Vladimir Yevgenyevich Churov (Russian: Владимир Евгеньевич Чуров; born March 17, 1953, in Leningrad, Soviet Union) is a Russian official and politician. Since March 26, 2007, he has been a member (delegated by the State Duma) and the Chairman of the Central Election Commission of Russia.
In 1977 he graduated from the Department of Physics at Leningrad State University.
In 1992–2003 he worked on the Committee for External Relations of the Saint Petersburg Mayor's Office, in 1992–1996 under Vladimir Putin, in 1995–2003 as a deputy head of the Committee. According to Marina Salye, Churov worked for KGB.
On January 30, 2007, amendments to the Russian election legislation, which would allow people without a law degree to become members of the Central Election Commission, were passed by the President of Russia. This enabled Churov to be elected to the Commission.
In the Russian legislative election, 2011, Churov maintained that the elections were free of falsifications, although the media reported a number of instances when the data of Central Election Commission of Russia differed with the protocols of election districts. One of the demands during the 2011 Russian protests was the resignation of Churov.
- Становление оппозиции — наш гражданский долг, Марина Салье, Радио Свобода, 7 января 2012 г.
- Федеральный закон Российской Федерации от 30 января 2007 г. N 6-ФЗ О внесении изменения в статью 21 Федерального закона "Об основных гарантиях избирательных прав и права на участие в референдуме граждан Российской Федерации". rg.ru. 2 February 2007
- Центризбирком открыт для опытных неюристов by Syuzanna Farizova, Viktor Khamrayev, Irina Nagornykh. Kommersant, January 20, 2007.
- "Выборы-2011: коллекция нарушений". Forbes (in Russian). December 5, 2011.
- Russian election protests – follow live updates, Guardian, retrieved 10/12/2011
- Biography, Lenta.ru (in Russian)
- Interview with Vladimir Churov, Kommersant, April 9, 2007. (in Russian)
- Vladimir Churov at Armen Oganesyan's talkshow "Vis-a-Vis with the World" (in English)
- Vladimir Churov at Armen Oganesyan's talkshow "Vis-a-Vis with the World" (in Russian)
|Chairman of the Central Election Commission of Russia
March 26, 2007–present