Volkswagen Passat NMS
|Volkswagen Passat NMS|
|Production||2011 - present|
|Model years||2012 - present|
|Assembly||Chattanooga, United States (VW America)
Shanghai, China (SVW)
|Body and chassis|
|Body style||4-door sedan|
|Layout||Transverse front-engine design|
2.0L I4 TDI
1.4L I4 TSI
1.8L I4 TSI
2.0L I4 TSI
|Wheelbase||2,803 mm (110.4 in)|
|Length||4,870 mm (191.7 in)|
|Width||1,834 mm (72.2 in)|
|Height||1,472 mm (58.0 in)|
|Predecessor||Volkswagen Passat (B6)
Volkswagen Passat Lingyu(China)
The 2012 Volkswagen Passat (formerly known as the Volkswagen New Midsize Sedan, or NMS while under development) is a mid-sized sedan which replaces the previous-generation Passat B6 in the North American market. The model is also shipped overseas to South Korea. The Passat NMS was officially announced in January 2011 at the Detroit Auto Show. Built at the Volkswagen Chattanooga Assembly Plant, the new Passat allows building and shipping costs to be reduced significantly over its predecessor making it more competitive to offerings from competitors at the $20K mark.
The Passat NMS is part of Volkswagen Group's strategy to sell upwards of 800,000 vehicles per year in the North American market. The vehicle was developed by Shanghai Volkswagen Automotive and Volkswagen Passenger Cars, and is partially based on the PQ46 platform used by the European Passat. From nose to tail, it measures 191.6 inches, growing 4 inches from the European model and features a stretched 110.4-inch wheelbase and 72.2-inch width, which allows for class-leading rear legroom in the Mid-Sized class.
North American and South Korean models are built at Volkswagen Group of America's new Chattanooga, Tennessee production facility. The new facility is a "Flex Plant" which will allow for the production of more than one vehicle that is based on the NMS platform. Reports say that a seven-seat crossover vehicle based on the NMS will be built at the plant.
The NMS is sold in the North American, South Korean, Middle Eastern and Chinese Markets, with no plans for a wagon/estate version. With the differing B7 Passat models sold outside of these markets, Volkswagen are marketing two different Passats concurrently across the globe. The Volkswagen Passat NMS won the 2012 Motor Trend Car of the Year. The 2013 Passat TDI sets new Guinness World Record for fuel economy under the Non-Hybrid car category. It achieved a fuel consumption of only 3.02 liter on 100 Kilometers (77.99 mpg). 
In China, the new model is built by 上海大众汽车 Shanghai Volkswagen Automotive and is marketed as a more upscale model with some interior and exterior differences to the North American model, such as wood-trimmed steering wheel, rear air vents, and LED accented headlights. It is sold alongside models such as the long-wheelbase version of the European Passat known as the Magotan and a B5 Passat-based Passat LingYu.
- 2013:Changes to the American market NMS Passat for 2013 include such upgrades as plastic covers for both trunk hinges (although they still remain of the intrusive variety). The 2013 Passat is available in S, SE, SEL and SEL Premium trims with either a five-cylinder, inline-four-cylinder diesel or V-6 powertrains. All SE and higher trimmed models also get a new center console design that now sports a pair of rear-passenger air vents, new cupholder designs and a new cover for the front storage area. On the SE trim levels a back-up camera is optional. A backup camera is standard on all SEL-trimmed models. Volkswagen did, however, remove Dual-Zone climate control from all models except the SEL.
- 2014: Changes to the American market NMS Passat for 2014 include the engine upgrade of the out dated in-line 5 cylinder beging replaced by a modern 1.8 liter turbo charged in-line 4 cylinder; Volkswagen says it's gradually phasing out the 2.5-liter 5 cylinder unit altogether. The new engine delivers 170 horsepower and 184 pounds-feet of torque. Compared to the 2.5-liter, horsepower is the same, but the 1.8 offers a bit more torque. Fuel-economy offers significant highway fuel mileage gains over the 2.5-liter unit. The 2014 Passat also now uses electro-mechanical steering, instead of the previous hydraulic setup.
Also new for 2014 is the VW Car-Net connection service system. Like GM's OnStar safety and communication system, Car-Net offers crash notification, roadside assistance and stolen vehicle location services. Through a smartphone app, users can also remotely start their vehicle, set boundary and speed alerts and get a vehicle health report. In the 2014 Passat, the system is available on the Wolfsburg Edition trim and higher  The 2014 Passat is available in S, Wolfsberg Edition, SE, SEL and SEL Premium trims with either a five-cylinder, inline-four-cylinder diesel or V-6 powertrains. VW says the Passat Wolfsburg Edition "offers a number of additional convenience features for a competitive price." The Wolfsburg Edition will slot between the base S ($21,640) and the midlevel SE ($24,740) trims and go on sale starting at $24,290; all prices include a $795 destination fee. To the S model — which comes standard with a six-speed automatic transmission, Bluetooth connectivity, a steering wheel with audio and phone controls, automatic headlights, power exterior mirrors and driver's seat lumbar support — the Wolfsburg Edition adds 16-inch alloy wheels, perforated V-Tex leatherette seats, a power driver's seat, heated front seats, satellite radio and a Media Device-Interface with iPod cable. Other model-year 2014 changes include more available features for the SE model, such as a backup camera, two-tone seats and keyless access with push-button start. Wolfsburg Edition cars get a leather-wrapped steering wheel, shift knob and parking brake for 2014.
The 2014 Passat Sport sits in between the mid-level SE and the top-of-the-line SEL Premium trim models. It features 19-inch wheels, rear spoiler, foglights, sport seats, carbon fiber-like accents, aluminum sport pedals, unique floor mats, and stainless steel door sills. Three paint choices are available. Urano Gray paint is exclusive to the Sport model, while Candy White and Tungsten Silver feature a contrasting black roof and mirror caps. The Passat Sport also comes standard with items found in the SE model, including a rearview camera, heated front seats, leather-wrapped steering wheel, and touchscreen audio system.
Volkswagen released a sketch of the NMS in February 2009 and a more detailed, second sketch on 28 October 2009. The Passat NMS differs from its European counterpart with an overall more chiseled appearance, however it reflects the new Volkswagen Design DNA developed by Walter de Silva, the Italian design chief for the Volkswagen Group, and Klaus Bischoff, the German design leader for the Volkswagen Brand. The design features a predominance of horizontal body elements and three-blade grille and headlights forming a single unit, while its foglights float above L-shaped chrome brackets. The Passat NMS interior borrows most of its design elements from the European Passat, most notably the tradition clock and splashes of contrasting trim. However, it lacks the swooping design of its European counterpart.
In Canada and the United States, the NMS was initially released with a 2.5L 5 Cylinder, 2.0 TDI and 3.6L VR6 matched to 5-speed manuals, automatics as well as 6-speed manuals and DSGs. Despite being a new model, the 2.5L will eventually be phased out by a more economical 1.8L TSI 158 bhp engine. Company officials have announced that by the summer of 2012, the New Midsize Sedan will also be available as a hybrid. The 2.0TDI engine is not offered on Mexican models.
In China, the NMS is offered with a base 1.4L TSI available with a 5-speed manual or 7-speed DSG, while the 2.0L TSI and 3.0L V6 come standard with 6- and 7-speed DSG gearboxes.
For the 2014 MY, a new 1.8L TSI four cylinder engine will replace the 2.5L inline-5 in North America.
|Model||Engine type||Power@rpm||Torque@rpm||0–62 mph acceleration||Top speed(MPH)||Fuel Economy
(City / Highway)
|2.5 L||151.0 cu in (2,474 cc) I5||170 PS (125 kW; 168 hp) @5700||177 lb·ft (240 N·m) @4250||8.2s||110 limited||22/31|
|3.6 VR6||219.4 cu in (3,595 cc) V6||280 PS (206 kW; 276 hp) @6200||258 lb·ft (350 N·m) @2500 - 5000||6.5s||N/A||20/28|
|2.0 TDI Clean Diesel||120.1 cu in (1,968 cc) I4||140 PS (103 kW; 138 hp) @4000||236 lb·ft (320 N·m) @1500 - 2500||9.3s||115 limited||31/43|
|1.8 TSI||109.7 cu in (1,798 cc) I4||170 PS (125 kW; 168 hp) @4800||184 lb-ft(250 nm)||24/34|
|Model||Engine type||Power@rpm||Torque@rpm||0–100 km/h acceleration||Top speed(Km/h)||Fuel Economy
(Litres/100 km @90 km/h)
|1.4 TSI||84.823 cu in (1,390 cc) I4||130 PS (96 kW; 128 hp) @5000||220 N·m (162 lb·ft) @1750 - 3500||10.4s||200||5|
|1.8 TSI||109.7 cu in (1,798 cc) I4||160 PS (118 kW; 158 hp) @4500||250 N·m (184 lb·ft) @1500 - 4500||9s||210||5.3|
|2.0 TSI||121.1 cu in (1,984 cc) I4||200 PS (147 kW; 197 hp) @5100||280 N·m (207 lb·ft) @1800 - 5000||8s||230||5.7|
|3.0 L V6||181.545 cu in (2,975 cc)V6||250 PS (184 KW/247 hp) @6400rpm||310 N·m (229 lb·ft) @3500||7.4s||240||6.0|
|2.5 L||2011-||5-speed manual||6-speed automatic|
|3.6 VR6||2011-||6-speed DSG||-|
|2.0TDI||2011-||6-speed manual||6-speed DSG|
|1.4TSI||2011-||5-speed manual||7-speed DSG|
|1.8 TSI||2011-||7-speed DSG||-|
|2.0 TSI||2011-||6-speed DSG||-|
|3.0 V6||2011-||6-speed DSG||-|
The Volkswagen Passat NMS won the 2012 Motor Trend Car of the Year.
In a March 2012 comparison test by Car and Driver, the Volkswagen Passat NMS came in first place out of six cars. However in a November 2012 comparison by the same magazine with three since redesigned competitors the Passat placed last.
In a 2012 comparison test by Motor Trend, the Volkswagen Passat NMS came in first place out of six cars.
Yearly American sales
- "2011 Volkswagen Jetta / NCS (New Compact Sedan) and NMS (New Mid-Size Sedan) U.S.-Market Sedans - Spied". Car and Driver. December 2008. Retrieved 9 September 2009.
- "VW Passat sets world record".
- "Shanghai Volkswagen to Release the NMS in the Second Quarter of 2011". ChinaAutoWeb.com.
- "Both VW NMS and Seventh Generation Passat Are Coming to China". ChinaAutoWeb.com.
- http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2012/07/2013-volkswagen-passat-whats-changed.html. Missing or empty
- http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2013/07/2014-volkswagen-passat-whats-changed.html. Missing or empty
- [://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2013/07/2014-volkswagen-passat-whats-changed.html ://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2013/07/2014-volkswagen-passat-whats-changed.html]. Missing or empty
- http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2013/04/vw-passat-lineup-gets-wolfsburg-edition.html. Missing or empty
- Ayapana, Erick. "2014 Volkswagen Passat Sport Priced at $27,295". www.motortrend.com. Retrieved June 30 2014.
- "First Sketch of the Volkswagen New Midsize Sedan". PaulTan.org. 13 February 2009. Retrieved 9 September 2009.
- "PHOTO ADVISORY". Volkswagen of America, Inc. 28 October 2009. Retrieved 5-Nov-09.
- "2013 Chevrolet Malibu Eco vs. 2012 Honda Accord EX-L, 2012 Hyundai Sonata SE, 2012 Kia Optima EX, 2012 Toyota Camry SE, 2012 Volkswagen Passat 2.5 SE".
- "Comparison: 2012-2013 Midsize Sedan, Battle of the Best-Sellers".
- "VOLKSWAGEN reports 26.3 percent inease in 2011 U.S. sales". Volkswagen Group of America. 2012-01-04. Retrieved 2013-02-23.
- "VOLKSWAGEN REPORTS 35.1 PERCENT INCREASE IN 2012 U.S. SALES". Volkswagen Group of America. 2013-01-03. Retrieved 2013-02-23.
- "Vvolkswagen reports december 2013 and year-end results". Volkswagen Group of America. 2014-01-03. Retrieved 2014-01-05.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Volkswagen Passat NMS.|
- Volkswagen of America Passat page
- Volkswagen Canada Passat Page
- Volkswagen Mexico Passat Page
- Volkswagen China New Passat Page
- Volkswagen China Passat Interactive Page
- Shanghai Volkswagen Passat Site
- South Korean Volkswagen Passat Site
|« previous — Volkswagen Passenger Cars, a marque of the Volkswagen Group, car timeline, United States/Canada market, 1980–present|
|Compact||Rabbit I||Golf II||Golf III||Golf IV||Rabbit V||Golf VI|
|Jetta I||Jetta II||Jetta III||Jetta IV||Jetta V||Jetta VI|
|Mid-size||Quantum||Passat III||Passat IV||Passat V||Passat VI||Passat NMS|
|Coupé||Scirocco I||Scirocco II||Corrado||CC|
|New Beetle Convertible||Beetle|
|Mid-size SUV||Touareg||Touareg II|