Davis with the Dolphins in 2011
No. 21 Indianapolis Colts
|Date of birth:May 27, 1988|
|Place of birth: Washington, D.C.|
|High school: Washington (DC) Dunbar|
|NFL Draft: 2009 / Round: 1 / Pick: 25|
|Debuted in 2009 for the Miami Dolphins|
|Roster status: Active|
Career highlights and awards
Career NFL statistics as of Week 1, 2014
Vontae O. Davis // (born May 27, 1988) is an American football cornerback for the Indianapolis Colts of the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted by the Miami Dolphins with the 25th overall pick in the 2009 NFL Draft. He played college football at the University of Illinois.
Davis played his high school football at Dunbar High School in Washington, D.C.. He played cornerback and wide receiver. During his senior season he recorded 38 tackles and 8 interceptions and achieved many awards and honors including Washington Post first-team All-Metro, PrepStar All-American, DCIAA West first-team All-Conference, and D.C. Gatorade Player of the Year.
Davis chose Illinois over Maryland, Michigan State, and Virginia. Davis had a great freshman season recording 30 tackles and intercepting one pass. He was named to the Freshman All-America first teams by The Sporting News, Scout.com and Rivals.com and was also the Illini's Rookie of the Year. In 2007 he started all 12 games he played recording 56 tackles, including 13 in the Rose Bowl against USC, and was tied for third in the Big Ten with four interceptions. After his junior season he declared that he would forgo his senior season and become eligible for the 2009 NFL Draft.
2009 NFL Draft
|Ht||Wt||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP||Wonderlic|
|5 ft 11⅝ in||201 lb||4.49 s||1.47 s||2.53 s||4.07 s||6.75 s||37 in||10 ft 5 in||25 reps||33|
|All values from NFL Combine|
Davis was signed by the Dolphins to a five-year deal with a guarantee in excess of $7 million. Davis recorded his first career interception in Week 4 of the 2009 season against Buffalo Bills quarterback Trent Edwards, returning it 23 yards for a touchdown. Davis finished his rookie season with 53 tackles, four interceptions, and 11 pass deflections. Pro Football Weekly selected him on its annual All-Rookie team.
During the 2011 preseason, Davis boasted that he and cornerback Sean Smith were the "best (cornerback) tandem in the league". However, his first two games were forgettable as New England's Tom Brady passed for 517 yards in the season opener, and Davis had no passes defended or interceptions in either game. He also had to leave both of the first two games with injuries including cramps in week 1 and a hamstring injury in Miami's week 2 loss against the Houston Texans.
Vontae is the younger brother of San Francisco 49ers tight end Vernon Davis. In June 2009, several media outlets reported that Davis was stopped and arrested for traffic infractions in Champaign, Illinois, then turned out to be an identity theft incident after Davis' wallet was stolen.
- "Rivals.com Cornerbacks 2006". January 30, 2006.
- Top corner Davis to go pro
- "Vontae Davis, Malcolm Jenkins are top DB prospects for NFL Draft", Sports Illustrated, February 19, 2009, retrieved May 27, 2010
- Berardino, Mike (July 31, 2009), "Vontae Davis agrees to terms with Miami Dolphins", South Florida Sun-Sentinel
- Thompson, Edgar (October 4, 2009), "Miami Dolphins' defense racks up six sacks and three interceptions while beating Buffalo", Palm Beach Post
- Blunda, Michael (Jan 20, 2010), "Receivers, 'backers stand out on All-Rookie team", Pro Football Weekly
- Matt Forman (2011-08-26). "Vontae Davis: Miami Dolphins’ corners are best in NFL". Retrieved 2011-09-20.
- The Sports Network (2011-09-12). "Brady sets Patriots passing records". Retrieved 2011-09-20.
- Armando Salguero (2011-09-20). "Wildcat 2.0 may be in play for Miami Dolphins". Retrieved 2011-09-20.
- McIntyre, Brian (August 26, 2012). "Dolphins to trade Vontae Davis to Colt for draft pick". NFL.com. Retrieved 2012-08-26.
- "Vontae Davis re-signs with Colts". ESPN. March 11, 2014. Retrieved March 11, 2014.
- Frias, Carlos (June 27, 2009), "Vontae Davis identity theft incident is another reminder for athletes", Palm Beach Post
- "Vontae Davis' Identity Stolen", Bleacher Report, June 23, 2009