|Studio album by Belinda Carlisle|
|Released||February 5, 2007 (Europe)
February 6, 2007 (N. America)
|Belinda Carlisle chronology|
|Singles from Voila|
|The Boston Phoenix|||
Voila is the seventh studio album by the American singer Belinda Carlisle, released in 2007. It was Carlisle's first studio album in over a decade, and is a covers album of "classic French chansons and pop standards", much different from Carlisle's previous English language pop records. The album was critically praised however did sell moderately. Although all of the songs are sung in French, many of the musicians featured on the album are Irish. The English musician Brian Eno also performs keyboards on the album.
In an October 2006 press release describing the album, Carlisle said "After I moved to France, I became familiar with the classic French chansons and a lot of French pop music. I realized there was a whole world of artists and singers I was not familiar with. As I discovered all these amazing songs, I came to love this music and wanted to record some of them with a playful, contemporary feel."
Describing how music can transcend any language barrier Carlisle stated, "You don't really have to know what's being sung to know that 'Avec Les Temps' [sic] is a devastating love song. When I heard that song the first time, it broke my heart."
Upon the album's initial release, a limited edition version was available with a bonus second CD featuring four additional tracks sung in English. Despite the favourable reviews, Allmusic wrote "... not just a rewarding detour but one of her best album", in the US, the album sold a modest 3,000 copies in its first two weeks.
|1.||"Ma jeunesse fout le camp"||Guy Bontempelli||3:16|
|2.||"Bonnie et Clyde"||Serge Gainsbourg||5:15|
|3.||"Avec le temps"||Léo Ferré||4:06|
|4.||"Sous le ciel de Paris"||Hubert Giraud, Jean Drejac||4:42|
|5.||"Des ronds dans l'eau"||Pierre Barouh, Raymond Lesenechal||2:55|
|6.||"Pourtant tu m'aimes"||Françoise Hardy, Jimmy Cross, Johnny Cole||3:27|
|7.||"Ne me quitte pas"||Jacques Brel||3:17|
|8.||"La Vie en rose"||Édith Piaf, Louis Guglielmi||4:23|
|10.||"Merci Chérie"||Udo Jürgens, Thomas Horbiger, Baker Cavendish||3:34|
|Limited edition bonus disc|
|1.||"I Still Love Him"||Jimmy Cross, Johnny Cole||3:26|
|2.||"La Vie en rose" (English version)||Piaf, Guglielmi, Mack David||4:22|
|3.||"Bonnie and Clyde"||Gainsbourg||5:14|
|4.||"If You Go Away"||Brel, Rod McKuen||3:17|
- Belinda Carlisle - vocals
- Natacha Atlas - additional vocals on "Ma jeunesse fout le camp", "La Vie en rose", "Bonnie et Clyde" and "Des ronds dans l'eau"
- Brian Eno - keyboards
- Sagat Guirey - Flamenco guitar
- Graham Henderson - accordion
- Winnie Horan - violins
- Clare Kenny - bass guitar
- Fiachna Ó Braonáin - guitars and vocals, male vocal on "Bonnie et Clyde"
- John Reynolds: drums, programming
- Nicki Leighton-Thomas - backing vocals
- Pauline Scanlon - backing Vocals
- Sharon Shannon - button accordion
- Julian Wilson - piano, Hammond B-3, strings, keyboards
- John Reynolds - Producer
- Allmusic review
- The Boston Phoenix review
- Entertainment Weekly review
- The Times review[dead link]
- "Billboard Bits: Paul McCartney, Family Values, Belinda Carlisle". Billboard.com. October 10, 2006. Retrieved 2012-03-13.
- "Belinda Carlisle - Newsarchive". Belindacarlisle.50webs.com. post of 16 November 2006. Retrieved July 2, 2010. Check date values in:
- "Ask Billboard". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2012-03-13.