Vorsprung durch Technik
Vorsprung durch Technik (German pronunciation: [ˈfoːɐ̯ʃpʁʊŋ dʊɐ̯ç ˈtɛçnɪk]; roughly "Advancement through technology") is a German language phrase and the main advertising slogan and company ethos for the German car maker Audi. It has been used in Audi advertising campaigns all over the world., except in the United States where the slogan "Truth in Engineering" is used.)
It was first used in English-language advertising after Sir John Hegarty of the Bartle Bogle Hegarty advertising agency visited the Audi factory in 1982. In the original British television commercials, the phrase was voiced by Geoffrey Palmer.
In the mid-1990s, Audi repositioned itself as the premium brand within the Volkswagen family.
In popular culture
After its repeated use in advertising campaigns, the phrase found its way into popular culture:
- Only Fools and Horses (1986) Series 5, Episode 1: 'From Prussia with Love'. Del Boy quotes the line when trying to comfort a German girl about to give birth.
- U2 song "Zooropa"
- Blur song "Parklife" in one of Phil Daniels' lines from the song
- The German trance DJ Paul van Dyk titled his 1998 remix album Vorsprung Dyk Technik.
- The punchline for a joke in the movie Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels (four spring dwarf technique)
- One of Rowan Atkinson's pseudo-German lines in his performance, "Robert Bennington sings the European Anthem"
- "Audi Canada > Experience Audi > Audi History > Vorsprung durch Technik". Audi Canada web presence. AUDI AG. Retrieved 7 November 2011.
Loosely translated, "Vorsprung durch Technik" means “Advancement through Technology”
- One of the famous commercials advertising Audi's four-wheel drive abilities
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl0zw1YVZd4 "Superbowl 2014 Commercial, where the phrase "Truth in Engineering" is used rather than the world-wide, well known "Vorsprung durch Technik"
- Rice-Oxley, Mark; Topham, Laurence; Alsaker, Ole (18 September 2012). "Vorsprung durch Technik: how a catchphrase was coined – video". The Guardian. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- Official U2 Website - Zooropa Lyrics
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Audi.|
|Audi, a marque of the Volkswagen Group, car timeline, North American market, 1980–present|
|Compact car||A3 (8P)|
|4000 (81)||80 / 90 (89)||90 (8C)||A4 (8D/8E/8H/8K)|
|4000 CS quattro||S4 (8D/8E/8H/8K)|
|Mid-size car||5000 (43)||5000 (44)||100 / 200 (44)||100 (4A)||A6 (4A)||A6 (4B)||A6 (4F)|
|Ur-S4||Ur-S6||S6 (4B)||S6 (4F)|
|Full-size car||V8 (4C)||A8 (4D/4E/4H) / S8 (4D/4E)|
|Coupé||Coupé (81)||Coupe Quattro (89)||A5 / S5 (8T)|
|TT Coupé (8N)||TT Coupé (8J)|
|Roadster||TT Roadster (8N)||TT Roadster (8J)|
|Convertible||Cabriolet (8G)||A4 Cabriolet / S4 Cabriolet (8H)||A5 / S5 (8F)|
|Sports car||Quattro (Ur-Quattro)||RS6 (4B)||RS4 (8E/8H)|
|Crossover||allroad quattro (4Z)|
|Mid-size SUV||Q5 (8R)|
|Full-size SUV||Q7 (4L)|
|This advertising-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|