W. T. White High School
|W. T. White High School|
|4505 Ridgeside Drive
Dallas, Texas 75244 USA
|School district||Dallas Independent School District|
|Principal||Michelle Thompson |
|Number of students||2,253|
|Color(s)||Burnt orange and White|
|Trustee dist.||1, Elizabeth Jones |
|Learning Community||Schools Division 2-W.T. White High School Feeder Pattern, Anita Hardwick, Executive Director |
The school, named in honor of the Dallas school superintendent who served from 1946 to 1968, is located in North Dallas about a mile southwest of the Interstate 635 (LBJ Freeway) and Dallas North Tollway intersection. Parts of North Dallas (including portions of Preston Hollow) are zoned to W. T. White, as well as sections of Addison, Carrollton, and Farmers Branch.
The school was established in 1964 and named for the superintendent then in office, Dr. Warren Travis White.
In 2009, the state classified almost half of White's graduates as "college ready," or ready to undergo university studies. The State of Texas defined "college readiness" by scores on the ACT and SAT and in the 11th grade Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills (TAKS) tests. During the same year, the school's student body had 22% poor students, and 27% of its students had a risk of dropping out. Holly K. Hacker of The Dallas Morning News said that the rate "is higher than expected for the school where about two-thirds of students are poor or at risk of dropping out."
1971 11-4A, 1974 11-4A, 1976 11-4A, 1977 11-4A, 1978 11-4A, 1979 11-4A, 1990 11-4A, 1994 12-4A
- Jean Barrett (1968) — former NFL offensive lineman 1973-1980, San Francisco 49ers
- Glenn Box - (1977) - former Dallas city councilman
- Becky Reid - (1977) - Teenage Miss America
- Trey Beamon (1992) — former Major League Baseball outfielder 1996-98, Pittsburgh Pirates, San Diego Padres, Detroit Tigers
- David Beecroft (1974) — television actor (Falcon Crest, Melrose Place, Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman)
- Vice Admiral John G. Cotton (1969) — former chief of the United States Navy Reserve
- Bryan Holaday (2006) - Major League Baseball catcher for the Detroit Tigers
- Karen Hughes (1974) — United States Under Secretary for Public Diplomacy and Public Affairs
- Calvin Murray (1989) — former Major League Baseball outfielder 1999-2004, San Francisco Giants, Texas Rangers, Chicago Cubs
- Ramón Núñez (2003) — English Football League Championship midfielder for Leeds United. Honduras national team 2007–present
- Johnny Simmons (2005) — television and film actor: Dylan Baxter in Evan Almighty (2007), Young Spirit in The Spirit (2008), Dave in Hotel for Dogs (2009), Chip in Jennifer's Body (2009), Young Neil in Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
- Wiley Turner (1975) — Green Bay Packers and Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- Jason Smith (2004) — Offensive tackle for the St. Louis Rams
- Scott Verplank (1982) — professional golfer
- Gary Jacobs - (1970) Executive Producer/Head Writer of hit TV series "Empty Nest"; Creator/Executive Producer of "Woops!" and "All-American Girl"; writer on "Newhart"; and many other
- Terrance Williams - Wide receiver for Dallas Cowboys
- Dallas ISD - W. T. White High School. Retrieved on 24 April 2007.
- Texas Education Agency - School Directory - type in school number "057905021" and select "view report." Retrieved on 24 April 2007.
- Dallas ISD - Schools by Trustee. (PDF). Retrieved on 24 April 2007.
- Dallas ISD - Schools by Area. (PDF). Retrieved on 24 April 2007.
- Jacobs, Mary. "Preston Hollow adding Bushes to list of high-profile residents." The Dallas Morning News. January 7, 2009. Retrieved on October 12, 2011.
- "Fall 2011 W. T. White High School Attendance Zone Grades 9-12." Dallas Independent School District. Retrieved on October 11, 2011.
- Kantrowitz, Barbara; Julie Scelfo; William Lee Adams (2006-05-23). "The Complete List: 1,200 Top U.S. Schools". Newsweek. p. 2. Archived from the original on 2007-04-23. Retrieved 2007-04-25.
- Hacker, Holly K. "Analysis shows true Texas high school performance, stripping away socioeconomic factors." The Dallas Morning News. September 3, 2011. Retrieved on February 10, 2012.
- "My High School: W. T. White HS famous alumni," The Dallas Morning News sports section online.
- Gretel C. Kovach. "Q&A with Vice Adm. John G. Cotton - 'My friends were murdered. So I'm doing it for them.' - Former American Airlines pilot sets out to make the Navy 'one team'," The Dallas Morning News, September 26, 2004, Sunday Reader section, page 6H.
- Ken Stephens. "Baseball's lack of blacks: faster sports, inner-city troubles steer them away from game," The Dallas Morning News, May 28, 1989, Sports Day section, page 1B: "Calvin Murray has every skill a major league scout could want in a baseball player -- able to hit, hit with power, run, throw and field. At the very least, Murray, a senior at Dallas' W.T. White High School, will attend the University of Texas next fall on a baseball scholarship. But Murray, ranked the nation's No. 7 prospect by Baseball America, likely will be a high pick in the major league draft June 5 and might opt to sign a professional contract."