|Headquarters||Los Angeles, United States|
|Key people||Steven Hirsch (Founder/Co-Chairman)
Bill Asher (Co-Owner/Co-Chairman)
Marci Hirsch (VP of Production)
|Products||Adult films, brand licensing program that extends to sex toys, books, skateboards, snowboards, condoms, apparel, etc.|
Vivid Entertainment Group is an American pornographic film production company, featuring a catalog of VHS and DVD titles and internet content. In 2006 it was described by Reuters as one of the handful of studios that dominate the U.S. porn industry. It is based in Los Angeles, California. Founder Steven Hirsch is co-chairman, along with Bill Asher, who is also a co-owner.
In the 1990s Vivid began to win industry honors, and today has more AVN Awards than any other studio. Vivid Girls in the 90s included the actresses who were known by their first names alone: Janine, Lexus and Savannah, plus stars such as Christy Canyon, Nikki Tyler, Racquel Darrian (the "brunette goddess of porn"), Chasey Lain, Heather Hunter and Kobe Tai. Those who have attained fame in more recent years include Jenna Jameson, Tera Patrick, Savanna Samson, Sunny Leone and others.
Vivid became the first studio to introduce celebrity sex tapes, including Pamela Anderson & Tommy Lee: Hardcore & Uncensored, Janine & Vince Neil: Hardcore and Uncensored, Kim Kardashian Superstar, Jimi Hendrix: The Sex Tape and others.
Additional brand-name awareness has been created with marketing and licensing programs for Vivid Vodka, condoms, snowboards, skateboards, tee shirts, playing cards, advertising, calendars, comic books and book publishing. How to Have a XXX Sex Life: The Ultimate Vivid Guide, co-authored by the Vivid Girls and published by HarperCollins, was a best seller.
Vivid and alt-porn
In February 2006 Vivid made its foray into alt-porn with the signing of director Eon McKai and the formation of the Vivid-Alt imprint. Vivid-Alt in turn hired erotic photographers—Dave Naz and Octavio "Winkytiki" Arizala to direct features for the imprint.
The first film directed by Eon McKai under that imprint, Girls Lie, was nominated for an AVN Award, one of 13 nominations in 2008 for various Vivid-Alt imprint releases. In 2009 the company won the AVN Award for Best Music Soundtrack for The Bad Luck Betties and in 2010 for the musical soundtrack of Live in My Secrets.
In March 2007 Vivid signed award-winning author, columnist, editor and sex educator Tristan Taormino to head up the Vivid Ed imprint, which has produced several how-to DVD sex guides including The Expert Guide To Anal Sex, The Expert Guide to Oral Sex, Part 1: Cunnilingus, The Expert Guide to Oral Sex, Part 2: Fellatio and The Expert Guide to the G-Spot. In 2010 Vivid Ed's director Tristan Taormino received several AVN Awards as well as the Trailblazer Award from the Feminist Porn Awards in Toronto, Canada on April 9, 2010.
In 1998 Vivid pioneered the development of the celebrity sex tape, when it distributed Pam & Tommy Lee Hardcore & Uncensored. Some of the Vivid Celeb videos are obtained directly from the celebrities while others are acquired through third parties. Vivid's collection of celebrity sex videos includes Janine & Vince Neil Hardcore & Uncensored (1998); The Tom Sizemore Sex Scandal (2005); Karrine Steffans Superhead (2006); Lil Jon's Vivid Vegas Party (2006); Toastee Exposed (Jennifer "Toastee" Toof) (2007); Kim Kardashian Superstar (2007); Jessica Sierra Superstar (2008); former Miss USA Kelli McCarty in Faithless (2009); Mindy McCready Baseball Mistress (2010); The 11th Hole (2010) starring Tiger Woods' mistress Joslyn James; Kendra Exposed (2010) featuring TV personality Kendra Wilkinson, and Montana Fishburne (2010) starring the daughter of actor Laurence Fishburne.
In 2010, following the successful distribution of Batman XXX: A Porn Parody from Axel Braun Productions, Vivid announced it would launch an on-going series of parodies under the Vivid SuperXXXHeroes imprint with Axel Braun as lead director. The first title is Superman XXX: A Porn Parody. Vivid will also continue to distribute parodies from Braun's production company. The initial lineup includes Star Wars XXX: A Porn Parody, to be followed by spoofs of the popular TV shows Law & Order, Starsky & Hutch, and The Addams Family, as well as classic movies like Grease, A Clockwork Orange (film) and The Godfather.
On November 7, 2011 Vivid Entertainment launched its Vivid for Google TV channel as "the first TV app designed to make sexually explicit content available through the new Google TV set-top device." It will broadcast in high definition "award-winning adult movies, celebrity sex tapes, XXX parodies of popular superheroes, educational videos and other content", to who also subscribe to the company's website.
Policies and production values
Vivid produces over 60 titles a year. The company has a small number of high budget movies that it produces and aggressively markets. This is different from many other San Fernando Valley production companies, which routinely film, edit and release a two-hour title in less than a week, spending relatively little on advertising or promotion. According to Forbes Magazine Vivid's annual revenue is estimated to be $100 million USD. The same estimate was given by Business Week in June 2006. However, Vivid also aggressively repackages its original material in compilations, which are relatively inexpensive to produce. Forbes also reported that approximately one third of all the titles sold in U.S. adult DVD stores are Vivid films.
Its titles are sold through retail stores across the United States, the rental market and direct to consumers through various online mail-order sites. Vivid also distributes the films to cable and satellite channels and offers its Internet subscribers full access to the largest archive of titles in the adult industry.
Vivid also runs several websites, including Vivid.com, featuring its Vivid Girls. These websites prominently promote the "Vivid Girls" and their various videos. The sites also allow users to view scenes from various Vivid productions, as well as much Internet-only content.
In October 2010, Vivid stopped production as a precaution when an actor tested positive for HIV.
An October 2012 open letter from Steven Hirsch took aim at a Los Angeles County plan that would require performers to wear condoms on set. Hirsch said the proposal would be costly and ineffective and was an example of unnecessary government intrusion into private bedrooms.
On December 6, 2007, Vivid Entertainment filed a copyright infringement lawsuit against PornoTube. The lawsuit alleged that the YouTube-like site profits from the illegal posting of Vivid's copyrighted films, and failed to comply with the Child Protection and Obscenity Enforcement Act, a federal age-verification and record-keeping law that applies to the adult film industry. The case was settled out of court.
In April 2010, country singer Mindy McCready sent Vivid a cease and desist letter ordering them not to distribute copies of her sex tape. Vivid produced proof that it had a signed release form from McCready.
Awards and recognition
According to AVN, Vivid has won more of its awards than any other studio in the history of the industry. A selection of some of them follows in addition to awards and nominations received from other notable industry organizations:
- 1987 AVN Award – 'Best Video Feature' for Blame it on Ginger
- 1991 AVN Award – 'Best Vignette Release' for Beat the Heat
- 1992 AVN Award – 'Best Vignette Release' for Scarlet Fantasy
- 1992 AVN Award – 'Top Renting Release of the Year' for The Masseuse
- 1992 AVN Award – 'Best Film' for On Trial
- 1997 AVN Award – 'Best Film' for Bobby Sox
- 1998 AVN Award – 'Best Film' for Bad Wives
- 2000 AVN Award – 'Best Film' for Seven Deadly Sins
- 2002 AVN Award – 'Best Film' for Fade To Black
- 2003 AVN Award – 'Top Selling Release of the Year' for Brianna Loves Jenna
- 2003 AVN Award – 'Top Renting Release of the Year' for Brianna Loves Jenna
- 2004 AVN Award – 'Best Film' for Heart of Darkness
- 2005 AVN Award – 'Best Film' for The Masseuse
- 2005 AVN Award – 'Best Video Feature' for Bella Loves Jenna
- 2006 AVN Award – 'Best Film' for The New Devil in Miss Jones
- 2006 AVN Award – 'Top Renting Release of the Year' for The Masseuse
- 2007 AVN Award – 'Best Gonzo Release' for Chemistry
- 2007 AVN Award – 'Best Interactive CD-ROM – Game' for Virtual Vivid Girl Sunny Leone
- 2008 AVN Award – Top Renting Title of the Year – 2007' for Debbie Does Dallas ... Again
- 2008 AVN Award – 'Best Film' for Layout
- 2008 AVN Award – 'Best Pro-Am Series' for Filthy's First Taste
- 2009 AVN Award – 'Best Music Soundtrack' – The Bad Luck Betties
- 2009 AVN Award – 'Best Educational Release' for Tristan Taormino's Expert Guide to Oral Sex 2
- 2009 AVN Award – 'Best Film' for Cry Wolf
- 2010 AVN Awards – Throat: A Cautionary Tale won 5 awards
- 2010 AVN Award – 'Best Overall Marketing Campaign – Company Image'
- 2010 AVN Award – 'Best Music Soundtrack' – Live in My Secrets – Vivid-Alt
- 2010 AVN Award – Vivid Ed for 'Best Educational Release' – Tristan Taormino's Expert Guide to Threesomes
- 2010 AVN Award – 'Best Pro-Am Series' Brand New Faces
- 2010 XBIZ Award Nominee – Studio of the Year
- 2010 XBIZ Award Nominee – Feature Movie of the Year for Faithless
- 2010 XBIZ Award Nominee – Feature Movie of the Year for Throat: A Cautionary Tale
- 2010 XBIZ Award Nominee – Feature Movie of the Year for Live In My Secrets (Vivid-Alt)
- 2010 XBIZ Award – 'Marketing Campaign of the Year' – Throat: A Cautionary Tale
- 2012 XBIZ Award – 'Marketing Campaign of the Year' – Spider-Man XXX
- 2013 XBIZ Award Nominee - 'Studio of the Year', 'Parody Release of the Year-Comedy' for Star Wars XXX: A Porn Parody; also 'Parody Release of the Year-Drama' for The Avengers XXX: A Porn Parody and The Dark Knight XXX: A Porn Parody. Additional nominations include: 'All-Sex Series of the Year for Brand New Faces, 'Vignette Release of the Year' for Allie Haze: True Sex and Goddess
- 2013 XBIZ Award – 'Vignette Release of the Year' – Allie Haze: True Sex
- 2013 XBIZ Award - 'Parody Release of the Year - Comedy' - Star Wars XXX: A Porn Parody
List of Vivid Girls
The following is a list of notable Vivid actresses known as Vivid Girls during the first twenty-five years of Vivid from http://business.avn.com/articles/Vivid-s-25th-Anniversary-How-Steven-Hirsch-s-Company-Thrust-Porn-Into-Mainstream-America-359979.html. Some are now on Vivid Radio on Sirius/XM. Vivid has not signed new Vivid Girls during the past few years.
- Asia Carrera
- Barbara Dare
- Brea Lynn
- Briana Banks
- Chasey Lain
- Chelsea Sinclaire
- Cheyenne Silver
- Chloe Jones
- Christy Canyon
- Deidre Holland
- Dyanna Lauren
- Ginger Lynn
- Hanna Hilton
- Heather Hunter
- Hyapatia Lee
- Jamie Summers
- Janine Lindemulder
- Jenna Jameson
- Jennifer Stewart
- Julia Ann
- Julianne James
- Kayden Kross
- Kelly Jaye
- Kira Kener
- Kobe Tai
- Lacie Heart
- Lanny Barby
- Leslie Glass
- Lexie Marie
- Lexa (Fka Lexus)
- Lori Michaels
- Lyndsey & Lacey Love aka The Love Twins
- Madelyn Knight
- Meggan Mallone
- Monique Alexander
- Nikki Charm
- Nikki Dial
- Nikki Jayne
- Nikki Randall
- Nikki Tyler
- Racquel Darrian
- Savanna Samson
- Stefani Morgan
- Sunny Leone
- Sunrise Adams
- Tawny Roberts
- Taylor Hayes
- Tera Patrick
- Tia Bella
- Tiffany Taylor
- Tori Welles
- "The (Porn) Player" by Matthew Miller, Forbes magazine, July 4, 2005.
- Adult-film-studio-blames-Google DigitalEdge, Mon February 18, 2008..
- "Porn stars strut their stuff at awards". Television New Zealand. Reuters. January 9, 2006. Retrieved November 30, 2011.
- "Vivid Entertainment LLC: CEOs and Executives", BusinessWeek.
- Vivid Entertainment LLC. "THE 90s - THE VIVID FORMULA WORKS". 25yearsofvivid.com. Retrieved 2013-04-15.
- Girls, Vivid. "How to Have a XXX Sex Life: The Ultimate Vivid Guide by Vivid Girls". Harpercollins.com. Retrieved 2012-05-25.
- "Eon McKai Goes Vivid" Fleshbot, February 16, 2006
- Chris Thorne. "Behind The Scenes at Vivid-Alt". XCritic. Retrieved 2008-01-04.
- Steve Nelson - email@example.com (November 28, 2007). "Vivid Lands 168 Noms". Ainews.com. Retrieved 2012-05-25.
- 2009 AVN Award – 'Best Music Soundtrack' – The Bad Luck Betties; 'Best Educational Release' for Tristan Taormino's Expert Guide to Oral Sex 2; 'Best Film' for Cry Wolf.
- 2010 AVN Awards – Throat: A Cautionary Tale won 5 awards; 'Best Overall Marketing Campaign – Company Image'; 'Best Music Soundtrack' – Live in My Secrets; Vivid Ed for 'Best Educational Release' – Tristan Taormino's Expert Guide to Threesomes; 'Best Pro-Am Series' Brand New Faces.
- "Tristan Taormino Debuts Vivid Ed Line" by Eddie Adams AVN March 30, 2007
- "The Fifth Annual Good For Her Feminist Porn Awards". Goodforher.com. Retrieved 2012-05-25.
- "Google Signs up Porn". November 9, 2011.
- Pulley, Brett (March 7, 2005). "The Porn King". Forbes. Archived from the original on March 9, 2005.
- "The Pornographers vs. The Pirates". Business Week. June 19, 2006.
- Rubbers Revolutionary: AIDS Healthcare Foundation’s Michael Weinstein by Patrick Range McDonald, LA Weekly. January 28, 2010
- "LA Weekly: Profiles AHF's "Adult Film Condom Campaign" by Patrick Range McDonald, LA Weekly. January 28, 2010
- "Porn actor tests positive for HIV". The Guardian (London). October 13, 2010. Retrieved October 13, 2010.
- "Vivid Entertainment owner says condoms bad for porn biz". Frank C. Girardot. October 2, 2012.
- PrivCo.com Private Company Financial Report on Vivid Entertainment LLC – 'PrivCo.com Private Company Financial Report on Vivid Entertainment LLC'.
- Joseph Menn (December 11, 2007). "Porn producer sues YouTube knockoff". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2007-12-11.
- "Home porn gives industry the blues", guardian.co.uk, December 16, 2007. Retrieved March 4, 2009.
- "Adult Film Company's Copyright Lawsuit Against PornoTube". FindLaw. December 11, 2007. Retrieved 2007-12-11.
- Copyright Lawsuit Against PornoTube Withdrawn by Janko Roettger.s October 24, 2008.
- "Mindy McCready Sex Tape – Troubled Country Singer Fights Back". National Ledger. April 3, 2010. Retrieved April 7, 2010.
- Mindy McCready Wants Vivid to Destroy Her Sex Tape posted March 31, 2010.
- Vivid Moves Forward with Release of Mindy McCready Sex Tape posted April 28, 2010.
- 1987 AVN Award – 'Best Video Feature' for Blame it on Ginger.
- 1991 AVN Award – 'Best Vignette Release' for Beat the Heat.
- 1992 AVN Award – 'Best Vignette Release' for Scarlet Fantasy; Renting Release of the Year' for The Masseuse; 'Best Film' for On Trial.
- 1997 AVN Award – 'Best Film' for Bobby Sox.
- 1998 AVN Award – 'Best Film' for Bad Wives.
- 2000 AVN Award – 'Best Film' for Seven Deadly Sins.
- AVN Award – 'Best Film' for Fade To Black.
- 2003 AVN Award – 'Top Selling Release of the Year' and 'Top Renting Release of the Year' for Brianna Loves Jenna.
- 2004 AVN Award – 'Best Film' for Heart of Darkness.
- 2005 AVN Award – 'Best Film' for The Masseuse; 'Best Video Feature' for Bella Loves Jenna.
- 2006 AVN Award – 'Best Film' for The New Devil in Miss Jones; 'Top Renting Release of the Year' for The Masseuse.
- 2007 AVN Award – 'Best Gonzo Release' for Chemistry; 'Best Interactive CD-ROM – Game' for Virtual Vivid Girl Sunny Leone.
- 2008 AVN Award – Top Renting Title of the Year – 2007' for Debbie Does Dallas...Again; 'Best Film' for Layout; 'Best Pro-Am Series' for Filthy's First Taste.
- XBIZ Announces Finalist Nominees for 2010 XBIZ Awards, XBIZ, Wednesday, December 16, 2009
- XBIZ Award Winners, XBIZ, February, 2011
- XBIZ Award Winners, XBIZ, January, 2012
- XBIZ Nominees 2013, XBIZ, January, 2013
- "2013 XBIZ Award Winners Announced". XBIZ. 11 January 2013. Retrieved 12 January 2013.
- XBIZ Award Winners 2013, XBIZ, January, 2013
|Wikinews has related news: Preview of sex tape starring former 'American Idol' finalist Jessica Sierra is released|