Panorama of Vrbovec
|• Mayor||Vladimir Bregović (HDZ)|
|• Total||159.05 km2 (61.41 sq mi)|
|Highest elevation||125 m (410 ft)|
|• Density||99/km2 (260/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
The town of Vrbovec lies to the north-east of Zagreb, either 32 km (20 mi) along the highway A4 (Zagreb - Sv.Helena), and then D10 expressway (Sv. Helena - Vrbovec) or 40 km (25 mi) by the old state road, Zagreb - Dugo Selo - Bjelovar, and by train through direction Zagreb - Vrbovec - Koprivnica - Hungary.
- Banovo, population 113
- Brčevec, population 546
- Celine, population 977
- Cerik, population 48
- Cerje, population 217
- Dijaneš, population 167
- Đivan, population 32
- Donji Tkalec, population 97
- Dulepska, population 155
- Gaj, population 381
- Gornji Tkalec, population 185
- Gostović, population 139
- Graberanec, population 0
- Graberšćak, population 87
- Greda, population 96
- Hruškovica, population 71
- Konak, population 115
- Krkač, population 89
- Kućari, population 92
- Lonjica, population 1,020
- Lovrečka Varoš, population 157
- Lovrečka Velika, population 198
- Luka, population 840
- Lukovo, population 184
- Marenić, population 58
- Martinska Ves, population 506
- Naselje Stjepana Radića, population 246
- Negovec, population 176
- Novo Selo, population 123
- Peskovec, population 323
- Pirakovec, population 170
- Podolec, population 96
- Poljana, population 423
- Poljanski Lug, population 425
- Prilesje, population 181
- Samoborec, population 117
- Savska Cesta, population 162
- Topolovec, population 133
- Vrbovec, population 4,947
- Vrbovečki Pavlovec, population 398
- Vrhovec, population 140
- Žunci, population 167
In 2011, 97.66% of the population were Croats.
City government, court, police, health and postal services are the part of infrastructure of Vrbovec. The current mayor since 2005 is Vladimir Bregović, who succeeded Zlatko Herček, mayor from 2001 to 2005.
Vrbovec was first mentioned in written documents dated April 21, 1244. The document today lies in the Archbishop's archive in Zagreb, in serial Privilegialia. It was published by Croatian-Hungarian King Bela III (IV), where feudal field was given to the countman Junk, the son of Izak from Ravno (village), whose right are confirmed from the Koloman (brother of King Bela). The countman Junk was the higher officer at Križevci's county.
The main industries in Vrbovec are the production of meat and meat products, bricks, and metal working machines. The most important local employer is Meat Industry PIK Vrbovec, which employs 1500 people. As a part of the conglomeration Agrokor, it has become a very important producer of meat in the last few years in Croatia. Other local companies include Gradip (brickworks), Oprema Vrbovec which manufactures transport technology machinery, and the Society of Private entrepreneurs of Vrbovec.
- ban Petar Zrinski, born in Vrbovec, 1621
- Marija Jurić Zagorka, first female journalist in Croatia and writer, born in the neighboring village of Negovec
- Eugène de Piennes, French marquise, collector
- Krunoslav Kuten, writer for children
- Josip Velebit
- Josip Buturac, historian
- Josip Pankretić, parliamentarian
- Leona Paraminski, Croatian actress
Monuments and Sightseeings
Notable buildings in Vrbovec include the Mausoleum of family De Piennes in the local cemetery. the Tower of Petar Zrinski in Vrbovec, the castle of Patačić in Vrbovec, the castle of Lovrečina Grad, and the church of Saint Vitus in Vrbovec.
The first elementary school was founded in 1669. Today Vrbovec has two elementary schools and one high-school.
Vrbovec has got a local small cinema, culture-art society HKUD "Petar Zrinski", a library, a radio station Vrbovec, and the people's university of Vrbovec. There is no local TV station, theatre (opera) or university. People travel to Zagreb as the centre of these activities.
"Kaj su jeli naši stari" is the main annual event in Vrbovec. June 15 is the town day, and the celebration of Saint Vitus, the protector of Vrbovec. Vrbovečka udruga mladih is an organisation very popular among the younger people of Vrbovec.
The local Soccer Club is NK "Vrbovec", usually a member of third division of the Croatian Soccer League. There is a Basketball Club KK "Petar Zrinski", and a Wrestling club HK "Vrbovec".
- "City of Vrbovec (local government)" (in Croatian). Retrieved December 16, 2012.
- "Population by Age and Sex, by Settlements, 2011 Census: Vrbovec". Census of Population, Households and Dwellings 2011. Zagreb: Croatian Bureau of Statistics. December 2012.
- "Population by Ethnicity, by Towns/Municipalities, 2011 Census: County of Zagreb". Census of Population, Households and Dwellings 2011. Zagreb: Croatian Bureau of Statistics. December 2012.
- "Accident description". Aviation Safety Network. Flight Safety Foundation. 8 July 2010. Retrieved 9 July 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vrbovec.|
- Official website (Croatian)