He was born in Saigon, Vietnam in 1975 and grew up in Tulsa, Oklahoma. He graduated from the University of Tulsa with an MA, from the Iowa Writers’ Workshop with an MFA, and from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas as a Glenn Schaeffer Fellow in Fiction with a Ph.D.
- 2011 Finalist Award - Vilcek Prize for Creative Promise in Literature
- 2009 Whiting Writers' Award
- 2004 Lawrence Foundation Prize from the Michigan Quarterly Review
- 2003 Short-Story Award for New Writers from Glimmer Train Stories
- Dragonfish: A Novel (2015)
- Laura Furman, ed. (2007). The O. Henry Prize Stories 2007. Random House, Inc. ISBN 978-0-307-27688-9.
- Susan Burmeister-Brown, Linda Swanson-Davies, ed. (November 1, 2002). Glimmer Train Stories, #45. Glimmer Train Press Inc. ISBN 978-1-880966-44-0.
- Best American Mystery Stories 2009
- Las Vegas Noir
- A Best of Fence: The First Nine Years