(by Volvo Cars Ghent factory)
|Body and chassis|
|Class||Compact executive crossover SUV|
|Body style||5-door SUV|
|Layout||Front engine, front-wheel drive / all-wheel drive|
|Platform||Volvo Y20 platform|
|Related||Land Rover Freelander
|Transmission||6-speed AWTF-80 SC automatic
|Wheelbase||2,774 mm (109.2 in)|
|Length||4,628 mm (182.2 in)|
|Width||1,891 mm (74.4 in)|
|Height||1,715 mm (67.5 in)|
The Volvo XC60 is a compact executive/entry-level luxury crossover produced by Volvo Cars in Ghent, Belgium and is based on Volvo Y20 platform. Introduced in 2008, the XC60 has been Volvo's best selling car since 2009.
XC60 concept (2007)
The XC60 concept was a preview of the production XC60. It included a glass roof and a newly styled grille, with a much larger Volvo logo along with the 'V' which is shaped on the Volvo, this was the first of Volvo's new 'DNA' which they are slowly implementing throughout the model range. The XC60 concept also included a new shifting mechanism, electronic bootlid, and 20 inch wheels.
First generation (2008-)
The XC60 shares technology with the Land Rover Freelander of 2007, using a modified version of the Volvo Y20 platform. The Land Rover Discovery 4/LR3 will set the stage for these corporate siblings to enter the market, as much of the engineering and tuning of this CUV was done by Volvo in Sweden, only offroad capabilities were done at Land Rover in England. The project director for the XC60 is Lars Blenwall.
In April 2010, an R-Design variant of the XC60 became available, featuring a color-matching body kit, stiffer chassis and damping, and other unique exterior/interior trim.
United Kingdom models
- XC60 ES (Standard): The XC60 S is the standard variant and comes with either a D3 (163 bhp) (front wheel drive) or D5 AWD (205 bhp (153 kW; 208 PS) all wheel drive). The XC60 S D3 is available as the manual 'DRIVe' eco-version or geartronic (automatic) version. The D5 AWD is also available as either an automatic or manual version.
- XC60 SE (Standard Extra): The XC60 SE is an upgrade variant to the XC60 S with the same engine line up as the S and has the addition of a six-cylinder T6 AWD Petrol Engine which produces 304 bhp (227 kW; 308 PS).
- XC60 SE LUX (Standard Extra Luxury): The XC60 SE LUX has the same choice of engines as the XC60 SE but has additional equipment to the SE.
|3.2 FWD, 3.2 AWD||2009–2010||3,192cc I6 (B6324S)||240 PS @ 6,200 rpm, 320 Nm @ 3,200 rpm|
|2011||243 PS (179 kW; 240 hp), 320 N·m (240 lb·ft)|
|T6 AWD||2008–2010||2,953 cc (3 L; 180 cu in) I6 turbo (B6304T2)||285 PS (210 kW; 281 hp) @ 5,600 rpm, 400 N·m (300 lb·ft) @ 1,500-4,800 rpm|
|2011||304 PS (224 kW; 300 hp) @ 6,500 rpm, 440 N·m (325 lb·ft) @ 2,100-4,200 rpm|
|T6 AWD R-Design (US)||2011||2,953 cc (3 L; 180 cu in) I6 turbo (B6304T2)||330 PS (243 kW; 325 hp) @ 6,500 rpm, 474 N·m (350 lb·ft) @ 3,000-3,600 rpm|
|2.4D AWD||2008–2009||2,400 cc (2.4 L; 150 cu in) I5 turbo (D5244T5)||163 PS (120 kW; 161 hp) @ 4,000 rpm, 340 N·m (250 lb·ft) @ 1,750-2,750 rpm|
|2.4D, 2.4D DRIVE FWD||2009–2010||2,400 cc (2.4 L; 150 cu in) I5 turbo (D5244T14)||175 PS (129 kW; 173 hp) @ 3,000-4,000 rpm, 420 N·m (310 lb·ft) @ 1,500-2,750 rpm|
|D3 2.0D DRIVE FWD||2010-||1,984 cc (1.984 L; 121.1 cu in) I5 turbo (D5244T1)||163 PS (120 kW; 161 hp) @ 2,900 rpm, 400 N·m (295 lb·ft) @ 1,400-2,850 rpm|
|D3 AWD Aut||2012||2,400 cc (2.4 L; 150 cu in) I5 turbo (D5244T17)||163 PS (120 kW; 161 hp) @ 4,000 rpm, 420 N·m (310 lb·ft) @ 1,500-2,500 rpm|
|D3 /Drive||2012||2,400 cc (2.4 L; 150 cu in) I5 turbo (D5204T3)||163 PS (120 kW; 161 hp) @ 3,500 rpm, 400 N·m (295 lb·ft) @ 1,500-2,750 rpm|
|D5 AWD||2010-||2,400 cc (2.4 L; 150 cu in) I5 turbo (D5244T16)||163 PS (120 kW; 161 hp) @ 4,000 rpm, 400 N·m (295 lb·ft) @ 1,500-2,500 rpm|
|D5 AWD||2008–2009||2,400 cc (2.4 L; 150 cu in) I5 turbo (D5244T4)||185 PS (136 kW; 182 hp) @ 4,000 rpm, 400 N·m (295 lb·ft) @ 2,000-2,750 rpm|
|D5 AWD||2009-2011||2,400 cc (2.4 L; 150 cu in) I5 turbo (D5244T10)||205 PS (151 kW; 202 hp) @ 4,000 rpm, 420 N·m (310 lb·ft) @ 1,500-3,250 rpm|
|D5 AWD||2011-||2,400 cc (2.4 L; 150 cu in) I5 bi-turbo (D5244T15)||215 PS (158 kW; 212 hp) @ 4,000 rpm, 440 N·m (325 lb·ft) @ 1,500-3,000 rpm|
UK MY2010 vehicles include 2.4D, D5, and T6 engines. During mid 2010 the 2.4D unit was discontinued and replaced with two new D3 engines. 2.0 L for FWD and 2.4 L for AWD. D5 205 HP engine was replaced with D5 215 HP bi-turbo engine in mid-2011 (2012 Model Year).
US models include 3.2 FWD and T6 AWD. Canada models include 3.2 FWD, 3.2 AWD, and T6 AWD.
Australian models include 3.2 AWD, D5 AWD and T6 AWD.
The DRIVe (Auto) models feature stop/start technology. All diesel engines feature particulate filters.
|3.2 FWD||2009-||6-speed Geartronic|
|3.2 AWD||2009-||6-speed Geartronic|
|T6 AWD||2008-||6-speed Geartronic|
|D3 DRIVe||2010+||6-speed manual|
|D5 AWD||2009-||6-speed manual, 6-speed Geartronic|
All US models have only six-speed Geartronic transmissions. Canadian models have only six-speed automatic transmission for 3.2 FWD and 3.2 AWD. The T6 AWD includes a six-speed Geartronic transmission.
The T5 models are using the ford PowerShift GearBox (2011-) (Israel)
The Volvo XC60 plug-in hybrid concept was unveiled at the 2012 North American International Auto Show. According to Volvo, the XC60 Plug-in Hybrid has an all-electric range of up to 35 mi (56 km) for a fuel economy equivalent of 105 mpg-US (2.2 L/100 km; 126 mpg-imp) and a total range of 600 mi (970 km). Fuel economy when running on the gasoline engine is estimated at 50 mpg-US (4.7 L/100 km; 60 mpg-imp). Recharging time is 3.5 hours from a 220V outlet and 7.5 hours from a 110V outlet.
The XC60 includes traditional Volvo safety features including a whiplash protection system, side impact protection system, roll stability control, dynamic stability and traction control, inflatable curtain airbags, hill descent control (AWD only), collision warning with brake support, active bi-xenon lights (optional on some models), and patented front, side, and rear structures. The XC60 also introduced a new technology feature that Volvo has named City safety. The system is described as a driver support system with the goal of preventing or mitigating vehicle-on-vehicle collisions below 30 km/h (19 mph); it does so through the use of a closing velocity sensor that helps determine whether a collision is likely. Depending on the speed, if a collision is likely, the Volvo's computer system will either prepare the car to brake or automatically brake the vehicle to avoid or mitigate a rear-end collision. Volvo also implemented the system to assist in towing caravans and trailers.
In 2011, the Highway Loss Data Institute credited City Safety for 27% fewer property damage liability claims, 51% fewer bodily injury liability claims, and 22% fewer collision claims for the XC60 compared to other midsize luxury SUVs. The XC60 had fewer insurance claims compared to other Volvo models lacking the City Safety feature.
EuroNCAP evaluated the XC60 in 2008, awarding it 5 of 5 stars for adult occupant protection. The XC60 scored 16 of 16 points in the front test and 16 of 16 in the side test. The car received 2 of 2 points available in the pole test and an additional 3 points available for seat belt reminders. The XC60 received a total of 37 of 37 points and therefore five stars (33-37) in EuroNCAP's evaluation. The XC60 was one of only three cars (Nissan Qashqai, 2008-onward Renault Megane) to receive 37 of 37 available points under EuroNCAP's point based evaluation.
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety awarded the Volvo XC60 their Top Safety Pick+ award. The XC60 was granted the IIHS's highest rating of "good" in front, side, rear and roof strength tests and has Electronic Stability Control as standard equipment to receive the award.
Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS)
|Moderate overlap frontal offset||Good|
|Small overlap frontal offset (2013–present models)||Good1|
- 1 vehicle structure rated "Good"
- 2 strength-to-weight ratio: 5.23
|Side Pole Driver:|
In February 2013, Volvo debuted a refreshed version of the XC60, to be released for the 2014 model year. Exterior updates are primarily cosmetic, with changes to the grille and front driving lights, loss of black cladding along the lower doorsills, and minor changes to the exhaust tips and taillights. Interior updates include new materials and dashboard trims, available paddle shifter on the T6 model, and introduction of a 7" touch-screen display. 
Sales and marketing
|Calendar year||United States||Canada||Sweden||Global|
- "Volvo Car Corporation Global Media Newsroom". Media.volvocars.com. 2012-01-05. Retrieved 2012-07-01.
- "http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_news/2006/112_0701_volvo_xc60". Motortrend.com. Retrieved 2010-11-30.
- "THE XC60 PROJECT – DELIVERING A CAPABLE AND CHARISMATIC CROSSOVER FROM VOLVO". Media.ford.com. Retrieved 2010-11-30.
- Lavrinc, Damon (2008-03-05). "Geneva 2008: Volvo XC60 softroads in style". Autoblog.com. Retrieved 2010-11-30.
- "Volvo's New XC60 Premium Crossover to be 2010 Model". Autonewscast.com. 2009-01-09. Retrieved 2010-11-30.
- Filipponio, Frank (2009-01-29). "Volvo announces 2010 XC60 pricing starting at $37,200". Autoblog.com. Retrieved 2010-11-30.
- "XC60 brochure" (PDF). Retrieved 2011-11-22.
- Lawrence Ulrich (2012-01-10). "With XC60 Plug-in Hybrid, Volvo Delivers a Rousing ‘Me, Too’". The New York Times. Retrieved 2012-01-30.
- Sebastian Blanco (2012-01-09). "Volvo XC60 Plug In Hybrid shows where the company is headed". Autoblog Green. Retrieved 2012-01-30.
- "http://www.volvocars.com/us/footer/about/NewsAndEvents/default/Pages/default.aspx?item=178". Volvocars.com. Retrieved 2010-11-30.
- "HLDI news release". Iihs.org. 2011-07-19. Retrieved 2012-07-01.
- "EuroNCAP evaluation". Euroncap.com. Retrieved 2010-11-30.
- "IIHS evaluation". Iihs.org. Retrieved 2010-11-30.
- "Welcome to VolvoCars-PR.com". Media.volvocars.com. 2011-11-01. Retrieved 2011-11-22.
- "Volvo Personbilar Sverige Newsroom". Media.volvocars.com. Retrieved 2011-06-15.
- "Welcome to Volvo Cars Newsroom". Media.volvocars.com. 2011-05-12. Retrieved 2011-06-15.
- "Welcome to VolvoCars-PR.com". Media.volvocars.com. 2009-10-27. Retrieved 2011-11-22.
- Official international website
- Official US website
- Ford Media press release on Volvo XC60 Concept (Media.Ford.com)
- VOLVO XC60 D5 Summum - 2008 - detailed test drive by Autoevolution.com
- Volvo Xc60 2008 3.0 Turbo T6 Manual De Reparacion Mecanica
- Volvo XC 60 review in Jun 2011
|« previous — Volvo Cars road car timeline, 1960s–present|
|Small family car||544||340/360||S40/V40||S40/V50||V40|
|Large family car||Amazon/120/130||S60/V70||S60/V60|
|Sports car||P1800||1800S||1800E||1800ES||242 GT||240 Turbo||850 T5/R||S70/V70 T5/R||S60/V70 T5||S60/V70 R|