Vladimir Nikolayevich Myasishchev
|This article relies on references to primary sources. (February 2011)|
10 July 1893|
Friedrichstadt, Governorate of Livonia, Russian Empire
|Died||4 October 1973
Leningrad, Soviet Union
Saint Petersburg Psychoneurological Institute
|Alma mater||Saint Petersburg Psychoneurological Institute|
Aleksandr Fedorovich Lazurskiy (ru)
Myasishchev was born in Latvia. He studied at the medical faculty of Saint Petersburg Psychoneurological Institute and graduated from it in 1919. Director of the Psychoneurological Institute in 1939-1961. In 1945-1973 professor of Leningrad University, where he was instrumental in establishing the Faculty of Psychology.
In 1914 Myasishchev published his first scientific article. He researched microstructural changes to brain tissue accompanied by functional impairment of its activity. His research encompasses problems of Psychopathology, Clinical Psychophysiology and Medical Psychology. Proposed the term "systemic neuroses" describing diseases conditioned by reactive psychogenetic factors to which the patient's personality reacts with disturbances that are fixated and intensified in the future. Researched borderline states and their treatment, sought to distinguish them from neuroses, studied the problem of norm, psychosomatic health and its restoration.
In 1921 he contributed towards the First Conference on Scientific Organization of Labour, where he rejected Frederick Taylor's proposal to turn man into a machine. Dull monotonous work was a temporary necessity until a corresponding machine can be developed.
In 1948 posed the problem of relations as conscious selective contacts of a person with the material and social milieu determining the person's mental characteristics and qualities and actualizing it the person's activity. In 1960 he developed common works of relations problem. Relationship Psychology deals with conscious attitude of a person towards his environment and himself ensuring synthetic and dynamic understanding of personality as oneness of subject and object.
- Myasishchev, V. N. (1960). Personality and Neuroses.
- Myasishchev, V. N. Psychological Attributes of Personality" (Volume I, "Character", and Volume II, "Abilities") (in collab. with A. Kovalyov), 1957-1960.
- Myasishchev, V. N. (1966). Introduction to Medical Psychology.
- Вассерман, Л. И., Иовлев, Б. В., Карвасарский, Б. Д., Карпова, Э. Б. В. Н. Мясищев и медицинская психология (к 110-летию со дня рождения и 30-летию со дня смерти)// «Обозрение психиатрии и медицинской психологии», 2004, Т. 1, № 1. (idem)
- Левченко, Е.В. М.Я. Басов и В.Н. Мясищев: общность судеб, близость идей// «Обозрение психиатрии и медицинской психологии», 2005, № 2.
- Myasishchev Vladimir Nikolaevich at encspb.ru
- Myasishchev V.N. at hilarygray.btinternet.co.uk
- V.N. Myasischev at bekhterev.spb.ru (English)