Voodoo Child: The Jimi Hendrix Collection
|Voodoo Child: The Jimi Hendrix Collection|
|Compilation album by Jimi Hendrix|
|Released||May 8, 2001|
|Jimi Hendrix chronology|
Voodoo Child: The Jimi Hendrix Collection is a two-disc compilation album by American rock musician Jimi Hendrix, released on May 8, 2001, by MCA Records. The first disc contains studio recordings, including alternate versions, while the second disc contains live recordings, some of which were previously unreleased. It was packaged with an essay by writer Kurt Loder. Voodoo Child was certified gold by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), having sold 500,000 copies in the United States.
In a five-star review for Blender magazine, music critic Robert Christgau said Voodoo Child is an improvement over the 1997 compilation album Experience Hendrix because, apart from "Manic Depression", it does not leave out any crucial songs, while the second disc's undefinitive but revealing live recordings make it Hendrix's best live album. Nicholas Taylor of PopMatters felt the alternate versions on disc one are of mixed quality, but the two-disc set offers listeners the most thorough overview of Hendrix's precarious artistry, particularly the live disc: "We hear him at his glorious studio best, we hear his less than stellar studio experimentation, and we hear his sometimes wildly exhilarating, sometimes horribly messy, live performances."
In his three-star review, AllMusic's Lindsay Planer wrote that the difficulty in curating a compilation of Hendrix's music and the exceptional song selection and sound quality of Voodoo Child make it successful as "a thumbnail sketch of Hendrix in both a studio and concert environment ... a great touchstone for anyone wishing to begin their Jimi Hendrix experience". Rolling Stone journalists Paul Evans and Nathan Brackett gave the album four out of five stars in The Rolling Stone Album Guide (2004), as did Colin Larkin in The Encyclopedia of Popular Music (2011).
All songs written and composed by Jimi Hendrix, except where noted.
Disc one (Studio)
Disc two (Live)
- "Jimi Hendrix: Gold & Platinum". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved September 29, 2014.
- Christgau, Robert (December 2005). "Back Catalogue: Jimi Hendrix". Blender (New York). Retrieved July 19, 2014.
- Taylor, Nicholas. "Jimi Hendrix: Voodoo Child: The Jimi Hendrix Collection". PopMatters. Retrieved July 19, 2014.
- Planer, Lindsay. "Voodoo Child: The Jimi Hendrix Collection - Jimi Hendrix". AllMusic. Retrieved July 19, 2014.
- Evans, Paul; Brackett, Nathan (2004). "Jimi Hendrix". In Brackett, Nathan; Hoard, Christian. The New Rolling Stone Album Guide (4th ed.). Simon & Schuster. p. 374. ISBN 0-7432-0169-8. Retrieved July 19, 2014.
- Larkin, Colin (2011). The Encyclopedia of Popular Music (5th ed.). Omnibus Press. p. 53. ISBN 0857125958.
- Billboard album charts info - Voodoo Child: The Jimi Hendrix Collection at AllMusic. Retrieved 6 September 2011.
- "UK chart history - Voodoo Child: The Jimi Hendrix Collection". www.chartstats.com. Archived from the original on 29 July 2012. Retrieved 6 September 2011.
- Moskowitz, David (2010). "More Modern Releases - Voodoo Child: The Jimi Hendrix Collection". The Words and Music of Jimi Hendrix. ABC-CLIO. pp. 119–20. ISBN 0313375925.