|Comune di Vizzini|
Panorama of Vizzini
|Frazioni||Camemi, Vizzini Scalo|
|• Mayor||Vito Saverio Cortese (From:2002May 28)|
|• Total||125 km2 (48 sq mi)|
|Elevation||586 m (1,923 ft)|
|• Density||51/km2 (130/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Patron saint||St. Gregory|
|Saint day||12 March|
Vizzini is a town and comune in the province of Catania, on the island of Sicily. It is located 60 kilometres (37 mi) from Catania in the Hyblaean Mountains, on the most northwesterly slopes of Monte Lauro.
The modern town developed in the Middle Ages around a now non-extant castle, as a fief of various lords, including the Chiaromontes and the Schittinos, although for many years it was also part of the royal domain.
The Arab layout of the town can be clearly seen passing from Via Verga to Via San Gregorio Magno and proceeding as far as Largo della Matrice, a square with a statue of St. Gregory in the middle and the Chiesa Madre (S. Gregorio Magno) at one side.
The portal on the left face of the church, in splendid 15th-century Gothic-Catalan style, probably came from the old Town Hall, destroyed by the earthquake in 1693; in the interior there are late 18th century stuccos and a wooden ceiling by Natale Bonaiuto, as well as two paintings (The Martyrdom of St. Laurence and the Madonna delle Mercede) by Filippo Paladini (or Paladino), born in Florence about 1544. Another painting by Paladino, The Deposition (1607), is in the Chiesa del Convento dei Cappuccini.
The church of San Giovanni Battista is from the 18th century. The stuccos decorating the interior are by Natale Bonaiuto (also mentioned with reference to the Chiesa Madre).
The front of Chiesa S. Teresa is said to be the setting for scenes from Cavalleria Rusticana, the libretto of which is based on the play of the same name by Giovanni Verga, who lived in Vizzini for a time.
Antonello Gagini is present in the Chiesa dei Minori Osservanti, with a fine statue of the Madonna and Child (1527).
- Chiesa dello Spirito Santo
- Chiesa di S. Maria di Gesù
- Chiesa di S. Vito
- Chiesa S. Annunziata
- Chiesa di S. Francesco di Paola
- Chiesa di S. Maria del Pericolo
- Chiesa S. Sebastiano
- Chiesa S. Teresa.
- Chiesa dei Minori Osservanti
- Chiesa di Sant'Agata
- Chiesa del Convento dei Cappuccini
- Monastero S. Maria dei Greci
- Santa Lucia
Palaces and other buildings
- Palazzo di Citta (early 19th century)
- Palazzo Verga (family of the writer)(18th century)
- Palazzo di città (municipio)(Town Hall Building)
- Palazzo Cannizzaro
- Palazzo Passanisi
- Palazzo Cafici
- Palazzo La Gurna
- Palazzo Trao
- Palazzo Gandolfo Maggiore
The writer Giovanni Verga used Vizzini as the setting for his Cavalleria Rusticana and Mastro Don Gesualdo, describing places and scenes that are still recognizable (the prickly pears of Cunziria, and in a sloping alley the house of the Trao family).
- Giovanni Verga (1840–1922), Italian realist writer.
- Lucio Marineo Siculo (1444–1533). Humanists Scholar at the University of Salamanca, Spain, teacher of translating Italian love poetry, Latin, and Greek lyrics into Spanish. Lived in the court of the Spanish kings Ferdinand and Isabel where he taught Joan Boscà i Almogàver.
- Procession of "Sorrows" - Good Friday
- "A Cugnunta" - Easter Sunday
- "Ricotta and Cheese Festival" - 23, 24 and 25 April
- Festival of San Giuseppe - 19 April
- "Festival of Taste and Odours" - 2 June
- Festival of San Giovanni Battista - 28 and 29 August
- Events Verghiane - July / August
- Festival of the Patron San Gregorio Magno - 2 and 3 September
- "Rocksticana " - Rock music festival for emerging groups - September
- Traditional "Festival of the Dead" - 30 / 31 October and 1 November
- "Living Nativity" - December
Salita Lucio Marineo (Tiled Stairs), Vizzini
- House of Siracusa
- Allied invasion of Sicily - during the Second World War Vizzini was captured on 14 July 1943.
- Cerignola, Italy
- Sicily and Its Islands, 2004 - Ugo La Rosa editore
- AA. VV., Castelli medievali di Sicilia - Guida agli itinerari castellani dell'isola, Grafiche Renna, Palermo 2001"VIZZINI - Denominazione: castello o torre di Vizzini; turris Bizini.Cartografia IGM: 273 II N.O. Vizzini. Dati catastali: Vizzini, F° 80, partt. 1847, 2049. Bibliografia essenziale:Amico 1855-56. II, pp. 663-66; Maurici 1992.. p.384;SMDS,VII,pp.80-83. C.M.B"
- Giusy Larinà -Towards a typology of decorative façades in 18th-century Sicilian organs (This article was published in Italian in Il Canto dell'Aquila, (Centro di Studi Musicali per il Meridione, Caltagirone) July 1990, pp102-111.)Photographs courtesy of Vincenzo Piluso.English translation by N. Waanders 2001[dead link]
- Joan Boscà i Almogàver was a student of Lucio Marineo Siculo from Vizzini,Italy
- Biblioteca Comunale "Lucio Marineo"[dead link]
- JSTOR: Renaissance Quarterly, Vol. 50, No. 3 (Autumn, 1997 ), pp. 701-722:# Marineo Siculo: A Protagonist of Humanism in Spain(Erika Rummel)[dead link]
- Rocksticana, concorso musicale per gruppi emergenti[dead link]
- SICILY ON LINE - Vizzini
- Biography: Bernard Law Montgomery: jewishvirtuallibrary.org
- (Italian)Official website of the Comune di Vizzini
- (Italian)InfoVizzini.it - "The website of the Citizens of Vizzini"
- (English)Vizzini Genealogy(Birth / Marriage / Death indices 1820-1860 / Military Draft Index 1840-1913)
- (English)Towards a typology of decorative façades in 18th-century Sicilian organs (Page 3)(Page 4)
- (English)B-26 320th Bomb Group 1943 Missions - 10 July 1943 - Vizzini (Sicily) (Mission No.44 No. Aircraft 22) - Scanned pdf copy of the Mission Summary and strike photo.