|City of license||Selma, Alabama|
|Branding||Alabama Public Radio|
|First air date||May 5, 1996|
|HAAT||427 meters (1,401 ft)|
|Callsign meaning||Alabama Public Radio.|
|Affiliations||National Public Radio
American Public Media
Public Radio International
|Owner||University of Alabama, Troy University and Alabama State University
(UA-ASU-TSU Educational Radio Corporation)
WAPR (88.3 FM) is an American non-commercial educational radio station licensed to serve Selma, Alabama. The station is jointly owned by the University of Alabama, Alabama State University, and Troy University and is operated by UA as part of the Alabama Public Radio network.
WAPR airs APR's schedule of news and talk programming, classical music, folk music, jazz, adult album alternative, and nostalgic music programs. The station derives portions of its programming from National Public Radio, American Public Media, and Public Radio International.
In January 1991, a cooperative operating as the UA-ASU-TSU Educational Radio Corporation applied to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) for a construction permit for a new broadcast radio station. The FCC granted this permit on June 20, 1995, with a scheduled expiration date of December 20, 1996. The new station was assigned call sign "WAPR" on August 11, 1995. After construction and testing were completed in May 1996, the station was granted its broadcast license on August 14, 1996.
- "Directory of Radio Stations in the U.S.". Broadcasting & Cable Yearbook 1999. New Providence, NJ: R.R. Bowker. 1999. p. D-13. Retrieved December 21, 2011.
- "Station Information Profile". Arbitron. Retrieved December 21, 2011.
- "Application Search Details (BPED-19910116MS)". FCC Media Bureau. June 20, 1995. Retrieved December 2, 2011.
- "Call Sign History". FCC Media Bureau. August 11, 1995. Retrieved December 2, 2011.
- "Application Search Details (BLED-19960515KC)". FCC Media Bureau. August 14, 1996. Retrieved December 2, 2011.
- APR official website
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WAPR
- Radio-Locator information on WAPR
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WAPR