|Stable release||6.0.0 / January 27, 2014|
|Available in||multilingual (~20)|
|Type||Customer Relationship Management|
vtiger CRM is an open source CRM application that was forked from SugarCRM with the intention of being a fully open source CRM application with comparable functionality to SugarCRM and Salesforce.com. It offers reporting, a customer portal and an Outlook plugin in its free edition, whereas those functions are in paid versions of the other CRM applications.
In its most recent version 5.4.0 (current as of April 19, 2012), vtiger offers all the usual CRM functions:
- Sales automation (customizable product entries, inventory management, quotations, billing, and trouble ticketing)
- Customer support & service functions, including a customer self-service portal
- Marketing automation (lead generation, campaign support, knowledge bases)
- Inventory Management
- Analysis and reporting
User interaction features include:
- Integration with corporate E-mail systems (plugin for Microsoft Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird extension)
- Support of the Asterisk PBX phone system
- Tag cloud functionality
- RSS feed subscription
- PDF document generation via the TCPDF library
- Integration with QuickBooks Accounting Packages, Magento Shopping Cart.
In addition, vtiger features multiple database support, security management, and various web forms. The project is available in over 15 different languages.
Interface similarities between vtiger and the CRM module of the Zoho Office Suite have been noted, however, this seems to be attributable to common corporate sponsorship, not to a common software code base.
vtiger CRM installation is done entirely from an HTML/PHP web interface. One can install vtiger CRM 4.X and 5.x on a standard webserver using cPanel provided they have the correct version of PHP and MySQL already installed. Beginning with version 5.x, the vtiger CRM package is available with an optional PHP/MySQL bundled installer. The procedure involves downloading the .tar files from the vtiger CRM website and then using the control panel file manager to upload and untar the source files. Open source program files, extensions, and language packs are available from the vtiger CRM downloads page.