Established||April 1, 1998 |
|Chancellor||H.R. Bhardwaj, Hon'ble Governor of Karnataka |
|Provost||S. A. Kori, Registrar |
|Rector||Ramachandra Swamy, Finance Officer |
|Doctoral students||1800 |
|Location||Belgaum, Karnataka, India
|Campus||Urban, 115 acres (0.5 km2) |
|Accreditation||AICTE, CoA |
|Colours||Orange, White and Green|
|Athletics||Cycling, Gymnastics, Power Lifting, Swimming and Weight Lifting |
|Sports||Archery, Chess, Cricket, Basketball, Fencing, Football , Judo, Kabaddi, Netball, Softball, Tennis, Throwball, Volleyball, Wrestling and Yoga |
|Affiliations||ACU, AIU, UGC, CoA |
Visvesvaraya Technological University (VTU) is a collegiate public state university in Karnataka State, India. It was established on 1 April 1998 by the Government of Karnataka as per VTU Act 1994, to improve the quality of technical education in the state. Apart from a few notable exceptions, VTU has complete authority in the state of Karnataka. It is a statutory requirement for colleges offering any program in engineering or technology in the state to be affiliated with the university.
The university is named after Sir Visvesvaraya from Karnataka, the only engineer to be awarded a Bharat Ratna award, the highest civilian award in India. Jnana Sangama, Belgaum is the headquarters of VTU. Additionally, the university has three regional centers located in Bangalore, Gulbarga and Mysore.
VTU is one of the largest universities in India with 208 colleges affiliated to it with an intake capacity of over 67100 undergraduate students and 12666 postgraduate students. The university encompasses various technical & management fields which offers a total of 30 undergraduate  and 71 postgraduate courses. The university has around 1800 PhD candidates.
Presently, VTU has 13 QIP centers and 17 extension centers  in its various affiliated colleges offering post graduate courses. It has around 2305 departments recognized as research centers which are spread across its various affiliated institutions in different cities of Karnataka. It is one of the few universities of India to have 16 of its affiliated colleges recognised by the World Bank for getting assistance in setting up state of art laboratories, campus facilities and research centers under the TEQIP (Technical Education Quality Improvement Programme, A Government of India initiative) program.
The university is administered by its Executive Council and Academic Senate whose members are selected from the academic community and government officials. The present Chancellor of the university is His Excellency, Sri Hans Raj Bhardwaj, Governor of Karnataka state and the Vice-Chancellor is Dr. H. Maheshappa.
The University has signed MoUs with various Multinational corporation like IBM, Intel Asia Electronics Inc., Ingersoll-Rand (India) Ltd., Bangalore, Nokia, Bosch Rexroth and Microsoft to improve the industry interactions for both students and the teachers.
- 1 History
- 2 Academic Profile
- 3 Research and Development (R & D )
- 4 Centers of Excellence
- 5 Autonomy Cell
- 6 Student Activities
- 7 Visvesvaraya Institute of Advanced Technology
- 8 Affiliated Colleges
- 9 Rankings
- 10 List of Vice Chancellors
- 11 See also
- 12 References
- 13 External links
In India, the state governments are responsible for education in their states. So, development and monitoring of universities is in the mandate of a state government. In view of improving the quality of technical education in Karnataka, the Karnataka State government passed the VTU Act in 1994 which led to formation of VTU and its dedication to technical education. VTU’s mandate is defined as :
- Promote planned and sustainable development of technical education consistent with state and national policies
- Design need based programs that ensure adequate human resource of the right kind
- Establish objective evaluation and certification systems for students programs and institutions
- Collaborate with national and international institutions, R&D establishments, organizations like AICTE, MHRD, UGC, industry and user agencies
The VTU Act vested authority to VTU as the sole affiliating university for technical education in the state. All the existing colleges in the state that offered technical programs, mostly affiliated to regional state universities, were obligated to shift affiliation to VTU. Notable exceptions to the VTU Act include, but are not limited to University Visvesvaraya College of Engineering (Affiliated to Bangalore University), National Institute of Technology Surathkal, and Manipal Institute of Technology.
Boards and Courses
VTU offers an undergraduate engineering programs that awards a Bachelor of Engineering (BE) or Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) degree. The university also offers postgraduate programs that lead to Master of Technology (M.Tech), Master of Science (MSc) by research, Master of Business Administration (MBA), Master of Computer Applications (MCA) and doctorate (Ph.D). The MSc and PhD are research degrees while the rest are taught degrees.
The university, presently has 12 undergraduate boards which offer Bachelor of Engineering (B.E.) programs and 1 undergraduate board which offers Bachelor of Architecture (B.Arch) course. The programs are listed below :
|Board||Undergraduate courses in English Medium |
|Automobile Engineering||Automobile Engineering|
|Civil Engineering||Cement Technology, Ceramics & Civil Engineering, Construction Technology and Management, Environmental Engineering|
|Chemical / Polymer Engineering||Chemical Engineering and Polymer Science & Technology|
|CSE / ISE||Computer Science & Engineering and Information Science & Engineering|
|Electrical Engineering||Electrical & Electronics Engineering|
|Electronics & communication Engineering||Electronics & Communication Engineering, Telecommunication Engineering|
|IPE / IEM / MA||Industrial & Production Engineering, Industrial Engineering & Management, Manufacturing Science & Engineering|
|IT / BM / ML||Biomedical Engineering, Instrumentation Technology, Medical Electronics|
|Mechanical Engineering||Aeronautical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Mining Engineering, Precision Engineering, Printing Technology, Tool Engineering|
|Mechatronics Engineering||Mechatronics Engineering|
|Silk / Textile Engineering||Fashion Technology, Silk Technology, Textile Technology|
The university, presently has 11 postgraduate boards which offer Master of Technology (M.Tech) programs. The programs are listed below :
|Board||Postgraduate programs in English Medium |
|Civil Engineering||Computer Aided Design of Structure, Construction Technology, Environmental Engineering, Geo-Informatics, Highway Technology, Structural Engineering, Transportation Engineering And Management|
|Chemical Engineering||Chemical Engineering|
|Computer Science and Engineering||Computer Engineering, Computer Network Engineering, Computer Science And Engineering, Information Technology, Software Engineering|
|Electrical Engineering||Computer Applications In Industrial Drives(ECD), Energy Systems & Management (EEM), Microelectronics And Control Systems(EMS), Power Electronics (EPE), Power Systems, Engineering (EPS)|
|Electronics & Communication Engineering||Digital Communication Engineering, Digital Communication & Networking, Digital Electronics, Digital Electronics & Communication, Digital Electronics & Communication Systems, Electronics, Industrial Electronics, Information & Communication System, Network & Internet Engineering, VLSI Design & Embedded Systems, Signal Processing, Communication Systems|
|IP Engineering||Manufacturing Science & Engineering (MSE), Master Of Engineering Management (MEM), Product Design & Manufacturing (MPD), Production Engineering & System Technology (MPT), Production Engineering (MPE), Production Management (MPM), Production Technology (MPY)|
|IT Engineering||Biomedical Signal Processing & Instrumentation|
|MBA||Master Of Business Administration|
|MCA||Master of Computer Applications|
|Mechanical Engineering||Computational Analysis In Mechanical Sciences, M.Tech in Aeronautical Engineering (MAE), Industrial Automation And Robotics (MAR), Computer Integrated Manufacturing (MCM), Design Engineering (MDE), Engineering Analysis (MEA), Machine Design (MMD), Thermal Power (MTP), Tool Engineering (MTE)|
|Textile Technology||Textile Technology|
The university accomplished its primary task of setting a common syllabus across the state in 1998. The university revises the syllabus every four years keeping in view the technology upgrades around the world. The syllabus was revised in 2002, 2006 and 2010. In 2012, the University announced that it would launch a 'first-of-it's-kind' elective targeting railways and metro technology as part of the civil, electrical and mechanical engineering courses.
Research and Development (R & D )
Presently, VTU has over 2305 Research Centers in 75 affiliated colleges.
The university provides research scopes in the following fields :
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science & Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics & Communications Engineering
- General Science
- Master of Business Administration
- Mechanical Engineering
- Textile Engineering
Centers of Excellence
The university has signed MoUs with various International Organisations such as CANEUS International and multinational corporation like IBM, Intel Asia Electronics Inc., Ingersoll-Rand (India) Ltd., Bangalore, Nokia, Bosch Rexroth and Microsoft and has set up various Centers of Excellence. 
In 2007, the University granted academic and administrative autonomy to 14 colleges in the state. Autonomy implies that the college has the freedom to set its own syllabus, evaluation system and grading system, but the degree awarded at the end of the course will be by the university. This degree differs from the degree awarded by non-autonomous colleges, with the difference being that the college name is boldly marked as 'Autonomous'.
Marks and Grading system
Non- Autonomous Colleges
All the affiliated non autonomous colleges assess the students by a mark system. An aggregate score is calculated out of 100 as a percentage. All the subjects get equal weightage. The final score is not calculated as a GPA but are instead awarded with various classes according to the marks obtained.
The different classes awarded to the students of non-autonomous colleges are :
|Class Awarded||Marks Range||Abbreviation|
|First Class with Distinction||70 - 100||FCD|
|First Class||60 - 69||FC|
|Second Class||35 - 59||SC|
The university organizes competitions for most sports played in India. Most competitions are held in its affiliated colleges except for tennis Hockey, Tennis and Table-Tennis which are held in the university campus at Belgaum. The winning teams then represent the University in national level competitions. VTU organizes the national level inter-university competition in Table Tennis.
Visvesvaraya Institute of Advanced Technology
Visvesvaraya Institute of Advanced Technology, also known as VIAT, is a research institute being constructed in Muddenahalli-Kanivenarayanapura, Karnataka, India. The institute is located on 200 acres (0.81 km2) of prime land nestled in the Nandi Hills and is expected to cost 600 crores. In the initial years, VIAT will focus on research in embedded technology, software quality, agricultural engineering and bioengineering. Each department would function as a discovery-innovation center. The institute will offer graduate and PhD programs in the sciences.
Presently, there are 208 colleges affiliated to the university. The colleges are categorised as government, private-aided and private-unaided based on the type of funding. A few colleges may be classified as Minority Linguistic and Minority Religious based on the minority status of languages and religions. Further, these colleges are placed under Autonomous and Non-Autonomous category of institutions based on the autonomy granted by UGC.
A block in Acharya Institute of Technology
BMSIT Main building
A building in BVBCET
MSRIT Electrical Sciences Block
Panini Block in P.E.S. Institute of Technology
A block in R.V. College of Engineering
Siddaganga Institute of Technology Main block
|Agency||Indian Rank §||World Rank †||Year|
|4 International Colleges & Universities (4icu.org)||22 ||1053 ||2011|
|Webometrics||27 ||3951 ||2011|
§ - The Rank among all the Indian universities
† - The Rank among all the World universities
List of Vice Chancellors
|No.||From||To||Name||Position previously held|
|1||April 1, 1998||March 30, 2001||Dr. S. Rajashekharaiah ||Principal,|
|2||April 1, 2001||June 30, 2007||Dr. K. Balaveera Reddy ||Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering,|
|3||July 1, 2007||June 30, 2010||Dr. H. P. Khincha ||Chairman, Division of Electrical Sciences, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore |
|4||July 1, 2010||Till Date||Dr. H. Maheshappa ||Principal,
Cambridge Institute of Technology, Bangalore 
- List of colleges affiliated to Visvesvaraya Technological University
- Visvesvaraya Institute of Advanced Technology
- Academic Dept
- Governing Bodies
- About VTU
- "Honour for VTU Vice-Chancellor". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 2006-08-25.
- [dead link]
- Visveswaraiah Technological University | Ranking & Review
- "Minds - Visvesvaraya Technological University". Minds-india.org. 1998-04-01. Retrieved 2011-10-29.
- ug scheme & syllabus 2010-11
- Scheme & Syllabus of PG Programmes - 2010-11
- About VTU
- "VTU Extension Centre". Vtu.ac.in. 2011-02-18. Retrieved 2011-10-29.
- Governing Bodies
- "ANNq" (PDF). Retrieved 2011-10-29.
- Degree Awarded
- Minds - Visvesvaraya Technological University
- Handbook of universities - Ameeta Gupta, Ashish Kumar - Google Books
- Vision - Mission - Mandate
- Scheme and Syllabus
- Vivan, Sridhar (2012-04-30). "VTU to get on track with railway elective". Bangalore: Bangalore Mirror. Retrieved 30 April 2012.
- Research Portal
- Research Portal
- "Makeover for VTU engg curriculum". Deccanherald.com. Retrieved 2011-10-29.
- "Centres of Excellence". Vtu.ac.in. 2011-02-18. Retrieved 2011-10-29.
- Uday (2009-05-21). "All muddled over Microsoft- VTU MoU". All About Belgaum. Retrieved 2011-10-29.
- "VTU signs technology deal - Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 2002-12-17. Retrieved 2011-10-29.
- "Autonomy Cell". Vtu.ac.in. Retrieved 2011-10-29.
- [dead link]
- "Education Plus : VTU fest from Feb. 15". Chennai, India: The Hindu. 2009-01-26. Retrieved 2011-10-29.
- "Foundation stone for VIAT to be laid soon". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 2008-12-12.
- "An emerging educational hub". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 2009-09-07.
- "CET - Manual Book 69-83 Pages" (PDF). Retrieved 2011-10-29.
- "Top Colleges & Universities in India | University Web Rankings". 4icu.org. Retrieved 2011-10-29.
- "Visveswaraiah Technological University | Ranking & Review". 4icu.org. 2011-09-05. Retrieved 2011-10-29.
- "Ranking Web by Country: Top Colleges and Best Universities of India". Webometrics.info. Retrieved 2011-10-29.
- "Rajashekharaiah leaves VTU on strong foundation". Chennai, India: The Hindu. 2001-04-01. Retrieved 2011-10-29.
- "NATIONAL / KARNATAKA : Maheshappa takes over as VC". Chennai, India: The Hindu. 2010-07-02. Retrieved 2011-10-29.
- "VTU VC will complete term: Minister - Deccan Herald - Internet Edition". Archive.deccanherald.com. Retrieved 2011-10-29.
- Handbook of universities - Ameeta Gupta, Ashish Kumar - Google Books. Books.google.co.in. Retrieved 2011-10-29.
- "Deccan Herald - Prof Khincha is new VTU VC". Archive.deccanherald.com. Retrieved 2011-10-29.
- ORCA INFOTECH PVT LTD, www.orcainfotech.com. "Society for Innovation & Development - Indian Institute of Science, SID - IISc". Sid.iisc.ernet.in. Retrieved 2011-10-29.
- "Karnataka News : Maheshappa named Vice-Chancellor of VTU". Chennai, India: The Hindu. 2010-07-01. Retrieved 2011-10-29.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Visvesvaraya Technological University.|