|Established||1 January 1985|
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Aaltina Evenhuis (VVD)|
|• Total||56.51 km2 (21.82 sq mi)|
|• Land||53.71 km2 (20.74 sq mi)|
|• Water||2.80 km2 (1.08 sq mi)|
|Elevation||0 m (0 ft)|
|Population (August 2013)|
|• Density||181/km2 (470/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Vlist ( pronunciation (help·info)) is a village and municipality in the western Netherlands, in the province of South Holland. The municipality covers an area of 56.51 km2 (21.82 sq mi) of which 2.80 km2 (1.08 sq mi) is water. It had a population of 9,732 in 2013.
On 1 January 1985, the municipalities of Haastrecht, Stolwijk, and Vlist were merged and the new municipality was named after the little river Vlist.
The Vlist is a river in South Holland which runs from Schoonhoven to Haastrecht where it empties into the Hollandsche IJssel. It passes Schoonhoven, Bonrepas, Vlist and Haastrecht. The river stretches as the crow flies about 10 kilometres (6 miles). The Vlist is a bog river and was formerly used as a basin for polders around the river; there were a lot of windmills on the banks of the river for pumping water. Previously, the Vlist was used for the transport of goods, particularly from Schoonhoven to Utrecht. Today the river has a tourist function. In particular cyclists and pedestrians use the area for their tours. In the summer the roads beside the Vlist are filled with cyclists and hikers. The river itself is often navigated with canoes which can be hired in Haastrecht. In the winter when the river is frozen, the Two Provinces trip is organized for the ice-skate enthusiasts. Famously, along this river (at Bonrepas) Wilhelmina of Prussia, wife of William V, was stopped on June 28, 1787 by patriots from Gouda and then brought to a farm on the Goejanverwelle Lock.
Twin towns - Sister cities
Vlist is twinned with:
- "mw. A.Z. Evenhuis (Aaltina)" [Mrs. A.Z. Evenhuis (Aaltina)] (in Dutch). Gemeente Vlist. Retrieved 25 August 2013.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 11 July 2013.
- "Postcodetool for 2821AS". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 25 August 2013.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 24 September 2013. Retrieved 29 September 2013.
- "Bač". Skgo.org. Retrieved 2010-03-02.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vlist.|