Von Steuben Metropolitan Science Center
|Von Steuben Metropolitan Science Center|
|5039 N. Kimball Avenue
Chicago, Illinois, 60625
|School type||Public Secondary Magnet|
|Motto||We are a professional learning community.|
|School district||Chicago Public Schools|
|Principal||Elsie K. Kane|
|Athletics conference||Chicago Public League|
|Accreditation||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools |
|Newspaper||The Panther Press|
Von Steuben Metropolitan Science Center (formerly known as Von Steuben Metropolitan High) is a public 4-year magnet high school located in the North Park neighborhood on the northside of Chicago, Illinois, USA. It is operated by Chicago Public Schools The school is named for military officer Friedrich Wilhelm von Steuben. Von Steuben was named an Outstanding American High School by US News and World Report in 1999 and mentioned in Newsweek's America's Best High Schools list in 2003. According to the US News and World Report in 2012, Von Steuben ranks at #49 at the state level and #1273 at the national level.
Von Steuben competes in the Chicago Public League (CPL) and is a member of the Illinois High School Association (IHSA). In the 2002-2003 the men’s sophomore basketball team won the Chicago class AA city title. In 2005 and 2006 the men's varsity water polo team won the city title. In the 2011-2012 season the men's sophomore volleyball team were named city champions.
- Men’s Soccer
- Women’s Swimming
- Women’s Volleyball
- Women's Tennis
- Men’s and Women’s Cross-Country
- Men's and Women's Golf
- Men’s and Women’s Basketball
- Women's Bowling
- Men’s Swimming
- Men's and Women's Indoor Track
- Men’s Baseball
- Women’s Softball
- Men’s and Women’s Soccer
- Men’s Tennis
- Men’s Volleyball
- Men’s and Women’s Volleyball
- Men’s and Women’s Track and Field
- Men's and Women's Water Polo
Von placed 2nd out of 17 CPS schools in the 2011 CPS Debate Tournament.Nasser and Sean ran the missile defense affirmative to near perfection thanks to the tutelage of the famed former University of Illinois debater, Kurt Hilgendorf. 
- Rosalyn Bryant, 1976 Olympic silver medalist in the 4x400 meter relay.
- Charlene Barshefsky, former United States Trade Representative
- Lynn Sweet, Chicago Sun Times National Washington DC Bureau Chief.
- Howie Carl, basketball player, played for Rey Meyer at DePaul University and played pro basketball for the NBA's Chicago Packers
- Albert Goldbarth, poet and author
- Ash-har Quraishi, broadcast journalist; formerly CNN's bureau chief in Islamabad.
- Marv Rotblatt, former MLB player (Chicago White Sox)
- Les Grobstein, Chicago Sportscaster (WLS,WLUP,WSCR,UIC Flames)
- Aaron Brooks, Chicago Bulls - Point Guard position
- Chicago Public Schools: Von Stueben
- "Institution Summary for Von Steuben Metropolitan Science Center". AdvacedED profile. North Central Association Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement. Retrieved 3 September 2012.