|Historical region||Moldavia, Muntenia|
|• Total||4,857 km2 (1,875 sq mi)|
|• Density||80/km2 (210/sq mi)|
|Telephone code||(+40) 237 or (+40) 337|
|ISO 3166 code||RO-VN|
Vrancea (Romanian pronunciation: [ˈvrant͡ʃe̯a]) is a county (județ) in Romania, with its seat at Focșani. It is mostly in the historical region of Moldavia but the southern part, below the Milcov River, is in Muntenia.
In 2011, it had a population of 323,080 and a population density of 66.51/km².
Vrancea County's area is of 4,857 km².
A curvedly shaped mountainous area, known in Romanian as Carpații de Curbură, lies in the western part of the county, at the Southern end of Eastern Carpathians, with heights over 1400 m. To the East, the heights decrease into hilly areas and the lower valley of Siret River.
The area is a seismically active one, with yearly earthquakes whose focal depths are between 80 and 160 km and therefore affect wide regions. The most notable is the 1977 Vrancea earthquake, which killed over 1500 people in Romania and Bulgaria.
- Vaslui County and Galați County to the East.
- Covasna County to the West.
- Bacău County to the North.
- Buzău County to the South and Brăila County to the South-East.
The county is famous for its wines, being the biggest wine producer in Romania. Over 11% of the county surface is covered with vines. The county's best known wine regions are Panciu - 8100 ha, Odobești - 7000 ha, and Cotești.
County's main industries:
- Foods and beverages;
- Paper manufacturing and furniture making;
- Mechanical parts and components.
- Cookware and bakeware production
County's main destinations:
- The city of Focșani.
- Vrancea Mountains.
- Soveja Resort.
- Tulnici - Lepșa - Greșu tourist areas.
- Eternal Fire (Focul viu in Romanian) in Andreiașu.
- Wine tasting and sales around Panciu, Odobești, and Cotești.
- The Mausoleum at Mărășești.
- Putna-Vrancea Natural Park
Vrancea County has 2 municipalities, 3 towns and 68 communes
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vrancea County.|
- The number used depends on the numbering system employed by the phone companies on the market.
- National Institute of Statistics, "Populația după etnie"
- National Institute of Statistics, "Populația la recensămintele din anii 1948, 1956, 1966, 1977, 1992 și 2002"
- Portal of Vrancea County
- Vrancea.com.ro ~ Trecut, prezent si viitor / Past, present and future
- www.carnivoremari.ro ~ Large carnivore protection in Vrancea county
- www.carnivoremari.ro/rezervatii ~ Protected areas from Vrancea mountains
- Vrancea Online - Vrancea County's Start Page on the Internet