|This article relies largely or entirely upon a single source. (September 2011)|
|Initial release||December 4, 2009|
|Operating system||Windows XP/Vista/7/8|
|Type||Speech Synthesizer Application|
Voiceroid is a speech synthesizer application developed by AH Software and is designed for speech. It is only available in the Japanese language. Its name comes from the singing software Vocaloid, for which AH-Software also develops voicebanks. Both AH-Software's Vocaloids and Voiceroids went on sale on December 4, 2009.
Voiceroid uses an engine called AITalk developed by AI Inc. The user is able to adjust the tempo, pitch, and intonation to make the program sound more natural. The original two products Tsukuyomi Shouta and Tsukuyomi Ai were packaged with the animating software, Crazy Talk SE.
On October 22, 2010, a new version of the engine was introduced known as, Voiceroid+. The first of this new engine featured a character from the children's anime Eagle Talon, known as Yoshida-kun. Much like Shouta & Ai, he is aimed at young audiences.
The first three Voiceroids were targeted at younger audiences, so they were subject to censorship, and inappropriate words were filtered out. However, Maki Tsurumaki was designed specifically for a more older audience and is the first of the series to have no form of censorship.
Yuzuki Yukari is also the first Vocaloid to have a Voiceroid voicebank as well as a Vocaloid voicebank.
For Tohoku Zunko's release the software has been vastly improved compared to previous Voiceroid+ voices. Like Yuzuki Yukari, she is due for a Vocaloid3 release.
- Tsukuyomi Shouta: Was designed to be based on a seven year old male. Release date: December 4, 2009
- Tsukuyomi Ai: Was designed to be a five year old female and Shouta's "sister" product. Release date: December 4, 2009
- Yoshida-Kun: Was based on the character of the same name from the TV show Eagle Talon. Release date: October 22, 2010.
- Maki: A teenage female. Release date: November 12, 2010. She is the first (and so far the only) Voiceroid to not contain censorship of curse words.
- Yuzuki Yukari: The first Vocaloid to also have a Voiceroid library. She has several new expressions. Release date: December 22, 2011
- Tohoku Zunko: A teenage female. She was originally created to help promote the recovery of the Tohoku region. Her character design is based on a zundamochi, a Tohoku specialty. Release date: September 28, 2012. She will receive a Vocaloid3 voicebank in early 2014.
- Official Website (Japanese)