|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2014)|
Volcano High promotional movie poster
|Directed by||Kim Tae-gyun|
|Produced by||Cha Seung-jae|
|Written by||Kim Tae-gyun
|Music by||Park Young|
|Edited by||Ko Im-pyo|
|Distributed by||Cinema Service|
It revolves around a troublemaking high school student named Kim Kyung-soo (portrayed by Jang Hyuk) who finds himself transferred to the last school that will take him, the prestigious Volcano High, an institution whose students display an incredible talent in martial arts, with a few demonstrating even more mysterious psychic powers. Kyung-soo is drawn into fights between different clubs, a manuscript that is told to hold great power, and a group of teachers that will do whatever possible to keep the students in line.
17 years of feuding, sparked by the Great Teacher's Battle, has stripped authorities of their power, as self-indulgence, disguised as self-control, grips the student body. The schools have fallen into disarray. However, there is a legend. The one who acquires the Secret Manuscript will end the chaos. It is a legend that disrupts the Martial Court of Volcano High. Now, in the 108th year of Volcano...
Cast and characters
- Jang Hyuk as Kim Kyung-soo: Main character whose powers caused him to get kicked out of school. Volcano High is the last school that will accept him and he's determined to graduate. Kyung-soo has a history with Mr. Ma and was reluctant to use his powers to help the students out with their struggle to find the manuscript, fearing expulsion and shaming his family.
- Shin Min-a as Yoo Chae-yi: Nicknamed and described as "Icy Jade." Captain of the kendo team and love interest of Kyung-soo.
- Kim Su-ro as Jang Ryang: Nicknamed "Dark Ox." Leader of the Dark Oxen and captain of the weightlifting team. One of the most powerful and feared fighters at Volcano High. He helps the vice principal Hak-sa frame and imprison Hak-rim for stealing the manuscript so he can take control of the school. Ryang is in love with Chae-yi and wants her to be his queen. He despises Kyung-soo, seeing that he's much stronger in a fight than Ryang himself.
- Kwon Sang-woo as Song Hak-rim: Described as "Elegant Crane in a Pine Forest." The most powerful martial artist in Volcano High. He is imprisoned after being framed by Jang Ryang for trying to steal the manuscript. Realizing that Kyung-soo is Volcano High's only hope, Hak-rim trains him.
- Gong Hyo-jin as So Yo-seon: Described as "Single Hearted." Co-captain of the kendo team and admirer of Song Hak-rim. She was the first to believe that he was framed and that Jang Ryang was involved.
- Kim Hyeong-jong as Shimma: Captain of the rugby team. Befriends Kyung-soo.
- Heo Joon-ho as Mr. Ma: Leader of the 5 Teachers who are sent to discipline the students. He has a history with Kyung-soo and is the secondary antagonist.
- Byun Hee-bong as Vice Principal Jang Hak-sa: The main antagonist in Volcano High. Angry due to the fact he isn't the principal and in spite of his own fears of Jang Ryang, Hak-sa enlisted his help to frame Hak-rim for stealing the manuscript and he can be imprisoned. When Hak-sa realizes the Dark Oxen has taken control of Volcano High, he enlists the help of the 5 Teachers to discipline the students.
- Jung Sang-hoon as Golbangi/Woo-ping: a member of the Dark Oxen who befriends Kyung-soo. He warns him of Chae-yi's reputation as Icy Jade when Kyung-soo accidentally spilled a bucket of water on her. Golbangi often plays masseuse to Ryang.
The movie released different soundtracks in South Korea, in Japan and in the US. The original Korean soundtrack was scored by Park Young and features mostly rock music, including two songs from Korean nu metal band R.F. Children. The Japanese soundtrack was written by Daita (former guitarist of Siam Shade), and is similar in style, with rock music. The US version is a completely altered version from the original featuring hip hop music.
- Andre 3000 as Kim Kyung-soo
- Lil' Jon as Jang Ryang
- Mya as Yoo Chae-yi (renamed Jade)
- Snoop Dogg as Song Hak-rim
- Method Man as Mr. Ma
- Pat Morita as Vice Principal Jang Hak-sa (renamed Ko)
- Big Boi as Shimma
- Kelis as So Yo-seon (renamed Song)
- Tracy Morgan as Woo-ping
Differences Between the Korean and American versions
|Nearly 30 minutes edited out with scenes rearranged to a running time of nearly 80 minutes.||The movie is much longer with 122 minutes.|
|Song Hak-rim is imprisoned because Jang Ryang framed him for trying to poison the principal.||Song Hak-rim is imprisoned because Jang Ryang framed him for trying to steal the manuscript.|
|The main plot involves 5 teachers who are sent to discipline the students.||While this plot is still in the Korean version, the main plot is actually about a manuscript that is told to hold great power. Many want to know its location while the 5 teacher plot is actually a subplot.|
|Kyung-soo is portrayed as a daydreamer and his recurring dream is about a girl whom he meets in the forest.||This girl is actually Shimma's fraternal twin sister and she sends him into the forest to seduce him to play rugby.|
|So Yo-seon is Song Hak-rim's girlfriend.||So Yo-seon merely admires Hak-rim from a distance while writing letters he would never get to read.|
|Jang Ryang and Yoo Chae-yi used to date, but Chae-yi dumped him and Ryang hopes to get back together.||The two were never together and Jang Ryang only confessed his feelings for her.|
|The music featured is popular hip hop released around the time this version came out.||The music is mostly rock.|
|Volcano High is said to be located in the mountains of Kim Tae-gyun||The location of Volcano High is never revealed and there is no such mountain called Kim Tae-gyun. This is actually the name of the director.|
|Kyung-soo willingly gives up his endurance contest with Jang Ryang and accidentally loses his fight with Jang Ryang||Kyung-soo remembers his mother, father, and sister telling him to restrain himself during both of these incidents.|
- "The Best Selling Films of 2001". Koreanfilm.org. Retrieved 13 October 2014.