|Date of birth||15 August 1963|
|Place of birth||Sarajevo, SFR Yugoslavia|
|Current club||Lazio (manager)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
† Appearances (Goals).
Vladimir Petković (Croatian pronunciation: [ʋlǎdimiːr pêtkɔʋit͡ɕ]; born 15 August 1963) is a Bosnian Croat and Swiss football manager and former professional player. Petković is the current manager of Italian Serie A club Lazio.
Petković was born in Sarajevo in 1963. He is a Bosnian Croat and holds Swiss, Croatian, and Bosnian passports. Both of his parents worked as educational workers so they changed many schools and because of that family moved frequently. First they lived in Vrelo Bosne and then, from when he was 5 years old, in Hadžići near Sarajevo.
He remained at FK Sarajevo and began his professional career there in the early 1980s. Petković made only a handful of appearances in a strong Sarajevo side led on the pitch by Bosnia's greatest ever player, Safet Sušić. Petković was a part of the Sarajevo side that won the 1984–85 Yugoslav First League, making only two league appearances for them. His time at Sarajevo was interrupted by two brief stints elsewhere, first a successful time with Rudar Prijedor, where Petković found a vein of scoring form, and then a season in the Yugoslav Second League with Slovenian side Koper, who finished last and were relegated.
Petković emigrated from Yugoslavia in 1987, leaving FK Sarajevo and moving permanently to Switzerland, where he joined second division club FC Chur 97. After a season with Chur, Petković moved to the Swiss top division, joining a strong FC Sion side. Sion managed a third-place finish in the Nationalliga but Petković left the club at the end of the season after only managing six league appearances.
After leaving Sion, Petković moved back into the lower tiers, first joining FC Martigny-Sports before returning to his first Swiss club, Chur. Petković enjoyed a career as a regular goalscoring midfielder in the Swiss second division, including two more stints at Bellinzona and Lugano.
Petković completed his playing career as a player-coach with Bellinzona and Malcantone Agno, the latter which later merged with financially stricken Lugano.
After his retirement from playing, he became a coach and his first job was player-manager at AC Bellinzona in 1997. In 2004, he took over the reins at Lugano before returning to Bellinzona for the fourth time in his career, where he led the club to the 2008 Swiss Cup final, only to lose out to FC Basel, and promotion to the Swiss Super League. At the beginning of the 2008–09 season, he was appointed as manager of Young Boys. After taking charge at the club, Petković installed a 3–4–3 formation and took his Bern side to a second-placed league finish. After two more seasons with Young Boys, he was sacked after a 1–1 draw against Luzern on 7 May 2011. The club placed a distant third in the league behind their rivals Zürich and Basel.
In 2011, he became new manager of Turkish side Samsunspor. He resigned from that position in January 2012 with the club in the relegation zone. On 15 May 2012 he was named the new temporary manager of Sion until the end of the 2011–12 season.
- As of 8 December 2013.
|Bellinzona||October 2005||June 2008||97||56||21||20||57.73|
|Young Boys||August 2008||8 May 2011||131||78||21||32||59.54|
|Samsunspor||1 July 2011||27 January 2012||22||4||7||11||18.18|
|Sion||15 May 2012||June 2012||4||1||0||3||25.00|
|Lazio||2 June 2012||Present||76||37||20||19||48.68|
- Malcantone Agno
- 1. Liga (1): 2002–03
- Vladimir Petković UEFA Profile
- Petkovic torna a Roma. Conferenza stampa fra 2 giorni a Formello
- UEFA.com: Vladimir Petković
- Tagesanzeiger.ch: «Die Berner denken zu oft ans Verlieren»:Ich bin Schweizer und bosnischer Kroate aus Sarajevo.
- Kicker.de: Vladimir Petkovic
- Ilmessaggero.it: Petkovic, in testa solo la Lazio Il tecnico ha lasciato la famiglia in Svizzera per evitare ogni distrazione: In realtà, per non rimanere tanto lontani al famoso film dove ci sono due mostri sacri come De Sica e la Lollo (Pane, amore e fantasia ndc), a lui molto caro secondo alcuni amici, in questo uomo croato tutto d’un pezzo c’è tanta fantasia e soprattutto tantissimo amore per la sua famiglia.
- Petkovic wird neuer Sion-Trainer!: Mit YB wurde der Staatsbürger von Kroatien und der Schweiz zweimal Vize-Meister und verlor 2009 mit den Bernern den Cupfinal - gegen Sion.
- Mourinho sa Ilidže
- "Samsunspor'da Mesut Bakkal dönemi" (in Turkish). NTVSpor.net. Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- Vladimir Petkovic ist der neue Trainer des FC Sion
- FIFA: Lazio appoint Petkovic as coach
- Caritas-ticino.ch: Auguri a Vladimir Petkovic
- BBC Sport: Tottenham and Lazio united by fondness for former star Gazza
- Croatia.ch: Vladimir Petković, trener BSC Young Boys-a