Voyage of the Acolyte
|Voyage of the Acolyte|
|Studio album by Steve Hackett|
|Recorded||June–July 1975 at Kingsway Recorders|
|Length||40:52 (Original issue)|
|Producer||Steve Hackett, John Acock|
|Steve Hackett chronology|
Voyage of the Acolyte is the debut solo album from then-Genesis guitarist Steve Hackett while he was still with the band. The album was recorded two weeks after the last show of the The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway tour and was released in 1975 on Chrysalis Records in the US and Charisma Records for the rest of the world.
It featured heavy contributions from Genesis bandmates Phil Collins and Mike Rutherford. In an interview with Phoenix FM Hackett stated that some of the tracks, particularly Shadow of the Hierophant, were rehearsed by Genesis during the writing and recording of Foxtrot in 1972. 
After this album, Hackett began to feel stifled within the democratic approach to the way Genesis placed music on their albums and the band began putting pressure on Hackett to quit his solo act. Eventually, the album was certified as a silver disc in the UK. The album limited Hackett on the recording of Genesis' next album A Trick of the Tail. In a 1987 MTV interview Genesis keyboardist Tony Banks stated that the album didn't do much for Genesis, however it is considered by many Genesis fans to be a lost Genesis album.
All songs written by Steve Hackett, except where indicated.
- "Ace of Wands" – 5:23
- "Hands of the Priestess I" – 3:28
- "A Tower Struck Down" (Steve Hackett, John Hackett) – 4:53
- "Hands of the Priestess II" – 1:31
- "The Hermit" – 4:49
- "Star of Sirius" – 7:08
- "The Lovers" – 1:50
- "Shadow of the Hierophant" (Steve Hackett, Mike Rutherford) – 11:44
- The timings for "The Lovers" and "Shadow of the Hierophant" on the original vinyl were listed as 8:59 and 5:23, respectively. Both were incorrect.
- 2005 Remaster Bonus Tracks
- "Ace of Wands" (Live) – 6:32
- "Shadow of the Hierophant" (Extended Playout Version) – 17:01
Credits are adapted from Voyage of the Acolyte liner notes.
- Steve Hackett – electric & acoustic guitars, Mellotron, harmonium, bells, autoharp, vocal on "The Hermit", effects
- John Hackett – flute, ARP synthesizer, bells
- Mike Rutherford – bass guitar, bass pedals, 12-string fuzz-bass
- Phil Collins – drums, vibes, percussion, vocals on "Star of Sirius"
- John Acock – Elka synthesizer, Mellotron, harmonium, piano
- Sally Oldfield – vocal on "Shadow of the Hierophant"
- Robin Miller – oboe on "Star of Sirius", English horn on "The Hermit"
- Nigel Warren-Green – cello on "The Hermit"
- Percy Jones – additional bass guitar on "A Tower Struck Down"
- Johnny Gustafson – bass guitar on "Star of Sirius"
- Engineering by John Acock
- Assistant engineers: Louie Austin ("Hierophant" only), Paul Watkins, Rob Broglia
- Equipment: Tex Read, Geoff Banks, Steve Baker
- Organization: Tony Smith, Alex Sim
- Artwork by Kim Poor – this album art won Album Cover of the Year 1976.
- DeGagne (2011). "Voyage of the Acolyte – Steve Hackett | AllMusic". allmusic.com. Retrieved 25 July 2011.
- Golder, Paul (2014). "Steve Hackett talks about Genesis, touring and his new album". phoenixfm.com. Retrieved 11 September 2014.
- (1975). "Voyage of the Acolyte liner notes". In Voyage of the Acolyte [Album cover]. Charisma.