Vladimir M. Shalaev (Purdue University. He specializes in metamaterials, transformation optics, nanophotonics and plasmonics. He made pioneering contributions to the optics of fractal and percolation composites, their applications for Surface Enhanced Raman Spectroscopy (SERS), and to the field of optical metamaterials, including first experimental observation (collectively with his research team at Purdue University) of negative refractive index in the optical range  (This work was ranked in the top 50 innovations in nanotechnology in 2006 by Nanotech Briefs ) and magnetism across the entire visible range .18 February 1957), is the Robert and Anne Burnett Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering and Professor of Biomedical Engineering at
Prof. V. Shalaev received several awards for his research in the field of nanophotonics and metamaterials. He is a Fellow of the American Physical Society (APS), of The International Society for Optical Engineering (SPIE), and of the Optical Society of America (OSA). Prof. Shalaev is a Co-/Editor for five books in the area of nano-optics and an Editorial Board Member for a number of research journals. He co-/authored two books, twenty invited book contributions, and about 300 research publications. One of the books, Electrodynamics of Metamaterials (World Scientific Publishing, 2007, ISBN 978-981-279-099-6), is authoritative in the field of plasmonic nanostructure research. He is also on the editorial board of the peer reviewed journal Metamaterials, along with a number of other notable board members who have significantly contributed to metamaterial research.
- Willis E. Lamb Award for Laser Science and Quantum Optics (2010)
- Max Born Award of the Optical Society of America (2010)
- "Electrodynamics of Metamaterials [eBook]". http://ebooks.worldscinet.com. Retrieved 2 September 2011.
- Lapine, Mikhail, Coordinating Editor (2010), "Coordinating Editor, Editing board, and Adviosry board", Metamaterials (journal): 01, retrieved 2010-03-16
- "Max Born Award". Optical Society. Retrieved September 2, 2011.
- A collection of over 50 references to articles in open, general-interest- and science-and-technology-oriented press devoted to research led by Prof. V. Shalaev and his team can be found here.
- Prof. V. Shalaev’s Purdue University Faculty page
- Prof. V. Shalaev's homepage
- Homepage of Prof. Shalaev's research group at Purdue University