Würenlos village center
|• Total||9.02 km2 (3.48 sq mi)|
|Elevation||421 m (1,381 ft)|
|Population (Dec 2013)|
|• Density||660/km2 (1,700/sq mi)|
|Surrounded by||Wettingen, Otelfingen, Hüttikon, Oetwil an der Limmat, Spreitenbach, Killwangen, Neuenhof|
Würenlos is a municipality in the district of Baden in the canton of Aargau in Switzerland. It lies north of the river Limmat, next to the canton of Zürich, located in the Limmat Valley (German: Limmattal).
Würenlos has an area, as of 2006[update], of 9 square kilometers (3.5 sq mi). Of this area, 43.1% is used for agricultural purposes, while 34.1% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 20.7% is settled (buildings or roads) and the remainder (2.1%) is non-productive (rivers or lakes).
Coat of arms
Würenlos has a population (as of 31 December 2013) of 5,972. As of 2008[update], 13.1% of the population was made up of foreign nationals. Over the last 10 years the population has grown at a rate of 14.3%. Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks German (92.4%), with Italian being second most common ( 1.5%) and French being third ( 1.2%).
The age distribution, as of 2008[update], in Würenlos is; 548 children or 10.4% of the population are between 0 and 9 years old and 627 teenagers or 11.9% are between 10 and 19. Of the adult population, 497 people or 9.4% of the population are between 20 and 29 years old. 655 people or 12.4% are between 30 and 39, 1,009 people or 19.1% are between 40 and 49, and 762 people or 14.5% are between 50 and 59. The senior population distribution is 663 people or 12.6% of the population are between 60 and 69 years old, 348 people or 6.6% are between 70 and 79, there are 134 people or 2.5% who are between 80 and 89,and there are 27 people or 0.5% who are 90 and older.
As of 2000[update], there were 152 homes with 1 or 2 persons in the household, 927 homes with 3 or 4 persons in the household, and 834 homes with 5 or more persons in the household. The average number of people per household was 2.43 individuals. In 2008[update] there were 945 single family homes (or 40.8% of the total) out of a total of 2,318 homes and apartments. There were a total of 4 empty apartments for a 0.2% vacancy rate. As of 2007[update], the construction rate of new housing units was 4.4 new units per 1000 residents.
In Würenlos about 83.8% of the population (between age 25-64) have completed either non-mandatory upper secondary education or additional higher education (either university or a Fachhochschule). Of the school age population (in the 2008/2009 school year[update]), there are 417 students attending primary school, there are 140 students attending secondary school in the municipality.
The historical population is given in the following table:
Heritage sites of national significance
The Benedictine women's convent of Fahr in Würenlos was founded around 1130 AD. It is listed as a heritage site of national significance, as is the Ancient Roman quarry in Würenlos. The Emma Kunz painting collection was listed in the 1995 version of the Inventory, but not in 2008 listing.
As of 2007[update], Würenlos had an unemployment rate of 1.69%. As of 2005[update], there were 111 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 27 businesses involved in this sector. 652 people are employed in the secondary sector and there are 56 businesses in this sector. 1,115 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 192 businesses in this sector.
As of 2000[update] there was a total of 2,645 workers who lived in the municipality. Of these, 2,052 or about 77.6% of the residents worked outside Würenlos while 920 people commuted into the municipality for work. There were a total of 1,513 jobs (of at least 6 hours per week) in the municipality. Of the working population, 19.6% used public transportation to get to work, and 53.3% used a private car.
From the 2000 census[update], 2,136 or 44.6% are Roman Catholic, while 1,750 or 36.5% belonged to the Swiss Reformed Church. Of the rest of the population, there are 7 individuals (or about 0.15% of the population) who belong to the Christian Catholic faith.
- Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeindedaten nach 4 Hauptbereichen
- Swiss Federal Statistics Office – STAT-TAB Ständige und Nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach Region, Geschlecht, Nationalität und Alter (German) accessed 18 August 2014
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office accessed 13-February-2010
- Flags of the World.com accessed 13-February-2010
- Statistical Department of Canton Aargau -Bereich 01 -Bevölkerung (German) accessed 20 January 2010
- Statistical Department of Canton Aargau -Bevölkerungsdaten für den Kanton Aargau und die Gemeinden (Archiv) (German) accessed 20 January 2010
- Statistical Department of Canton Aargau - Aargauer Zahlen 2009 (German) accessed 20 January 2010
- Statistical Department of Canton Aargau (German) accessed 20 January 2010
- Swiss inventory of cultural property of national and regional significance 21.11.2008 version, (German) accessed 13-Feb-2010
- Swiss inventory of cultural property of national and regional significance (1995), p. 50.
- Statistical Department of Canton Aargau-Bereich 11 Verkehr und Nachrichtenwesen (German) accessed 21 January 2010
- official website
- Kempfhof in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Würenlos.|