Voodoo Child: The Jimi Hendrix Collection
|Voodoo Child: The Jimi Hendrix Collection|
|Compilation album by Jimi Hendrix|
|Released||May 8, 2001|
|Recorded||November 22, 1966-Oct 19, 1970|
|Jimi Hendrix chronology|
Voodoo Child: The Jimi Hendrix Collection (2001, MCA Records) is a two-disc set compilation. The first disc contains studio recordings and the second disc contains live recordings. It contains many alternate recordings of studio tracks, and previously unavailable and unreleased recordings. It contains an essay by Kurt Loder.
In a five-star review for Blender magazine, music critic Robert Christgau said that Voodoo Child is an improvement over the 1997 compilation album Experience Hendrix because, apart from "Manic Depression", it does not leave out any necessary songs and its second disc's undefinitive, but revealing live versions comprise Hendrix's best live album. Nicholas Taylor of PopMatters felt that although the alternate versions on disc one are of mixed quality, the compilation album offers listeners the most thorough overview of Hendrix's precarious artistry, particularly the live disc: "We hear him at his glorious studio best, we hear his less than stellar studio experimentation, and we hear his sometimes wildly exhilarating, sometimes horribly messy, live performances."
In his three-star review, AllMusic's Lindsay Planer wrote that the difficulty in curating a compilation of Hendrix's music and the exceptional song selection and sound quality of Voodoo Child make it successful as "a thumbnail sketch of Hendrix in both a studio and concert environment ... a great touchstone for anyone wishing to begin their Jimi Hendrix experience". Rolling Stone journalists Paul Evans and Nathan Brackett gave the album four out of five stars in The Rolling Stone Album Guide (2004), as did Colin Larkin in The Encyclopedia of Popular Music (2011).
All songs written and composed by Jimi Hendrix, except where noted.
Disc one (Studio)
- Purple Haze – 2:50
- Hey Joe (Roberts) – 3:30
- The Wind Cries Mary – 3:20
- Fire – 2:43
- Highway Chile** (Alternate Recording) – 3:39
- Are You Experienced? – 4:14
- Burning of the Midnight Lamp – 3:39
- Little Wing – 2:24
- All Along the Watchtower** (Alternate Recording) (Bob Dylan) – 3:59
- Crosstown Traffic – 2:12
- Voodoo Child (Slight Return) – 5:12
- Spanish Castle Magic** (Alternate Recording) – 5:48
- Stone Free** (Alternate Recording) – 3:43
- Izabella- (Original Band Of Gypsys Single Version) – 2:46
- Stepping Stone- (Original Band Of Gypsys Single Version) – 4:07
- Angel – 4:21
- Dolly Dagger – 4:44
- Hey Baby (New Rising Sun) – 6:04
- UK Bonus Track
- 19. Third Stone From The Sun - 6:45
Disc two (Live)
- Fire* – (Winterland, San Francisco, CA, October 12, 1968) - 3:33
- Hey Joe* (Roberts) – (Winterland, San Francisco, CA, October 12, 1968) - 6:46
- I Don't Live Today – (Los Angeles Forum, Los Angeles, CA, April 26, 1969) - 6:45
- Hear My Train A Comin' – (Berkeley Community Theatre, Berkeley, CA, May 30, 1970) - 11:00
- Foxey Lady+ – (Maui, Hawaii, July 30, 1970) - 4:25
- Machine Gun – [Fillmore East, New York, NY, January 1, 1970] - 11:33
- Johnny B. Goode (Berry) – (Berkeley Community Theatre, Berkeley, CA, May 30, 1970) - 4:45
- Red House* – (New York Pop Festival, Randalls Island, NY, July 17, 1970) - 8:00
- Freedom* – (Isle Of Wight Festival, England, August 30, 1970) - 4:06
- Purple Haze – (San Diego Sports Arena, San Diego, CA, May 24, 1969) - 3:55
- The Star Spangled Banner (John Stafford Smith) – (Woodstock Festival, Bethel, NY, August 18, 1969) - 3:43
- Wild Thing (Taylor)* – (Monterey Pop Festival, Monterey, CA, June 18, 1967) - 7:41
- Alternate Recording
- Original Band Of Gypsys Single Version
- Previously Unavailable
+ Previously Unreleased
- Christgau, Robert (December 2005). "Back Catalogue: Jimi Hendrix". Blender (New York). Retrieved July 19, 2014.
- Taylor, Nicholas. "Jimi Hendrix: Voodoo Child: The Jimi Hendrix Collection". PopMatters. Retrieved July 19, 2014.
- Planer, Lindsay. "Voodoo Child: The Jimi Hendrix Collection - Jimi Hendrix". AllMusic. Retrieved July 19, 2014.
- Evans, Paul; Brackett, Nathan (2004). "Jimi Hendrix". In Brackett, Nathan; Hoard, Christian. The New Rolling Stone Album Guide (4th ed.). Simon & Schuster. p. 374. ISBN 0-7432-0169-8. Retrieved July 19, 2014.
- Larkin, Colin (2011). The Encyclopedia of Popular Music (5th ed.). Omnibus Press. p. 53. ISBN 0857125958.
- Billboard album charts info - Voodoo Child: The Jimi Hendrix Collection at AllMusic. Retrieved 6 September 2011.
- "UK chart history - Voodoo Child: The Jimi Hendrix Collection". www.chartstats.com. Archived from the original on 29 July 2012. Retrieved 6 September 2011.
- Moskowitz, David (2010). "More Modern Releases - Voodoo Child: The Jimi Hendrix Collection". The Words and Music of Jimi Hendrix. ABC-CLIO. pp. 119–20. ISBN 0313375925.