November 19, 1961 |
Madurai, Tamil Nadu, India
Vivek (born 19 November 1961) is an Indian film actor, comedian, and television personality working in the Tamil film industry. Introduced in films by director K. Balachander, he has won five Filmfare Best Comedian Awards for his performances in Khushi (2000), Minnale (2001), Run (2002), Perazhagan (2004) and Sivaji (2007). In 2009, Vivek received the Padma Shri award by the Government of India for his contribution to the arts. As a television personality, Vivek has hosted a number of events and has interviewed media personalities, notably A. P. J. Abdul Kalam, A. R. Rahman, and Rajinikanth.
Vivek obtained a Bachelor's Degree in commerce from American College, Madurai shortly before commencing his film career. He initially wanted to be a writer and joined as an assistant to K. Balachandar. While assisting with the script for Manathil Uruthi Vendum in 1987, he was subsequently selected to be part of the cast.
Vivek, born in Madurai, is married to Arulselvi, whom with he had Amritha Nandini Vivek, Tejaswini Vivek and Prasanna Kumar Vivek. Vivek was the brand ambassador of Mirinda softdrinks in 2003. As of 2011, he is the ambassador of Nathella jewellery.
Vivek launched Green Kalam, under the guidance of former Indian President A. P. J. Abdul Kalam. He sponsored the planting of more than 2.15 million trees in a span of less than three months in the first phase. "Green Kalam Project”, a Campaign against global warming, which had attained its mission of planting billion trees for billion people all over the state.
Awards and honours
Vivek has won the Filmfare Award for Best Comedian – Tamil for Run (2002), Saamy (2003), Perazhagan (2004), and Sivaji. He won the Tamil Nadu State Film Award for Best Comedian for Unnaruge Naanirul, Run, Parthiban Kanavu (2003), and Sivaji. His other creative awards include International Tamil Film Award for Best Comedian, Variety Cinema Award for Best Comedian, Asianet Film Award for Best Comedian, and Edison Award for Best Comedian. Vivek was bestowed with the Padma Shri Award in 2009.
- A crown on my head: Vivek – Tamil Movie News. IndiaGlitz. Retrieved on 2011-05-26.
- Meet Vivek, the comedian with a social touch | cityinterviews – Chennai 360. ChennaiOnline. Retrieved on 2011-05-26.
- Mirinda Ropes In Tamil Comedian Vivek As Brand Ambassador. Financialexpress.com (2003-04-10). Retrieved on 2012-02-05.
- Metro Plus Tiruchirapalli / Cinema : Aahaa...Vivek Mirinda. The Hindu (2005-08-13). Retrieved on 2012-02-05.
- Interview with Vivek. Geetham.net. Retrieved on 2012-02-05.
- Nathella Jewellery Chennai, India, Boom Baa Offer. YouTube (2010-07-12). Retrieved on 2012-02-05.
- 51st Annual Manikchand Filmfare Award winners – Times Of India. Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com (2004-06-04). Retrieved on 2012-02-05.