The Best Address
|Headquarters||Bonita Springs, FL|
|Eastern United States|
|Keith Bass, CEO
Russel Devendorf, CFO
|Revenue||US$ 444 million (2008)|
Number of employees
WCI Communities, Inc. is an American home builder. The company offers single family and condominium homes. WCI also provides design, construction, financing, land purchases, marketing, and community management services. The company operates realty, mortgage, and title businesses. WCI is based in Bonita Springs, Florida and develops new home communities in Florida. WCI also manages clubhouses, golf courses, restaurants, and marinas in some of the communities it develops.
- 1 History
- 2 Heated Housing Market
- 3 Imported Drywall
- 4 Awards and Community Involvement
- 5 Communities
- 6 References
- 7 External links
WCI was founded in 1995 as WCI Communities Inc, purchased from Westinghouse Communities, Inc., retaining WCI initials in their new name. In 2002, WCI Communities, Inc. issued an Initial Public Offering and became a publicly traded company on the New York Stock Exchange, trading under the symbol: WCI. WCI's current Chief Executive Officer and President is Keith Bass. WCI reorganized and emerged as a new privately held company on September 3, 2009.
Heated Housing Market
WCI specialized in luxury and second homes and had solid growth since its founding reaching a height of $2.6B in sales and $186M in profit in 2005. They were sharply affected by the 2005 real estate downturn. Several factors contributed to their need to reorganize. First, a significant portion of their business was in high rise towers. Once construction is started on high rise towers, it is difficult to cease construction and thereby control cost. Second, WCI speculated on large land purchases, carrying large debt on land that was subsequently devalued. Third, their regular (non-tower) communities had large unsold inventories that were also devalued during the downturn. Eventually, the debt was too large to carry with their operating revenues and they filed for Chapter 11.
WCI is one of many real estate developers affected by the Chinese drywall controversy. Like many other builders, they faced construction material supply shortages during the boom years and engaged contactors that used the faulty Chinese drywall. The issue was made part of the bankruptcy reorganization. Claimants are represented by a trust established in the court approved Plan of Reorganization.
Awards and Community Involvement
America's Best Builder
Extreme Makeover - Home Edition
In January 2007, the company was featured on ABC’s Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. Together with volunteers, sub-contractors, local businesses, and Tampa Bay area residents, WCI rebuilt a home in 96 hours for the Tate Family on Davis Island who had lost their home in a plane crash.
Shark Shootout Golf Tournament
WCI is a major sponseor of the Shark Shootout golf tournament held at the Tiburon Golf resort in Naples, Florida. Tiburon is one of the communities developed by WCI Communities and features two golf courses and a Ritz Carlton Hotel. The annual event is professional golf tournament founded by Greg Norman and benefits the National Childhood Cancer Foundation
- Artesia - Naples, FL
- Carrara at Talis Park - Naples, FL
- Estates at Tuscany - Delray Beach, FL
- Hampton Park at Gateway - Fort Myers, FL
- Heron Bay - Parkland, FL
- LaMorada - Naples, FL
- Livingston Lakes - Naples, FL
- Pelican Preserve - Fort Myers, FL
- Raffia Preserve- Naples, FL
- The Links at Rosedale- Brandenton, FL
- Sarasota National - Venice, FL
- Shadow Wood Preserve - Fort Myers, FL
- Timberwood Preserve - Fort Myers, FL
- The Colony - Bonita Springs, FL
- Tidewater Preserve - Bradenton, FL
- Venetian Golf and River Club - Venice, FL
- Westshore Yacht Club - Tampa, FL
Florida Sky Homes℠
Florida Country Clubs
- Lost Key - Predido Key, FL
- Venetian Golf and Country Club- North Venice, FL
- Sarasota National Golf Club- Venice, FL
- Pelican Preserve Golf and Country Club- Fort Myers, FL
- Raptor Bay Golf Club- Bonita Springs, FL
- The Colony Golf & Country Club- Bonita Springs, FL
- Tiburon Golf & Country Club- Naples, FL
- "WCI Press Release - Chapter 11 Emergence" (PDF). September 3, 2009.
- "WCI Communities files for reorganization". July 29, 2008.
- "WCI’s 2Q losses climb to $100.2 million". August 5, 2008.
- "WCI supplied Chinese drywall". January 28, 2009.
- "WCI Communities Reserved $11 Million for Chinese Drywall Problems". March 2, 2009.
- WCI Communities, Inc. "Public Home Builders Council of America (2004).".
- "Showtime for 'Makeover'". St. Petersburg Times. January 9, 2007. Retrieved 2008-01-25.