Chiricheș lining up for Romania in 2012
|Full name||Vlad Iulian Chiricheș|
|Date of birth||14 November 1989|
|Place of birth||Bacău, Romania|
|Height||1.84 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|Playing position||Centre back|
|2010–2012||Pandurii Târgu Jiu||39||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 10 December 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
Vlad Iulian Chiricheș (Romanian pronunciation: [vlad ˈkirikeʃ]; born 14 November 1989) is a Romanian professional footballer who plays as a centre back for English Premier League club Tottenham Hotspur and the Romanian national team.
Chiricheș, who is of Hungarian descent, began his career at LPS Bacău as a midfielder, even as a striker a few years later when he moved to Ardealul Cluj playing alongside Mihai Răduț and Alexandru Maxim. He then moved to Portuguese side Benfica in 2007.
Internațional and Pandurii
Upon his return to Romania after 12 months spent in Portugal, Chiricheș joined lower league club Internațional Curtea de Argeș and helped them earn promotion to the top flight Liga I in 2009. In 2010, shortly after Internațional was dissolved, he moved alongside many of his teammates to Pandurii Târgu Jiu. Chiricheș was close to signing with Steaua București instead of Pandurii, but Victor Pițurcă, Steaua's coach at the time, did not agree with the transfer.
After one season, Chiricheș sealed another transfer, this time to Steaua București for a reported sum of €700,000 and 25% left to Pandurii in case of a future transfer. On 6 August 2013, Steaua paid another €500,000 for the 25% left of the co-ownership, making the total transfer sum to €1.2 million. On 25 October 2012, he scored an overhead volley from near the penalty spot in a 2–0 win against Molde in the Europa League, which put Steaua in control of Group E. Chiricheș scored from long range against Ajax on 21 February 2013, canceling out a two-goal first-leg deficit as Steaua triumphed in the penalty shoot-out to set up a Round of 16 meeting with 2012 Champions League winners, Chelsea. He scored again, an equalising goal to make it 1–1 with a fine close-range finish on the stroke of half-time in the 3–1 second leg loss against The Blues at Stamford Bridge after Steaua has managed to win the first leg 1–0.
Steaua agreed a deal with Tottenham Hotspur for the transfer of Chiricheș on 24 August 2013, for a club-record fee of €9.5 million. The transfer was completed on 30 August. On 24 September, Chiriches made his debut for Tottenham Hotspur in a 4–0 victory over Aston Villa in the League Cup. Chiriches' debut for Tottenham in Premier League was also an away game against Aston Villa on 20 October in a 2–0 win and was voted Man of the Match by Spurs fans. His second appearance for Spurs was against Hull City in a 1–0 win. He also played against Fulham on 4 December and scored a goal from outside the box to make it 1–1; Spurs won the game 2–1.
Chiriches made his debut for the senior team in an UEFA Euro 2012 qualifying match against Luxembourg on 2 September 2011. On 14 August 2013, Chiricheș became the captain of Romania, in the friendly draw 1–1 over Slovakia. His debut as captain in an official match was on 6 September 2013, in a 3–0 victory against Hungary, in a 2014 FIFA World Cup qualifying game.
- As of 3 December 2014
|Pandurii Târgu Jiu||2010–11||24||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||24||0|
- "Premier League Clubs submit Squad Lists" (PDF). Premier League. 4 February 2014. p. 36. Retrieved 19 April 2014.
- "Maghiarii spun că ne-au făcut cine suntem: "Am contribuit decisiv la evoluţia fotbalului românesc!" Patru jucători convocaţi acum de Piţurcă puteau juca pentru Ungaria" (in Romanian). Prosport. 21 March 2013. Retrieved 23 August 2014.
În urmă cu aproape un an, în presa de la Budapesta s-a scris şi despre tentativele eşuate ale ungurilor de a aduce în naţionala lor fotbalişti cu origini maghiare, patru dintre ei fiind în acest moment selecţionaţi de Victor Piţurcă pentru meciul de vineri şi pentru cel de marţi, cu Olanda. Este vorba despre steliştii Vlad Chiricheş, Florin Gardoş şi despre fostul dinamovist Gabriel Tamaş, dar şi de golgheterul lui Angers, Claudiu Keşeru. [Almost a year ago, the Budapest media wrote about the failed Hungarians attempts to take players of Hungarian origin to their national team, four of them currently selected by Victor Piturca for Friday's match and the one on Tuesday against Netherlands. These are Steaua players Vlad Chiriches and Florin Gardos, former Dinamo player Gabriel Tamas, and goalgetter of Angers, Claudiu Keserü.]
- "Sky Sports Scout – Vlad Chiriches". Sky Sports. 15 November 2012. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- "Nou promovata lui Ştefan Stoica a pornit la drum în Liga 1: FC Internaţional a început pregătirile". Gazeta Sporturilor (in Romanian). 22 June 2009.
- "Ionuţ Badea a ales 15 jucători de la Inter pentru lotul Pandurilor". Gazeta Sporturilor (in Romanian). 21 July 2010.
- "Povestea celui mai scump transfer din liga 1". Gazeta Sporturilor. 25 August 2013. Retrieved 25 August 2013.
- "Chiricheş a semnat cu Steaua, dar vine la iarnă". Gazeta Sporturilor (in Romanian). 3 August 2011.
- "Steaua pays 1.2 million euros for Chiriches". Gazeta Sporturilor. 6 August 2013. Retrieved 25 August 2013.
- "Chiricheş stunner helps Steaua sink Molde". UEFA.com. UEFA. 25 October 2012.
- "Latovlevici shines as Steaua beat Ajax on penalties". UEFA. 21 February 2013.
- "Blues edge through, Ajax outed on penalties". FIFA.com. FIFA. 21 February 2013.
- "Torres on target as Chelsea sneak past Steaua". UEFA. 14 March 2013.
- "Tottenham agree price for Chiriches". FIFA.com. FIFA. 25 August 2013.
- "Spurs announce Vlad Chiriches signing". ESPN FC. ESPN. 30 August 2013.
- "Chiriches transfer agreed". TottenhamHotspur.com. Tottenham Hotspur FC. 30 August 2013. Retrieved 30 August 2013.
- "Chiriches voted Man of the Match". @SpursOfficial. Twitter. 20 October 2013. Retrieved 20 October 2013.
- Cryer, Andy. "Fulham 1–2 Tottenham Hotspur". BBC Sport (BBC). Retrieved 5 December 2013.
- "Torje double keeps Romania in touch". UEFA.com. 2 September 2011.
- "Vlad Chiriches". TottenhamHotspur.com. Tottenham Hotspur FC. Retrieved 27 September 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vlad Chiricheș.|
- Vlad Chiriches TottenhamHotspur.com
- 21 Vlad Chiriches SteauaFC.com (Romanian)
- Profile of Vlad Chiricheș RomanianSoccer.ro
- Profile - Vlad Chiriches UEFA.com
- Vlad Chiricheș career stats at Soccerbase