A vodka martini, also known as a vodkatini or kangaroo cocktail, is a cocktail made with vodka and vermouth, a variation of a martini.
A vodka martini is made by combining vodka, dry vermouth, and ice in a cocktail shaker or mixing glass. The ingredients are chilled, either by stirring or shaking, then strained and served "straight up" (without ice) in a chilled cocktail glass. The drink may be garnished with an olive, a "twist" (a strip of lemon peel squeezed or twisted), capers, or cocktail onions (with the onion garnish specifically yielding a vodka Gibson).
James Bond famously drinks a "Vodka Martini, shaken not stirred."
The vodka martini has become a common and popular cocktail, but some purists maintain that while it is a perfectly fine drink, it isn't a martini unless made with gin.
- ^ Heugel, Bobby. "Bobby Heugel's Weekly Cocktail: The Kangaroo Cocktail". Retrieved 6 September 2012.
- ^ a b Cocktails a Complete Guide to Bartending with Over 500 Cocktail Recipes. Boston: MobileReference.com. 2007. ISBN 1605011045.
- ^ Wonderich, David, "Vodka Martini - The Wonderich Take", Esquire
- ^ Buffo, Peter (May 2004). "That martini mystique". Orange Coast: 174.
- ^ Bosker, Gideon; Karen Brooks and Damon Reed (1998). Atomic Cocktails: Mixed Drinks for Modern Times. Chronicle Books. p. 90. ISBN 0811819264.
- ^ Felten, Eric (2007). How's Your Drink?: Cocktails, Culture, and the Art of Drinking Well. Agate Publishing. p. 41. ISBN 1572840897.
- ^ Axelrod, Alan (2002). The Pocket Idiot's Guide to Bartending. Penguin. p. 57. ISBN 1101221852.