|Vladimir Afanasyevich Kasatonov|
July 21, 1910|
|Died||June 9, 1989
|Years of service||1927-1989|
|Commands held||Baltic Fleet, Black Sea Fleet, Northern Fleet|
|Battles/wars||World War II|
Vladimir Afanasyevich Kasatonov (Russian: Владимир Афанасьевич Касатонов) (July 8(21), 1910 - June 9, 1989) was a Soviet military leader, fleet admiral, and Hero of the Soviet Union (November 25, 1966).
Kasatonov finished the M.V. Frunze Higher Naval School in 1931 and served in the Baltic Fleet as a submariner. During the early part of World War II he was Chief of Staff of the Baltic Fleet's submarine division. Later in the war he joined the Naval General Staff, Operations Division.
In 1949 he was Deputy Commander of the Pacific Fleet, In 1953 he was Commander of the Baltic Fleet and in 1955 he became Commander of the Black Sea Fleet. In 1962 he became Commander of the Northern Fleet. In 1964 he became Deputy Commander of the Soviet Navy. In 1966, as senior commander he participated in the circumnaviation of a squadron of nuclear submarines from the Northern Fleet to the Pacific Fleet and was awarded the Hero of the Soviet Union for this endeavour.
Vladimir Kasatonov was awarded three Orders of Lenin, the Order of the Red Banner, the Order of Nakhimov (2nd Class), the Order of the Patriotic War (1st Class), two Orders of the Red Star, two Orders of the Red Banner of Labor, and numerous medals.
Vladimir Kasatonov's son, Igor Vladimirovich Kasatonov followed in his father's footsteps, holding virtually all of his father's positions. He retired as 1st Deputy Commander-in-Chief of the Russian Navy.
Honours and awards
- Hero of the Soviet Union (25 November 1966)
- Order of Lenin, three times (1953, 20 July 1960 and 25 November 1966)
- Order of the Red Banner, twice (1947 and 1972)
- Order of the October Revolution (18 July 1980)
- Order of Nakhimov, 2nd class (8 July 1945)
- Order of the Patriotic War, 1st class, twice (1946 and 11 March 1985)
- Order of the Red Banner of Labour, twice (1963 and 20 July 1970)
- Order of the Red Star, twice (1943 and 3 November 1944)
- Order for Service to the Homeland in the Armed Forces of the USSR, 3rd class
- Jubilee Medal "In Commemoration of the 100th Anniversary since the Birth of Vladimir Il'ich Lenin"
- Medal "For the Victory over Germany in the Great Patriotic War 1941–1945"
- Jubilee Medal "Twenty Years of Victory in the Great Patriotic War 1941-1945"
- Jubilee Medal "XX Years of the Workers' and Peasants' Red Army"
- Jubilee Medal "30 Years of the Soviet Army and Navy"
- Jubilee Medal "40 Years of the Armed Forces of the USSR"
- Jubilee Medal "50 Years of the Armed Forces of the USSR"
- Order of the Red Banner (Mongolia)
, three times