|Manufacturer||Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles|
|Also called||Volkswagen Robust Pick-Up (concept)|
Hannover, Germany (Jun 2011–present)
|Designer||Walter de Silva|
|Body and chassis|
|Class||Light commercial vehicle|
|Body style||2-door single cab pickup truck
4-door double cab pickup truck
|Layout||Front engine, rear-wheel drive or
4motion four-wheel drive
|Engine||2.0 I4 FSI turbocharged petrol
2.0 I4 TDI CR 03L diesel
|Wheelbase||3,095 mm (121.9 in)|
|Length||5,254 mm (206.9 in)
Extended Bed 5,900 mm (232.3 in)
|Width||Double Cab 1,944 mm (76.5 in)
Double Cab Highline 1,954 mm (76.9 in)
|Height||1,834 mm (72.2 in)|
The Volkswagen Amarok is a mid-size pickup truck built by Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles (VWCV). The Amarok range consists of single cab and double cab, combined with either rear-wheel drive or 4motion four-wheel drive, and is powered by turbocharged gasoline or Turbocharged Direct Injection (TDI) diesel engines. VWCV considers the Toyota Hilux, Nissan Navara and Mitsubishi Triton to be Amarok competitors, although it is bigger in size.
- 1 History
- 2 Engines
- 3 Production sites and figures
- 4 Warranty Issues
- 5 Availability
- 6 Model lines
- 7 Platform variants
- 8 Amarok Owners Club
- 9 Amarok and Scorpions
- 10 Awards
- 11 Search and Rescue Pickup concept
- 12 References
- 13 External links
In 2005, Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles announced their intent to build the Robust Pick-Up and off road family of vehicles.
In 2007, automotive website WorldCarFans.com published the first photos captured by RoAnSa Carspy Photography of the development mule of the Robust Pick Up concept vehicle wearing Toyota Hilux sheetmetal on a Volkswagen-developed chassis.
In September 2008, Volkswagen released the Robust Pick Up concept in a Search and Rescue (SAR) vehicle color scheme; the design is said to be 95% a production version.
In November 2010, the Amarok was awarded 4 stars from Euro NCAP under the 2010/2011 standard crash testing procedure. In February 2011, it received 5 stars from the Australasian New Car Assessment Program (ANCAP).
Revealed to the public on 4 June 2009, "Amarok" means "wolf" in Inuit, and Interbrand also claims it is associated with "he loves stones" in Romance languages. It also resembles "tomorrow" in Irish. It is also the title of a 1990 record album by musician Mike Oldfield, a 2000 album of the German black metal solo project Nargaroth, and the name of an open-source music player (version 1.0 in 2004).
Volkswagen's association with 'Wolf' is referenced on many of its vehicles. Up until the 1980s, the 'Wolfsburg Crest', in various guises, was displayed on VW products, the most famous being the Type 1. Up until 1964, the Wolfsburg crest badge was placed on the bonnet. The crest also appeared on the steering wheel hubs on many models. The Lupo (Italian for Wolf) was named in honour of Wolfsburg, the home of Volkswagen.
As of 2010, the engine range consists of two 2.0L Turbocharged Direct Injection (TDI) common rail diesel engines which is taken from the Volkswagen Transporter (T5), it has been tuned for more torque but less power; the entry-level version produces 90 kW (122 PS; 121 hp) which develops a maximum torque of 340 N·m (250 lb·ft) from 2000 rpm. The top of the line bi-turbo version produces 120 kW (163 PS; 161 hp) which develops a maximum torque of 400 N·m (300 lb·ft) from 1500 rpm.2500
Fuel consumption in a combined cycle format is as low as 7.6 L/100 km (37 mpg-imp; 31 mpg-US) on the rear wheel drive variant to 8.1 L/100 km (35 mpg-imp; 29 mpg-US) on the 4Motion theoretically giving the Amarok a 1,000 km (620 mi) range before filling up for fuel.
As of the 2012 Model Year Volkswagen has introduced two more engine configurations, 2.0L TDI 90 kW motor upgraded to 103 kW of power and a 2.0L Bi-TDI which has an optional 8-speed ZF engineered automatic transmission.
On 22 September 2014 Volkswagen is launching a limited edition Amarok Dark Label model.The new Volkswagen Amarok Dark Label is fitted with the company’s range-topping 178 bhp 2.0-litre BiTDI engine, generating up to 420Nm of torque and offering a maximum towing capacity of up to 3,200 kg.
|2.0 TSI||2011–||I4 16V||1,984 cc (121.1 cu in)||118 kW (160 PS; 158 hp) @ 3800–5500 rpm||300 N·m (220 lb·ft) @ 1600–3750 rpm|
|2.0 TDI (CR) DPF||2010–2011||I4 16V||1,968 cc (120.1 cu in)||90 kW (122 PS; 121 hp) @ 3750 rpm||340 N·m (250 lb·ft) @ 1750–2250 rpm|
|2.0 TDI (CR) DPF||2012-||I4 16V||1,968 cc (120.1 cu in)||103 kW (140 PS; 138 hp) @ 3750 rpm||340 N·m (250 lb·ft) @ 1750–2250 rpm|
|2.0 BiTDI (CR) DPF||2010–||I4 16V||1,968 cc (120.1 cu in)||120 kW (163 PS; 161 hp) @ 4000 rpm||400 N·m (300 lb·ft) @ 1500–2000 rpm|
|2.0 BiTDI (CR) DPF||2012–||I4 16V||1,968 cc (120.1 cu in)||132 kW (179 PS; 177 hp)||420 N·m (310 lb·ft)|
The Amarok has three drive concepts: rear wheel drive, Shiftable 4Motion and Permanent 4Motion. The Shiftable all wheel drive system can shift drive between the axles whereas the Permanent full-time all wheel drive system distributes power through a Torque Sensing (Torsen) differential with a 40:60 ratio between the front and rear axles.
Production sites and figures
It's destined for sale across South America, Australia and New Zealand, as well as Europe.
It is expected to produce 90,000 Amaroks annually once production it is at full capacity.
In September 2010 it was decided by the Volkswagen Group Board of Management that 40,000 Amarok pickups will be built in Hanover, Germany for the European and small volume markets from the middle of 2012.
The 100,000th Amarok was produced on the 8th of October 2011.
Amarok introduced at Taiwan market from 2012 (2.0BiTDI 6MT highline)
- 2009 = 193
- 2010 = 44,525
- 2011 = 25,518 (until May 2011)
The Amarok has not sold well in Australia. This may be due to a lack of models on offer compared to competitors. In 2012, it did not make it into the top ten selling utes in Australia. It was outsold by the Toyta Hilux, Nissan Navara, Mitsubishi Triton and Ford Ranger, among others.
In Australia, in 2013/2014, the rising numbers of issues, including fan belt failures distrusting the timing requiring a new engine/top end rebuild, and driveline failures (mainly differentials and cvs)and electrical issues (canbus playing up, alternator failing etc) have resulted in the Amarok losing much of the reputation it has built up the past couple of years. This is made worse by the fact that Volkswagen is not fixing many of these issues, not under warranty & not even with full payment, meaning several of these utes have been written off over warranty issues and sold for parts, despite some of them being less than a year old. They do not prove to be tough enough to handle the tough markets of Australia as well as its competitors.
Currently[when?] the Amarok is available in South America, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa, Russia as well as the rest of Europe. However, a recent[when?] exodus of other mid-sized pickup lines in North America has created an opening in the market. VW is in talks with Canadian and U.S. dealerships to introduce the pickup to the continent.
While about 1% of vehicles sold in the U.S. are diesel, it's been determined that about 3.5% of Canadians buy diesel vehicles (more than hybrid and electric vehicles). This statistic is achieved with very few diesel options available (particularly in the car and light-truck market). It's estimated that 40% of VW (and 75-80% of Mercedes-Benz) customers will choose diesel when given both options. Canadian customers tend to prefer efficiency and resale value while U.S. customers continue to have a negative impression of diesel engines because of historical experiences with the technology from the 1980s. The company has indicated that they will proceed slowly to evaluate the potential market with a potential entrance coinciding with the newest model of the Amarok.
Three equipment lines will be offered on the Amarok; base version, Trendline and Highline.
The base version comes equipped with 16-inch steel wheels, height-adjustable front seats, variable folding rear bench seats, locking glove box, cargo platform lighting, antenna integrated within wing mirrors, manual window regulators, manual door locking and manual wing mirror adjustment. The front bumper, wing mirrors and door handles come in black.
The Trendline grade has over the base version electrically operated door locking, electric windows and wing mirror adjustment as well as a radio with a CD player, climate control (Climatic), multi-functional display, cruise control, front fog lights, 17-inch aluminium wheels. Also painted in the body colour are the front bumper, door handles and wing mirrors.
The Highline grade has over the Trendline part chrome mirror housings, chrome strips on radiator grille and around the fog lights, chrome rear bumper bar 18-inch aluminium wheels, automatic climate control (Climatronic), leatherette/leather fabric on the interior.
Offers an extended bed with 2.21 meters of space and a slightly longer wheelbase.
- Chassis cab
In 2006 the Australian publication Transport Today reported that Phil Clark, Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles Director in Australia, was trying to persuade Volkswagen's head office to add a chassis cab programme to Project RPU.
Cab Chassis variants of both the Single Cab and Double Cab will launch with the 2012 Model Year range.
- Amarok Sochi Special Edition
This variant will only be available in Russia. It adds extra exterior chrome trim, a navigation system and an updated interior.
- Amarok Polar Expedition
The Polar Expedition variant was designed to promote the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games in the remote areas of Russia. Three of these trucks were built to carry 9 people 9,942 miles east by road from Moscow to the city of Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky on the Kamchatka peninsula. The team of 9 earned the Guinness World Record for the longest off-road journey through one country. The team took 66 days to reach Kamchatka from Moscow by driving over the glacier-covered Sredinny Range and were the first people to do so. The specially built Amaroks received a couple of upgrades to take on the cold and road less wilderness. The team replaced the front and rear suspension with long-travel, heavy-duty shocks and massive tires with deeper ridges for extra traction in deep snow and ice. The body was unmodified except for cutting out the fenders to fit the wheels and tires. The 2.0L turbo diesel engine remained mostly unmodified because the goal was reliability. For added safety, the interior was fitted with a roll cage and navigation equipment to make sure the team didn't get lost.
The Netherlands Ministry of Defence has announced plans to phase out other vehicles, including the Mercedes-Benz G-Wagen, in favour of the Amarok to move to a single type of truck for peacetime operations. The stated aims for this plan are to purchase 1,667 new vehicles for the Army, the Navy, the Air Force, and the Marechaussee.
Amarok Owners Club
The International Amarok Owners Club was started in September 2011  and was part of the VW Amarok Forum, where it was first mentioned in May 2011. The International Amarok Owners Club and VW Amarok Forum have started to created the first ever VW Amarok Modified Project Car as a group.
The first Amarok Owners Club Off-Road weekend is proposed for September 8 & 9 2012, organised by one of the VW Amarok Forum moderators, 'Asher'.
The Amarok Club of Victoria (Australia) was incorporated in July 2013, and was founded to promote 4WD trips and touring in the Amarok. http://www.amarokclub.com.au. The Amarok Club of Victoria is affiliated with Four Wheel Drive Victoria, and is the first Incorporated 4WD Club in Australia dedicated to the Amarok
Amarok and Scorpions
Scorpions' band nucleus, Rudolf Schenker, Klaus Meine and Matthias Jabs are associated since 2009 to the promotion of the Amarok. Rudolf Schenker is the most involved, since his participation in the 2010 Paris-Dakar Rally. Later in 2010, he and the special project division of VW teamed in the design of a unique, custom Amarok, done with the graphics of the Scorpions band and fitted with a 3D, lighted scorpion tail. Rudolf Schenker is featured since November 2010 in numerous blogs and automobile websites with the "Scorpions" Amarok and an equally custom "VW Flying V" guitar built by PGG Guitars in Canada.
- Auto Esporte - Pickup of the Year 2011 (Brazil)
- Safest Pickup 2011
- Auto Test - Cruze, One and Amarok, the best of the year according Auto Test (Argentina)
- Parabrisas - Pickup of the Year 2011 (Argentina)
- MotorTransport - International Pickup Truck of the Year (UK)
- OFF ROAD - Pickup of the Year 2011 (Germany)
- Magazin Jäger - Goldenen Keiler (Golden Boar) Best Hunting Car (Germany)
- ROAD - Russian Automobile Dealers Golden Klaxon - Special Vehicles Class (Russia)
- What Van? - Pickup of the Year 2012 (UK) 
- 4X4 Australia - Ute of the Year 2011 (Australia) 
- Delivery - Ute of the Year 2011 (Australia) 
- Zoo Magazine - Manliest Motor of the Year 2011 (UK) 
- British Insurance Vehicle Security Awards - Best Pickup of the Year 2011 (UK) 
- OFF ROAD - Pickup of the Year 2012 (Germany)
- Safest Pickup 2012
- Best Latin American Built Car
Search and Rescue Pickup concept
Volkswagen revealed their one tonne pickup study at the 2008 IAA Commercial Vehicle Show in September; the SAR Pickup measures 5.18 metres (17 ft) in length and 1.9 metres (6 ft 3 in) in width, and the 1.55 metres (5 ft 1 in) long cargo bed can carry a Euro sized broad pallet sideways.
SAR Pickup concept also was equipped for Lifeguards with: four mobile CB radios, flashlights, first aid kit with a defibrillator, binoculars, two safety helmets, removable neoprene seats for hard wearing, and a blue light roof module with integrated searchlight.
Possible production features that were on the concept: radio navigation system controlled by a multifunction touch screen, differential locks, cable winch and the rear logo opens the tailgate.
- "Alemania y Tailandia: Candidatos para Sumarse a la Produccion de Amarok | volkswagen | amarok | pick up | hannover | tailandia". Tiempomotor.Com. 2010-10-13. Retrieved 2013-06-25.
- "Volkswagen Konzern Amarok aus Hannover". Volkswagenag.com. Retrieved 2013-06-25.
- "Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles innovative developments". Web Publications Pty Limited. AutoWeb.com.au. 23 March 2005. Retrieved 6 November 2009.
- "Hilux disguise hides new Volkswagen Taro". WorldCarFans.com. 29 January 2008. Retrieved 6 November 2009.
- "VW pick-up - New VW pick-up caught cold". Dennis Publishing Limited. AutoExpress.co.uk. 30 March 2008. Retrieved 6 November 2009.
- Posted by phaeton (2008-09-23). "VW News Blog: VW Pickup Revealed !!!!!!!". Vwphaetonfan.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2009-07-25.
- Volkswagen Motorsport (2010-01-17). "Volkswagen Amarok will be Official Support Vehicle for Dakar Rally". Volkswagen Motorsport. Retrieved 2010-03-18.
- "VW Amarok | Euro NCAP - For safer cars crash test safety rating". Euro NCAP. Retrieved 2011-06-24.
- "Volkswagen safety | Amarok crash test". ANCAP. Retrieved 2013-06-25.
- "Interbrand names Volkswagen’s Amarok". Interbrand. insideline.com. 7 December 2009. Retrieved 7 December 2009.
- amárach. Wiktionary
- Posted by phaeton (2009-06-05). "VW News Blog: Pickup from Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles to be called Amarok". Vwphaetonfan.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2009-07-25.
- Jo says: March 11, 2012 at 10:38 pm (2012-03-11). "More Engines and Further Features for Volkswagen Amarok MY12 | VWWatercooled Australia". Vwwatercooled.org.au. Retrieved 2013-06-25.
- "Frankfurt 2011: Volkswagen Amarok with 8 speed Automatic and 132kW BiTDI | VWWatercooled Australia". Vwwatercooled.org.au. Retrieved 2013-06-25.
- "VW launches limited edition Amarok". askaprice.com. 15/09/14. Retrieved 15 September 2014. Check date values in:
- "Volkswagen to invest 223 million euros in Argentina". Thomson Reuters. Reuters.com. 16 October 2007. Retrieved 6 November 2009.
- "VW confirms stoppage of plans to build a Pick-up for European market". Forbes.com LLC. Forbes.com. 07.04.08. Archived from the original on 14 July 2008. Retrieved 6 November 2009. Check date values in:
- "Nuevo Amarok | Deja de seguir caminos; créalos". Amarok.mx. Retrieved 2011-06-24.
- Post a Job , this commenced week 30 2012 (2010-11-19). "VW to Invest 51.6 Billion Euros Over Next Five Years". Businessweek. Retrieved 2011-06-24.
- "Volkswagen Group Delegation from Lower Saxony visits Volkswagen plant in Pacheco, Argentina". Volkswagenag.com. 2011-10-08. Retrieved 2013-06-25.
- "Look out, Canada! - For the Volkswagen Amarok". IamDiesel. 2012-11-28. Retrieved 2013-02-15.
- Diveau, Scott (2012-02-27). "Diesel models becoming more desirable". Financial Post. Retrieved 2013-02-15.
- "First drive: Amarok single-cab". Wheels24. Retrieved 2013-06-25.
- GoAutoMedia - MIKE COSTELLO (2011-11-18). "Volkswagen 2012 Amarok SingleCab - Volkswagen launches single-cab Amarok". GoAuto. Retrieved 2013-06-25.
- Transport Today - Issue 56, April–May 2006, p. 50
- "Volkswagen Amarok Model Year (MY12) 2012 Changes". Vwwatercooled.org.au. Retrieved 2013-06-25.
- Chris Bruce (2013-02-04). "The coolest official vehicle of the Sochi Winter Olympics comes from VW". http://www.autoblog.com. Retrieved 2014-02-07.
- "Volkswagen Namib e Taro II, a pickup e a SUV que serÃ£o fabricados no Brasil". Noticiasautomotivas.com.br. 2007-02-02. Retrieved 2011-06-24.
- "New all-terrain vehicles for Defence". Netherlands Ministry of Defence. 2013-09-12. Retrieved 2014-08-13.
- "Welcome to AmarokOC.com™ | Amarok Owners Club". AmarokOC. 2011-09-18. Retrieved 2013-06-25.
- "VW Amarok Owners Club | VW Amarok Forum | Volkswagen Amarok Forums". VW Amarok Forum. Retrieved 2013-06-25.
- "Amarok Owners Club Off Road Weekend | VW Amarok Forum | Volkswagen Amarok Forums". VW Amarok Forum. Retrieved 2013-06-25.
- www,autoesporte.globo.com (in Portuguese)
- www.cars-magazine.com.ar (in Spanish)
- "www.pickuptrucks.com". News.pickuptrucks.com. 2010-10-06. Retrieved 2011-06-24.
- "Volkswagen Amarok gewinnt OFF ROAD Award 2011 - Yahoo! Autos". De.cars.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2011-06-24.
- "Volkswagen Amarok erhält den "Goldenen Keiler" - Amarok - VW". Auto.de. 2011-02-06. Retrieved 2011-06-24.
- "Новости". Vw-commercial.ru. 2011-01-31. Retrieved 2011-06-24.
- "Volkswagen Vans Scoops Three What Van? Awards | VWWatercooled Australia". Vwwatercooled.org.au. Retrieved 2013-06-25.
- "4X4 Ute of the Year... Meet the winner!". Motoring.ninemsn.com.au. 2011-12-08. Retrieved 2013-06-25.
- "VW Amarok wins Ute of the Year Award". Motoringmatters.com.au. 2011-06-02. Retrieved 2013-06-25.
- [dead link]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Volkswagen Amarok.|
- Official VWCV International Amarok Site
- First Drive: 2011 Volkswagen Amarok Motor Trend
- Volkswagen Amarok DC Highline 2.0BiTDI 4MOTION 8-AUT BMT Exterior and Interior in 3D 4K UHD
|Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles, a marque of the Volkswagen Group, car timeline, European market, 1950–present|
|Sedan delivery||Caddy I||Caddy II||Caddy III|
|Campervan||Westfalia California||California (T5)|
|Panel van derivatives||Type 2 (T1)||Type 2 (T2)||Transporter (T3)||Transporter (T4)||Transporter (T5)|
|LT I||LT II||Crafter|
Concepts and future models: Microbus Concept
|« previous — Volkswagen Passenger Cars, a marque of the Volkswagen Group, car timeline, United States/Canada market, 1980–present|
|Compact||Rabbit I||Golf II||Golf III||Golf IV||Rabbit V||Golf VI|
|Jetta I||Jetta II||Jetta III||Jetta IV||Jetta V||Jetta VI|
|Mid-size||Quantum||Passat III||Passat IV||Passat V||Passat VI||Passat NMS|
|Coupé||Scirocco I||Scirocco II||Corrado||CC|
|New Beetle Convertible||Beetle|
|Mid-size SUV||Touareg||Touareg II|