Vivien Goldman (born 25 August 1954) is a British journalist, writer and musician.
Early life and education
Goldman lived in Paris for a year and a half, where she was a member of new wave duo Chantage, which gained modest fame in France. She released the "Dirty Washing EP" in 1981, with tracks produced by John Lydon and Adrian Sherwood. The EP appeared first on Ed Bahlman's iconic 99 Records imprint on 3 June 1981.
In August 1981, two of the tracks from the EP, "Launderette" and "Private Armies," were issued as a 7" single in the UK. Later the song "Launderette" was included on Gomma Records' "Anti NY" compilation and the Chicks On Speed-produced Girl Monster collection. In that year she also contributed vocals (on the track "Private Armies," which is actually "Private Armies Dub," or "P.A. Dub," from the EP) to the New Age Steppers' self-titled debut.
Goldman wrote for the music magazines NME, Sounds and Melody Maker about reggae, punk and post-punk. She was a member of The Flying Lizards, shared a flat with fellow NME journalist and The Pretenders singer Chrissie Hynde.
Goldman is also an accomplished documentarian and adjunct professor of punk and reggae at New York University's (NYU) Clive Davis Department of Recorded Music. She is also an adjunct professor of musical cultures and industry at Rutgers University's School of Communication and Information (Rutgers University).
In January 2007, BBC America began a regular Ask the Punk Professor feature on their website with Goldman answering questions and commenting on current events. The feature ran through 2008.
- The Book of Exodus: The Making and Meaning of Bob Marley and the Wailers' Album of the Century (2006)
- The Black Chord: Visions of the Groove: Connections between Afro-Beats, Rhythm and Blues, Hip Hop, and More (with David Corio) (1999)
- Pearl's Delicious Jamaican Dishes: Recipes from Pearl Bell's Repertoire (1992)
- Kid Creole and the Coconuts: Indiscreet (1984)
- Bob Marley, Soul Rebel - Natural Mystic (1981)
- Vivien Goldman's Website
- Vivien Goldman profile at Rock's Back Pages
- 99 Records History
- Video: PUNKCAST#143 Vivien Goldman @ Barnard College - NYC April 11, 2002
- Video: PUNKCAST#974 Book reading @ Soho McNally Robinson NYC May 25, 2006
Notes and references
- Vivian Goldman: Never Mind the Swastikas. Der Freitag, 13 March 2014. p. 15
- "Dirty washing / vocals Vivien Goldman". United States Copyright Office. Retrieved 29 January 2011.
- "Launderette". Retrieved 3 October 2013.
- "SteelPulse". Retrieved 13 May 2014.
- News related to Vivien Goldman: An interview with the Punk Professor at Wikinews