Volgograd International Airport
|Volgograd International Airport
Международный Аэропорт Волгоград
|Operator||JSC "Volgograd International Airport"|
|Elevation AMSL||482 ft / 147 m|
Volgograd International Airport (Russian: Международный Аэропорт Волгоград) (IATA: VOG, ICAO: URWW) is an airport in Russia located 15 km northwest of Volgograd. It comprises a civilian airport built on top of an older military runway (3300 m), now demolished. The terminal area parks 42 medium/large aircraft and 91 small aircraft.
A military training unit was present at Gumrak as late as 1994, the 706 UAP (706th Aviation Training Regiment), using Aero L-39 aircraft. Volgograd Airport served as base for Air Volga. When the airline went bankrupt in April 2010, its aircraft and most of the routes were taken over by RusLine.
Battle of Stalingrad
The airport, then named Gumrak Airport, was used by the German 6th Army as fuel and supply depot (alongside with Pitomnik Airfield) during the Battle of Stalingrad in 1942/43. After the fall of Pitomnik on 17 January 1943, Gumrak was the only one of seven airfields around Stalingrad still in German hands. On 22 January, a last He 111 aircraft left the airfield with 19 wounded soldiers, the last flight out of Stalingrad for the 6th Army. Gumrak eventually was recaptured on 23 January, leaving the 6th Army without any means of direct support.
Airlines and destinations
operated by Dobrolet
operated by Donavia
|Astra Airlines||Seasonal charter: Thessaloniki|
|Ellinair||Seasonal: Thessaloniki (begins 24 May 2015)
Seasonal charter: Corfu
|Orenair||Seasonal charter: Antalya|
|Pobeda||Seasonal: Sochi (begins 27 May 2015)|
|RusLine||Krasnodar, Moscow-Domodedovo, Rostov-on-Don, Surgut, Saint Petersburg, Yerevan|
|Transaero Airlines||Seasonal charter: Paphos|
|Ural Airlines||Dushanbe, Saint Petersburg|
|UTair Aviation||Moscow-Vnukovo, Perm, Surgut|
|Uzbekistan Airways||Tashkent, Urgench|
- The Great Patriotic War - 1943 accessed: 9 March 2009
- Hitler's War on Russia Google book review, author: Charles Winchester, publisher: Osprey Publisjing, page: 111, accessed: 10 March 2009
- Das Wolf - Third Reich militaria January 1943, accessed: 9 March 2009
- "Dobrolet Booking". Dobrolet. Retrieved 30 June 2013.
- Pobeda begin new summer seasonal service to Sochi
- "Авиакомпания Узбекистана начинает полёты в Волгоград". CA-NEWS: Central Asian News Service. 21 August 2013. Retrieved 21 August 2013.