Vitaly Leontiyevich Mutko (Russian: Виталий Леонтьевич Мутко; born December 8, 1958 in Krasnodar Krai) is a Russian politician. Since May 2008, he has been Minister of Sport, Tourism and Youth policy.
World Cup bid
Mutko was the chairman for Russia's successful bid to host the World Cup in 2018. He has, however, been criticised for his comments about the rival English bid, such as by suggesting that English football is corrupt. By way of explanation, he said: "What I meant was that sometimes the English media say there is corruption in Russia, but I meant that if you dig deeply you find corruption in any country".
Mutko accompanied the Russian team to the Winter Olympics in Vancouver in 2010. Afterwards, a report by the Russian parliament's Audit Chamber criticised him for claiming for a total of 97 breakfasts during the team's twenty-day stay in Canada, costing a total of $4,500. Each night in his hotel was charged at $1,499. In total, Mutko is said to have spent twelve times his official limit. Mutko told Vedomosti newspaper: "Why do those who want to accuse me of something not interest themselves in how much the French sports minister paid for accommodation?"
- 2009 - Member of the FIFA Executive Committee
- Vice-President of the Football Federation of St Petersburg
- Founder and President of the Public Charity Foundation for Support and Development of Football in St Petersburg “Golden Pelican”
- President of the Special Olympic Committee of St Petersburg, conducting competitions for athletes with disabilities and developing rehabilitation programs for people with intellectual disabilities
- 2005 - 2009 - President of the Football Union of Russia (External links)
- 2001-2003 - President of the Russian Football Premier League (External links)
Honours and awards
- Order of Merit for the Fatherland 3rd (2014) and 4th class (2008)
- Order of Honour
- Order of Friendship
- Medal "In Commemoration of the 300th Anniversary of Saint Petersburg"
- Medal "In Commemoration of the 1000th Anniversary of Kazan"
- Russian Government
- Russian 2018 bid leader claims there is corruption in England, insideworldfootball.biz
- Vancouver Olympics spending scandal: How much does a Russian breakfast cost?, csmonitor.com
- Russia rests 2018 World Cup bid on belief that big and bold is best, Guardian
- Russia's Olympic spend-a-thon: By the numbers, theweek.com
- Auditor: Sports Minister Spent $4,500 on Vancouver Breakfasts, Moscow Times
- "FIFA's official website".
- "FIFA's official website". FIFA.
- "Russian International Olympic University". olympicuniversity.ru.
- "SoccerFolk". soccerfolk.org.